LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#201 March 12 2021

bobo619

Re: New Phone Jomrok / Customs duty in Lebanon

ironman wrote:

Hello Guys,

I bought an iPhone 11 Pro in November 2019 which didn't have its custom dues paid. As soon as I inserted the SIM, I immediately received an SMS saying that I have 90 days to pay....

I didn't pay and nothing happened.

A week ago I received a new SMS. I called Libanpost and they said that if I don't pay within 90 days the phone will stop working.
the fees are around 280,000 LBP

Did this happen with any of you?

All my imported phones are stuck at 31 days remaining

#202 April 11 2021

infiniteloop

Anyone knows if the CTC warranty of a Samsung phone is void if you root it?

#203 April 11 2021

yasamoka

infiniteloop wrote:

You want to root your S21 Ultra?

#204 April 11 2021

infiniteloop

yasamoka wrote:
infiniteloop wrote:

Not now, I am not in a hurry

#205 April 11 2021

yasamoka

infiniteloop wrote:
yasamoka wrote:
infiniteloop wrote:

Watch out for what you lose these days in terms of DRM (Widevine) when you unlock the bootloader or root. Sometimes, no amount of hiding the actions seems to work. Loss of DRM means that you might not be able to stream high definition video from streaming services such as Netflix again.

#206 April 11 2021

VipModz

infiniteloop wrote:
yasamoka wrote:
infiniteloop wrote:

if your S21 ultra processor is Snapdragon 888 you can't root but if it is Exynos 2100 you can

#207 April 12 2021

infiniteloop

Exynos
But I am asking about CTC warranty rules about rooted phones. In European countries for exemple Samsung is obliged to accept the warranty even if rooted

#208 April 12 2021

VipModz

infiniteloop wrote:

Exynos
But I am asking about CTC warranty rules about rooted phones. In European countries for exemple Samsung is obliged to accept the warranty even if rooted

As far as I know when you root a samsung phone it will no longer be secured by Knox, so the official warranty (CTC) will void but you can always use Odin to unroot

#209 April 13 2021

Salloum

infiniteloop wrote:

Exynos

Can confirm they will turn any claim away if your device is/has ever been rooted.

#210 April 19 2021

wollyka

infiniteloop wrote:

Exynos

They won't accept if it is rooted.

Btw, from where did you get your S21? and did you get the jomrok SMS? I got one last week from TALACO and I received the sms. I contacted them and this was their reply: Technical delay from the ministry of telecom is the reason behind the message sent to most of the newly released devices. Do not worry about it, we are Samsung’s authorized partners, and we legally import all our devices.

I don't know if it is true!

#211 January 27 2022

Tech Guru

New Custom Dollar Cabinet Approval:

Calculating the customs dollar on the exchange rate of 20,000 LBP , means that a  car, which is currently worth 15,000 dollars, will become between 30 and 35 thousand dollars, as the value of the customs dollar currently constitutes about 15 thousand dollars of its value, according to the exchange rate of 1500 pounds, i.e. About 1000 USD.

The same applies to electronic devices and others, as the price of the refrigerator, which currently stands at $1,000, will be between $1,500 and $1,800, according to the source of its import. Goods imported from Europe, for example, or from Arab countries, are not subject to customs duties, but to value added tax only., but if it is imported from China and Korea, it is subject to customs duties.

Consequently, goods imported from countries exempt from customs duties are not affected by a significant increase in prices, but rather an increase in the value-added tax, which will be calculated on the exchange rate of 20,000 LBP to the dollar instead of 1500 LBP currently.

#212 January 27 2022

infiniteloop

Bro this is an excuse to increase everything as usual, tomorrow all computer and mobile phone shops will increase their prices, they did the same last time they increased taxes that were not supposed to touch electronics

#213 February 6 2022

NuclearVision

guys, i bought a used cellular ipad mini 5th gen from the bay.
its gonna be here soon
Do i need to pay to unlock it? whats the procedure?

#214 February 7 2022

infiniteloop

If it has a sim card I think you have to pay, or else how our beloved politicians can buy cars and villas?

#215 February 12 2022

NuclearVision

i heard that they are not sendong the required messages, could be postponing them until new rate fees ?

#216 February 13 2022

Salloum

Go pay your customs ASAP even if your phone is still working, before the new rates kick in. They will start enforcing it again for sure.

