LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 2 2019

Ezio

Budget phone for dad

Hi,
I want to get my dad a budget phone(>200$). He's 54, just cares about wa, camera, size of the phone (small preferred) and the volume(he have hearing problems). So I want to decide between y6 2019(130$),y7 2019(180), A20(180) or alpha 5.1 plus(160)(I'm cautious with this because there is no official dealer and it may be hard to find cover for it).
Thanks,

#2 June 2 2019

Toufic

Re: Budget phone for dad

Unless a small size phone is crucial (go with the Nokia but you'd be taking a risk since there isn't an official distributor/wakeel)

I'd go with the Y7, better specs, good battery and it would last him longer.

#3 June 2 2019

xazbrat

Toufic wrote:

Unless a small size phone is crucial (go with the Nokia but you'd be taking a risk since there isn't an official distributor/wakeel)

While a solid choice, would avoid any Huawei phones until things settle out between Trump and China.  If you you decide on the A20, spend a few dollars more and get the A30 (better camera and display and same size).  You could try an HTC phone--they do have the size that your father wants.

#4 June 2 2019

Salloum

The huawei ban won’t last. Trump is only creating a bargaining chip for himself.

#5 June 2 2019

Ezio

Toufic wrote:

What are the cons of not having a wakeel? Also  protection is crucial.

#6 June 2 2019

rolf

Salloum wrote:

The huawei ban won’t last. Trump is only creating a bargaining chip for himself.

Regardless, it seems that keeping the software up-to-date is not Huawei's strongest point.
All manufacturers seem to have this problem to some extent. But if one brand is better then the others at that I would go with that brand. I think Samsung are supposed to be better at that.

I was looking for a phone a while ago, and wanted to get the Huawei Nova 3 (not the lite or i version. it costs $300 +).

For a cheaper phone there is the Samsung A10, you can get one new for $130 or maybe a little less. But the screen is 1520 x 720 which I felt was low. Also not exactly a small phone.

Last edited by rolf (June 2 2019)

#7 June 3 2019

Salloum

Samsung are atrocious at software updates, just as bad if not worse than Huawei tbh.

#8 June 3 2019

rolf

So do you know which options would provide long term software updates, by any chance? I know about Nexus but they are usually too expensive.

I can tell you it's probably not LG - I had an LG phone and they provided OS updates for about 2 years. I am looking for something longer than that.

Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread just to ask in case you know.

Last edited by rolf (June 3 2019)

#9 June 3 2019

LifeEngineer

Got my mom a xiaomi Mi A2 lite! Such a nice little phone! It has android one software! So should be good with updates and is quite smooth without bloatware; 4gb of ram, good 625 snapdragon cpu, 64gb of storage and 4000mah! She and I, we're loving it!

#10 June 3 2019

Salloum

rolf wrote:

So do you know which options would provide long term software updates, by any chance? I know about Nexus but they are usually too expensive.

I can tell you it's probably not LG - I had an LG phone and they provided OS updates for about 2 years. I am looking for something longer than that.

Sorry I don't mean to hijack the thread just to ask in case you know.

OnePlus and Pixel, really. Anything else is mediocre at best.

#11 June 3 2019

xazbrat

LifeEngineer wrote:

Got my mom a xiaomi Mi A2 lite! Such a nice little phone! It has android one software! So should be good with updates and is quite smooth without bloatware; 4gb of ram, good 625 snapdragon cpu, 64gb of storage and 4000mah! She and I, we're loving it!

Was going to suggest this also---any android one phone you can find here will be probably the best in terms of software and updates.  I don't think you are worried about your dad being a gamer, so mid tier Soc's are a good option.  For more android one phones, check here.  There are a few phones on that list which can be found here including the Xiaomi Mi 2 and 2 lite and  a few Nokia models as well.

#12 June 3 2019

NuclearVision

Not to hijack the thread (sorry op) but I've been on custom rom for 3 years, what am i missing with software updated other than the added features i don't care about. Is it security: Honestly does it make a difference in real world?

#13 June 3 2019

Ezio

xazbrat wrote:
LifeEngineer wrote:

Was going to suggest this also---any android one phone you can find here will be probably the best in terms of software and updates.  I don't think you are worried about your dad being a gamer, so mid tier Soc's are a good option.  For more android one phones, check here.  There are a few phones on that list which can be found here including the Xiaomi Mi 2 and 2 lite and  a few Nokia models as well.

