LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#151 March 20 2020

Xsever

Re: New Phone Jomrok / Customs duty in Lebanon

The Ministry of Telecom just announced that they are stopping the collection on customs taxes on imported phones for personal use until further notice.

#152 March 20 2020

AVOlio

Xsever wrote:

The Ministry of Telecom just announced that they are stopping the collection on customs taxes on imported phones for personal use until further notice.

Source?

#153 March 20 2020

ivy

Xsever wrote:

Where was that stated and why

#154 March 20 2020

jaqen h'ghar

#155 March 23 2020

NuclearVision

yea but how I'm gonna buy a phone online if the internarional limit is 15$?
He's trying to score points.

#156 March 23 2020

m0ei

so if I buy a phone from abroad right now, I won't pay any VAT or customs?

What if it was shipped via DHL? will they take any "to5liss jomroke"? any hidden fees expected?

Last edited by m0ei (March 23 2020)

#157 March 23 2020

ivy

That's just TEMPORARY, I wouldn't advise anyone to buy anything yet

#158 March 23 2020

bobo619

The best thing you could do is replying on twitter for the Minister of Telecom to take down this stupid law maybe if he gets overwhelming for him he reacts

#159 March 25 2020

Abou_Karim

Xsever wrote:

This has just been reversed now unfortunately. Minister Talal Hawwat is now giving us 7 days to pay customs and TVA before deactivation. I wonder if this payment can be done from home though?

#160 March 25 2020

Abou_Karim

وزير الاتصالات يعود عن قراره: "سيتم دفع الرسوم"
المصدر: "النهار" 24 آذار 2020 |

#161 March 26 2020

ivy

Question to those that have shipped phone from abroad. I'm currently considering to ship a phone using shipped.io and the total quoted price is attractive and includes customs + VAT, the question is, will i have to pay this tax once more when I insert my sim card?

#162 April 16 2020

infiniteloop

Xiaomi phones like the Mi 9T Pro (K20 pro) are in the libanpost list?
what about Oneplus 7 Pro and 7T Pro?
I saw that some people could bypass paying the registration at the airport by asking aliexpress seller to put anything but mobile phone on the product sheet

#163 April 17 2020

infiniteloop

And what if you order a smartphone by DHL and arrive at the airport, you are still obliged to go there and pay or you can pay later by libanpost?

#164 April 18 2020

infiniteloop

If your phone is not on the list of customs, will hey still count 16%? or just 11% of VAT? And based on which value as the let's say Op 7T is not sold in Lebanon?

#165 April 20 2020

infiniteloop

I asked dhl about smartphones and customs.... They are still stopping each and every smartphone waiting for the ministry of telecommunications to clear it. What the utter bs system they install just to please big friends of the ministry aka the 2 big bosses of woukala

#166 May 5 2020

Victor

Hello, does anyone know what the range for the jomrok charge is for a 450$ phone (the new iphone SE)?

#167 May 5 2020

ivy

Victor wrote:

Hello, does anyone know what the range for the jomrok charge is for a 450$ phone (the new iphone SE)?

Around $100, but that's in Lebanese so, 150,000

#168 May 5 2020

aiajouz

Hi guys..i have ordered a mi 9t in February from banggood....i haven't received it and the tracking seems to be stuck i  germany or Switzerland...could it be in lebanon...or is shipping stopped currently...thanks

#169 May 5 2020

vengeance666

aiajouz wrote:

Hi guys..i have ordered a mi 9t in February from banggood....i haven't received it and the tracking seems to be stuck i  germany or Switzerland...could it be in lebanon...or is shipping stopped currently...thanks

I guess it's stuck because of corona pandemic, europe is screwed up

#170 May 25 2020

Salloum

Any updates on this law? Is it still enforced?

#171 May 25 2020

m0ei

Salloum wrote:

Yes, I bought a Note 10 plus from Amazon. I had to go to the MoT and activate the IMEI before taking the phone from the customs.

I bought the phone for $770, they priced it it for 1,100,000 LL. I paid them 11% vat + 5% customs + 3% interest (no idea what that is), total of ~200,000 LL.

Last edited by m0ei (May 25 2020)

#172 May 25 2020

Kareem

m0ei wrote:
Salloum wrote:

Yes, I bought a Note 10 plus from Amazon. I had to go to the MoT and activate the IMEI before taking the phone from the customs.

I bought the phone for $770, they priced it it for 1,100,000 LL. I paid them 11% vat + 5% customs + 3% interest (no idea what that is), total of ~200,000 LL.

That's strange. I bought my Note10+ 6 months ago from Amazon USA and I didn't pay any custom.

#173 May 25 2020

m0ei

Shipped through Aramex Shop and Ship.

You pay the customs once to activate the phone.

#174 May 27 2020

bermudapineapple

Kareem wrote:
m0ei wrote:
Salloum wrote:

That's strange. I bought my Note10+ 6 months ago from Amazon USA and I didn't pay any custom.

I think it's because they shipped with S&S. They force you to activate before you can even pick it up. I had a relative bring me a US S10+, and I got the message upon inserting my SIM. That was a month ago, and so far so good. I'm gonna let the 3 months expire and see what happens.

#175 June 8 2020

Kazouza

Xsever wrote:

Is it still on hold?

Board footer