LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 6 2019

Tech Guru

Zataar w Zeit is Shockingly Disgusting!

I went today with my fiancé to have a chill out lunch , before the movie starts , at Zaatar w Zeit - ABC Verdun. My fiancé ordered "Vegan Boom" , and while she was eating she found shockingly this - most probably a cooked spider or cockroach.

CbczHGR.jpg

Close Up Shot:

pvCVLEa.jpg

#Zataar_W_Zeit is Shockingly #Disgusting!

The manager came & took this sample to send for the customer services. When he suspected that we will  start a legal action lawsuit , he apologized repeatedly for the inconvience by  offering us a free of charge lunch with coffe & sweet. 

After leaving in 10 minutes , I received a call from the customer services department mentioning to me that they will open a complete case on the ABC branch hygiene and why that happened.

Nevertheless , I will take that with grain of salt and I will #sue them. Case of bad hygiene ,  moral damage , and potential health risk.

Last edited by Tech Guru (April 7 2019)

#2 April 6 2019

duke-of-bytes

Re: Zataar w Zeit is Shockingly Disgusting!

These things happens..it happened once in a one michelin star restaurant i worked with ( a small fly flew in without anyone seeing and landed in the dough )
But if the manager apologized and offered a replacement or a free meal then it's a good sign

#3 April 6 2019

Johnaudi

This is outrageous! She specifically ordered a vegan meal and got meat? I would also be pissed if I ordered a veggie pizza and got one with pepperoni!

#4 April 6 2019

VincentKeyboard

cockroacheroni

#5 April 6 2019

beezer

Looks like a spider. Could happen.

Curious what can be accomplished legally in Lebanon with that kind of case.

#6 April 7 2019

mk555

Tech Guru wrote:

Nevetheless , I will take that with grain of salt and I will #sue them. Case of bad hygiene ,  moral damage , and potential health risk.

Please provide follow up if you do move forward with the lawsuit. I'm really curious on how these things get settled in Lebanon because I feel there is hardly any accountability for stuff like this.

#7 April 7 2019

Joe

If they apologized and offered the meal free of charge, I doubt they're legally liable. A mistake can happen in any kitchen. As long as they're acknowledging the error and making up for it, there's little reason to attack them

#8 April 7 2019

NuclearVision

Joe wrote:

If they apologized and offered the meal free of charge, I doubt they're legally liable. A mistake can happen in any kitchen. As long as they're acknowledging the error and making up for it, there's little reason to attack them

i have to disagree!

#9 April 7 2019

DNA

Joe is being reasonable even at your home at some point something like this will happen its not like he found something Hazardous or someone's used condom legally i doubt he have a case.

#10 April 7 2019

Tech Guru

The point here ;  when  a reputable chain like Zaatar w Zeit has branches across Lebanon claiming about its high  hygiene. The apparent  cooked insect in its food totally jeopardize its hygiene claims and honesty ,  which are  falseful.  A case should be opened to know whether it's "accidental" or there is a deeper root on the overall kitchen hygiene control ,  food preparation,  and incredients quality  - which are masked to the end customer and potential health risk to each individual going to them.

On 24 October 2016, the Food Safety Law in Lebanon was approved ,  and published by the Parliament as Law #:35.

http://consumerslebanon.org/FoodSafetyLaw

I discussed this with my lawyer ,  and based on this law I will prepare a complete case ,  with evidence, and raise it to the

Ministry of Economy & Tarde
Ministry of Health

#11 April 7 2019

Tech Guru

DNA wrote:

Joe is being reasonable even at your home at some point something like this will happen its not like he found something Hazardous or someone's used condom legally i doubt he have a case.

No place for doubtfulness in my dictionary or reluctancy to raise a case when it comes to health & customer issues. I work in the government & I know the black side of things.

#12 April 7 2019

Sasuke

too bad that a cooked insect is the only indication of a restaurant's cleanliness. Have you ever been to any fast food joint kitchen, or peaked a look by coincidence.

#13 April 7 2019

NuclearVision

Sasuke wrote:

too bad that a cooked insect is the only indication of a restaurant's cleanliness. Have you ever been to any fast food joint kitchen, or peaked a look by coincidence.

I can imagine ... given that an insect went unnoticed ...