Thanks for the reply but I want to buy thr phone from amhaz. He doesn't sell these brands..

#14 June 5 2019

Salloum

NuclearVision wrote:

Not to hijack the thread (sorry op) but I've been on custom rom for 3 years, what am i missing with software updated other than the added features i don't care about. Is it security: Honestly does it make a difference in real world?

It does make a difference. If it’s worth it to you is another story. 3 year old Androids don’t get updates anyway, even Pixels.

#15 June 5 2019

NuclearVision

Salloum wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

It does make a difference. If it’s worth it to you is another story. 3 year old Androids don’t get updates anyway, even Pixels.

any tangible experience?

#16 June 6 2019

Salloum

I haven’t really used Android since 2014. But its a no brainer that security patches will get rid of any vulnerability your device may have. Some people don’t carry really sensitive data and could care less about these things, and I totally understand.

#17 June 6 2019

Salloum

We entirely hijacked this thread though! OP, as others mentioned, the Y7 is pretty much the best bang for your buck.

#18 June 6 2019

xazbrat

Salloum wrote:

We entirely hijacked this thread though! OP, as others mentioned, the Y7 is pretty much the best bang for your buck.

Still wouldn't get a Huawei phone--their future is uncertain right now and unlike lots of brands, it is almost impossible to install a custom rom to stay updated ( and to get rid of the obtrusive EMUI).  A Samsung or HTC phone would be better choices IMO.  Also, the Y7 has a pretty crappy screen like the Samsung A10 (720x1520), but at least the A10 has an AMOLED screen (if you consider that a silver lining).  Still getting an Android one phone (cheapest one available here is Xiaomi A2 lite) is best choice to keep android updated and you can install the Google camera APK to get the best out of the camera.

#19 June 6 2019

rolf

Good advice, thanks

#20 June 6 2019

NuclearVision

I really feel bad for huawei, they offer really good values phone, i hope trump reverses what he did.
The fact that I hate samsung phones (They become sluggish pretty much after a year of use in MY experience), and apple prices are ridiculous made me go for huawei and I don't regret it.
For your father I'd suggest you to still buy the huawei, I think the U.S. sanctions will not make a difference in your case.

#21 June 6 2019

Salloum

I personally don’t think the huawei ban will last. It’ll be lifted when they reach a trade deal agreement. EMUI isn’t as bad as it was and Huawei have upped their update game recently

#22 June 6 2019

dp0001

Hey!

this -> https://www.hicart.com/mobile-tablets/n … 1drgbw1a05

Nokia 6.1 plus, android one, snapdragon 600 series , super discounted (though battery not so strong if he is a heavy user)

Last edited by dp0001 (June 6 2019)

#23 June 7 2019

rolf

dp0001 wrote:

Hey!

Nokia 6.1 plus, android one, snapdragon 600 series , super discounted (though battery not so strong if he is a heavy user)

Thank you, I think this is good advice! Do you think it can be had for less? It's already a decent price though.

There is also the Xiaomi Mi A2 which should be similarly priced and also support Android One but with slightly better specs. Can it be found in Lebanon?

xazbrat wrote:

but at least the A10 has an AMOLED screen

Apparently it doesn't. I read that it has a good screen but the specs I found list LCD not AMOLED.

The Samsung A20 has AMOLED.

Last edited by rolf (June 7 2019)

#24 June 8 2019

Ezio

rolf wrote:
dp0001 wrote:

Hey!

Thank you, I think this is good advice! Do you think it can be had for less? It's already a decent price though.

There is also the Xiaomi Mi A2 which should be similarly priced and also support Android One but with slightly better specs. Can it be found in Lebanon?

xazbrat wrote:

but at least the A10 has an AMOLED screen

Apparently it doesn't. I read that it has a good screen but the specs I found list LCD not AMOLED.

The Samsung A20 has AMOLED.

Where I can find the Xiaomi Mi A2, I searched major shops( amhaz and ctc..) but none have it.

#25 June 8 2019

Ezio

dp0001 wrote:

Hey!

THANKS! But where I can find a good cover/protector for the phone, Hicart don't have one, same goes for amhaz and ctc..

Last edited by Ezio (June 8 2019)

Board footer