LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 11 2018

sero

Lab for testing water

Hello

I want to test our "bir" water to find how dirty/clean it is. Do you know of any lab (preferably in Beirut) that can do this test and that won't charge a lot?

I saw an old post on lebgeeks that AUB can do such test, but I don't want such complicated detailed test that shows chemical levels, I just want to know if the water is clean enough for daily use (shower/washing vegetables/brushing teeth...)

#2 December 12 2018

Codename47

Re: Lab for testing water

Hi,
Yes of course has the lab for that and they do the test just mention why you want to do it.
The word daily use is vague. Test could include solids in the water, type and the amount of bacteria.

It is better to ask beforehand, since the sampling procedure will depend ultimately on the type of test you want to do.
The type of test depends on the what you want to do with the water. (Daily use is not enough, be more specific)

#3 December 15 2018

beezer

You should get a chemical analysis to see how hard the water is, especially for showering. Could dry your skin.
Get a bacteria test to see if there are any organisms that could harm you when you wash hands/teeth/vegetables.

How deep is your well and what is surrounding it?

#4 December 17 2018

sero

Can you please recommend any labs for the bacteria test?

I am not 100% sure, its 18m deep and its close to the feces space. I am not sure how it works, is the feces usually dumped in the building's area or does it pass to the ocean through pipes?
There are several other buildings next to ours that use the sale well.

Last edited by sero (December 17 2018)

#5 December 17 2018

xazbrat

sero wrote:

Can you please recommend any labs for the bacteria test?

I am not 100% sure, its 18m deep and its close to the feces space. I am not sure how it works, is the feces usually dumped in the building's area or does it pass to the ocean through pipes?
There are several other buildings next to ours that use the sale well.

This is an old price list for the services at AUB--there is some contact information on there.  See if you can get a hold  to someone, talk about your concerns and see if they can give you a quote for their services.

https://www.aub.edu.lb/msfea/Documents/ … 02012).pdf

If you do have a well, you should really have 3 stages of filtration (unless you are way up in the Shouf or Barouk or other isolated areas):  a filter for particulates, activated charcoal and the third being antibacterial (usually some form of silver something).  There are some filters which combine all three (or 4), but tend to be pretty expensive and harder to find    With the problems of garbage and pollution in this country, it is inevitable that some if makes its way into the groundwater so you should take safeguards nonetheless.

Board footer