LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 15 2018

Scode99

US Embassy Interview

Does anyone have a friend/relative (or themselves) that has been to an interview at the US embassy?
What types of questions are asked?
Are they rude?

#2 November 15 2018

new_user

Re: US Embassy Interview

According to my knowledge all the questions they ask are things that you have already filled in the application form. So they already know all the answers. Just make sure your answers are consistent with what you have filled in the form.
They are not rude but I have heard that it is easier/ better to take the interview in English not in Arabic.

#3 November 15 2018

Scode99

new_user wrote:

According to my knowledge all the questions they ask are things that you have already filled in the application form. So they already know all the answers. Just make sure your answers are consistent with what you have filled in the form.
They are not rude but I have heard that it is easier/ better to take the interview in English not in Arabic..

Easier/Better in which way? To understand you mean or easier questions?

#4 November 15 2018

new_user

Easier questions. This is based on one account I heard. I'm not sure if it can be generalized. But if you can speak English acceptably then I think it would be a plus to do the interview in English.

#5 November 15 2018

xazbrat

They do want to see if you can speak english--if you can't speak or otherwise communicate in english, then your application will bear more scrutiny.   When I did my interview, I ended up talking sports with my interviewer and didn't have any issues with the visa.  There was a kid ahead of me that was trying to get a visa for education, but he couldn't speak much if any english.  I heard later that he didn't get his visa.

They will ask you questions on what you are going to do there, when you are planning on coming back and other things--almost verbatim from the application.  If you act squirrely or untruthfully, they could reject you on the spot.  Also, if this interview is for immigration or education, you better speak in english.  Also,  if they have reasons  you aren't coming back, then the visa won't be granted.

Good luck with the process--it really isn't much to really worry about though.

#6 November 16 2018

Scode99

xazbrat wrote:

They do want to see if you can speak english--if you can't speak or otherwise communicate in english, then your application will bear more scrutiny.   When I did my interview, I ended up talking sports with my interviewer and didn't have any issues with the visa.  There was a kid ahead of me that was trying to get a visa for education, but he couldn't speak much if any english.  I heard later that he didn't get his visa.

They will ask you questions on what you are going to do there, when you are planning on coming back and other things--almost verbatim from the application.  If you act squirrely or untruthfully, they could reject you on the spot.  Also, if this interview is for immigration or education, you better speak in english.  Also,  if they have reasons  you aren't coming back, then the visa won't be granted.

Good luck with the process--it really isn't much to really worry about though.

Hey man thanks for the info.
I need my visa for tourism with my family. My english is fluent. But i will be at the interview with my parents my mother speaks english but my father doesn’t. So thats my main problem. We dont have any reason to stay at the states (not relatives whatsoever).
We are planning to travel at summer 2019. Lets hope for the best.

Last edited by Scode99 (November 16 2018)

#7 November 21 2018

beezer

Go for the English. They'll basically just chit chat with you and get a feel about you. Very laid back, just treat it as you're talking to a person waiting in line at the bank or something.

Board footer