#217 February 13 2022

infiniteloop

I hope Lebanese people willmove their asses and go down the streets to overthrow these damned politicians instead of accepting to be stolen "again"

#218 February 14 2022

NuclearVision

Salloum wrote:

Go pay your customs ASAP even if your phone is still working, before the new rates kick in. They will start enforcing it again for sure.

the problem is that the customs cant be paid unless your IMEI is on the system, something which is taking months

#219 March 5 2022

M03

In case this helps anyone,

If you are already using your device for the past year and haven't paid the customs fees yet, this is for you:
Earlier, I received an SMS message from MoT notifying me that I have 30 days to register my phone and pay its Customs fees or else it will be deactivated from the Cell Network.

Yesterday, I paid customs fees for an iPhone 12 Pro Max and it costed 330,000LBP in total. It's required to pay at LibanPost.

You need your ID/Passport and the device you want to pay fees for.
Pictures of IMEI will not work, they need the device itself (for obvious security reasons)
It only took me 10mins in total while at LibanPost.

Pro-Tip: If you have an iPad with cellular feature, I "do not recommend" paying customs fees or registering it unless you own a dual simcard (two simcards with the same phone number), I wasn't aware that iPads with cellular can only route calls into from another iPhone over "Wi-Fi".. I thought I could makes calls from the iPad.. so if you have a similar case or even wondering whether you want to buy an iPad with cellular or not, make sure to read the cellular limitations first. In my case, I didn't find a reason to register the device

Last edited by M03 (March 5 2022)

#220 March 6 2022

Ayman

I bought a 4G router and brought it with me in December 2020 and used it on a used SIM card for less than 15 days back then. So didn't pay as it was less than 90 days (I'm presuming they do this mainly for toursists to have enough time?). Its prepaid SIM died as I didn't end up charging it. I recently (2022) came to Lebanon and though I'd try it again on another used SIM, I had the impression that the device would be blocked by now, surprisingly it ended up working again but they sent me a SMS immediately saying I have 89 days to pay the fees.

The question is, since I'm going to use it for only 7 days this time or less does that mean I should be going to pay the fees? I don't get it. The SIM card i'm using this time is for a relative, I just don't want them to have fees built up on them becuse of me through their SIM. Not sure if they even do the link though.

#221 March 10 2022

Salloum

Ayman, they give you 90 days per year of usage, this is for people who do not live in Lebanon but only vacation here. The fees are not linked to any SIM or anything but your device. Once you reach the 90 days they theoretically will block your device IMEI from accessing the network, until the year elapses and you get allotted your next 90 days of usage.

#222 March 15 2022

NuclearVision

Guys has anyone successfully registered a device that cannot receive sms?
I have a 4g ipad and it doesnt receive sms so i cant tell how many days i have left.
I called libanpost and they insist they want 2 imeis to check if my device is in the system.
But alas, my ipad has just one so they refuse to help from there.
So now, i cant pay fees, i cant receive sms to actually know if im in the system
Our government once again, doesnt fail to amaze me.

#223 March 15 2022

new_user

Try placing the sim in a phone. If it hasn't been a long time since you were supposed to receive the message, maybe the message center retries till success (Not sure, just a guess). Its strange that they need two IMEIs. If I am not mistaken only dual sim devices have 2 IMEIs.

Last edited by new_user (March 15 2022)

#224 March 15 2022

M03

new_user wrote:

If I am not mistaken only dual sim devices have 2 IMEIs.

most modern devices with a single sim slot have 2 IMEIs (one that is built into the device on the device board) and the other one is for the user to use (insert/eject).

the one built into the device is a modern technology used to market the usage of eSIMs instead of the regular simcards we know.
eSIM is a virtual card, your phone doesn't need to have a SIM card in order for this to work.

eSIM technology is not only limited to mobile devices but also Laptops and Smart Watches.

IMEI fingerprints are used to identify devices on a telecom level, the provider needs to categorize the usage of the communication (transmission of data) being made from and into your device, whether it is sent over eSIM (the one built internally) or using the regular SIM card.

Mostly, IMEIs are registered in order to keep track of people's identities and to prevent terrorism or any illegal act.

#225 March 16 2022

infiniteloop

Looks like this customs law won't pass before the elections, so we have a window of 2 months

Board footer