#14 April 7 2019

Tech Guru

Sasuke wrote:

You can put " coincidences "  & " accidents" in every thing in life and cross over things without knowing the root cause. Submissive approach vs customers' food safety. Simply , I went with the second course of action.

#15 April 7 2019

DNA

well if you prove that there is a deeper root for this to have happened or their overall sanitation is bad then yea they will get in trouble, but if it is just for an insect that happened to be in your plate while their kitchen has decent hygiene practices then good luck with that case.
they might even make you prove that you aren't the one who put it in the first place if you went to court for this.

#16 April 7 2019

duke-of-bytes

Legally you have only a case if you had food poisoning or any life threatening condition
The most you can get is some hush money if you settle outside the court or nothing at all inside the court.

Source : lawyer cabinet of dekwaneh culinary school

#17 April 7 2019

Johnaudi

In case like these, the manager usually suggests you visit the kitchen to see how clean it is, at least that's what they offer in McDonald's, BK, etc...

I wouldn't question the kitchen but it may be from the main supplier, as these fried meals come in bags and all they do is open them and cook them, perhaps the spider was inside the bag all along. Was the spider fresh? Or did it taste slightly old?

Last edited by Johnaudi (April 7 2019)

#18 April 7 2019

AVOlio

Like some people mentioned, I think some kind of injury must occur like food poisoning or a life threatening situation, in order for it to be a case.
Then you can sue the restaurant for negligence in their food preparation (bad hygiene, food preparation, ingredient inspection etc...).
You cannot  prove the restaurant' negligence since you do not have access to the information going on in the background of their kitchen and other facilities, so you can use the doctrine of Res Ipsa Loquitur and that puts the burden of proof on the defendent, and they have to prove that the incident or injury was not from negligent acts.  (at least this is how they do it in the US, I don't know about here).

Plus, an injury did not occur in your case, so I'm not even sure you can take this route.

#19 April 7 2019

Salloum

All places are nasty. Don’t fool yourself thinking if you’re eating at Em Sherif or the likes that its going to be like eating at home. Zaatar w Zeit is of course no exception.

#20 April 7 2019

Tech Guru

I will take it to make some " alert " for them. 1 / 100 being not submissive is healthy for this country. Regardless of the outcome , I will take the full legal route.

#21 April 7 2019

duke-of-bytes

Good luck , i am behind you ...it is time for businesses to know that the consumers are not sheep.
Let me know if you need any legal advice

#22 April 7 2019

AymanS

wow soo disgusting !!!

#23 April 7 2019

beezer

I don't know man, it seems a bit overboard. It happens, even in the cleanest places, it happens. Are they HAACP approved? If so, that's all they need to say. If it is bagged goods then their source is the problem and not them. Inonce got a hair in my mozarella burger at Roadster (for some odd reason I decided to cut my burger in half that day and there was the hair, right in the middle). I showed it to them, they apologized, gave me a replacement and comped me the meal. I didn't go crazy because I knew that they didn't make the mozarella Patty in house. I'm sure they told their supplier of the problem and I made it clear that I knew the situation.

If you found a needle from a hjab (something I'm always scared of, lol) or got hepatitis from bad food handling then I get it. But this honestly looks like you're judging years and all their franchises and history for this one instance. It happens.

A needle in a Pepsi can, an earring in a pie, these are negligent behavior and process, but this...how could they have stopped it? I'm sure their kitchen has several insect traps and their food is stored and only taken out for preparation. See if they have HAACP and go from there.

If you want to run a law suit, you should do so with the water bottling plants here. This gallons have a usage cycle of around 30 times, but I still see some from before 2017 being used.

#24 April 7 2019

xazbrat

There is a reason why I don't eat out much in this country.  Anyhow, a couple of questions:  did you take the picture with your new S10, and if so, what did the A.I. identify the critter?

#25 April 7 2019

Sasuke

NuclearVision wrote:
Sasuke wrote:

I can imagine ... given that an insect went unnoticed ...

exactly, my point was that most fast food joints and restaurants are not as clean and hygienic as we perceive them to be. As Guru said in this case with zwz it's worse because they pride themselves with cleanliness and what not, who wants there 4,5 thou man2oushe served in a spider/roach infested kitchen, unless that's what they meant with wild zaatar all along.

Board footer