LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 30 2019

Ezio

Won a scholarship

Hi,
I recently won a full scholarship in my 3rd semester. It was a huge surprise for me and will save us a lot of money. However I didn't tell my parents yet. I'm looking for a creative and memorable way to tell them. If anyone has any ideas please share.
Thanks in advance

#2 May 30 2019

Elitism Guru

Re: Won a scholarship

Congrats!! I have no idea if I were in your place too!

#3 May 30 2019

VincentKeyboard

Perhaps something along the lines "hey guys, do you remember that trip to France you always wanted but could not afford because of my university tuition?"

#4 May 30 2019

Hybrid

I know many who would take the money and spend them

or You can be sad for a day or two, and when they ask what's wrong, say you failed your courses, then when they get sad or angry, tell them it was a joke, that's what I would do

#5 May 30 2019

Elitism Guru

Hybrid wrote:

Them poor parents, after graduation they end up spending on him/her more as well since a job is lottery in Lebanon.
I would save them, for them.

#6 May 30 2019

xazbrat

Hybrid wrote:

or You can be sad for a day or two, and when they ask what's wrong, say you failed your courses, then when they get sad or angry, tell them it was a joke, that's what I would do

Wouldn't go that far and try to give them a heart attack , but would try to throw in some kind of good news/bad news scenario.   Got some news today and my uni will not take your money   pause ---because you got a scholarship.  They should be thrilled and as a bonus, won't need a trip to the ER :

#7 May 30 2019

Elitism Guru

xazbrat wrote:
Hybrid wrote:

Wouldn't go that far and try to give them a heart attack , but would try to throw in some kind of good news/bad news scenario.   Got some news today and my uni will not take your money   pause ---because you got a scholarship.  They should be thrilled and as a bonus, won't need a trip to the ER :

You got it wrong, say you failed your courses, use the money for the ER.

#8 May 30 2019

rolf

Bad news pranks can backfire.

Like the guy who pranks his girlfriend by telling her that he cheated on her. Her reaction is "Really? Me too!".

Maybe offer them a gift or something (maybe just take them out) and then in the course of it casually say that you can afford it because you got a scholarship.

Congratulations and thanks for sharing the good news.

Last edited by rolf (May 30 2019)

#9 May 30 2019

Johnaudi

rolf wrote:

Like the guy who pranks his girlfriend by telling her that he cheated on her. Her reaction is "Really? Me too!".

How is knowing the truth considered bad news?

#10 May 30 2019

NuclearVision

Johnaudi wrote:
rolf wrote:

How is knowing the truth considered bad news?

By not expecting it

#11 May 30 2019

rolf

A "Bad news prank" is when you tell someone fake bad news.

#12 May 31 2019

Ezio

Thanks for the replies <3

Board footer