LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 27 2018

themike10452

Ordering smartphones from abroad

Has anyone ordered a smartphone from abroad (China or whatever) recently? I'm looking to order a OnePlus 6 from China and I have concerns regarding the new customs thingy and whether the phone will make it to my doorstep or not. Please share your experience, and any advice is appreciated.

#2 September 28 2018

LifeEngineer

Re: Ordering smartphones from abroad

I'm in the same boat. I've had a very bad experience in my last order.
Now I'm itching for a Xiaomi Mi Max 3 but I don't want to go through that again so I'm still refraining from doing it...

Last edited by LifeEngineer (September 28 2018)

#3 September 28 2018

xazbrat

If you can do it, have someone from the gulf or abroad order it and bring it in for you---it would save yourself a big hassle.

#4 September 28 2018

hkbazzi

LifeEngineer wrote:

I'm in the same boat. I've had a very bad experience in my last order.
Now I'm itching for a Xiaomi Mi Max 3 but I don't want to go through that again so I'm still refraining from doing it...

What happened?
Where did you order it from?

#5 September 28 2018

LifeEngineer

hkbazzi wrote:

What happened?

https://lebgeeks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=14744&p=49

#6 September 28 2018

themike10452

LifeEngineer wrote:
hkbazzi wrote:

What happened?

I will ship a OnePlus 6 from GearBest for 460 USD, the original receipt will be on the package, so I expect LibanPost to handle the customs fees and I'll pay them on delivery, at least I hope so. I called them today and they told me that they will start handling Smartphone customs clearance starting October 1st.

#7 September 28 2018

xazbrat

themike10452 wrote:
LifeEngineer wrote:
hkbazzi wrote:

What happened?

I will ship a OnePlus 6 from GearBest for 460 USD, the original receipt will be on the package, so I expect LibanPost to handle the customs fees and I'll pay them on delivery, at least I hope so. I called them today and they told me that they will start handling Smartphone customs clearance starting October 1st.

If true, that won't be bad.  It would save on the headaches of going to the airport and the MoT twice.  Customs will be customs though.  Keep us updated on your progress.

#8 September 28 2018

themike10452

xazbrat wrote:
themike10452 wrote:

If true, that won't be bad.  It would save on the headaches of going to the airport and the MoT twice.  Customs will be customs though.  Keep us updated on your progress.

I just placed the order. I paid 13$ for insurance (they offer a free replacement if the product is dead on arrival), and 5$ for shipping through Middle East Express (takes from 3 to 7 working days), there was an option to ship with DHL for 20$, which is a better option because DHL does customs clearance for sure, I always ship with DHL from Amazon, but for some reason I did not want to pay 20$ for shipping hehe.

Will keep you updated.

#9 September 28 2018

wollyka

themike10452 wrote:
xazbrat wrote:
themike10452 wrote:

I just placed the order. I paid 13$ for insurance (they offer a free replacement if the product is dead on arrival), and 5$ for shipping through Middle East Express (takes from 3 to 7 working days), there was an option to ship with DHL for 20$, which is a better option because DHL does customs clearance for sure, I always ship with DHL from Amazon, but for some reason I did not want to pay 20$ for shipping hehe.

Will keep you updated.

Middle East Express is Aramex. Keep us posted

#10 October 1 2018

Hybrid

I wanna order a phone from abroad too, please let us know if liban post does handle everything.

#11 October 1 2018

LifeEngineer

Yeah me too! I don't have a problem with the additional cost/charges/taxes. I have a problem with all that humiliating USELESS process they make me go through.

Last edited by LifeEngineer (October 1 2018)

#12 October 1 2018

mmk92

I ordered a phone though AliExpress that made it to Lebanon but not to customs yet. Will keep you guys posted.

#13 October 1 2018

hkbazzi

This should be a sticky thread with all the ridiculous prices the mass market phones are charging, most of us are going to rather get the phones from abroad for the likes of a xiaomi oneplus etc...

#14 October 2 2018

themike10452

wollyka wrote:
themike10452 wrote:
xazbrat wrote:

Will keep you updated.

Middle East Express is Aramex. Keep us posted

Indeed! I had my doubts at first but you were right, Middle East Express is Aramex.

My package just shipped out from HK, and the tracking number is valid for Aramex. So the shipment should not even go through LibanPost, hopefully Aramex will deliver it to my doorstep.

Aramex Tracking

Last edited by themike10452 (October 2 2018)

#15 October 2 2018

hkbazzi

Phoneshipment

Also got my shipment on the way, will update you guys what happens

Last edited by hkbazzi (October 2 2018)

#16 October 3 2018

themike10452

hkbazzi wrote:

https://i.imgur.com/of3J8pu.jpg

Awesome, what phone are you getting? And is it from GearBest as well?

#17 October 3 2018

mmk92

So the tracking on my phone's shipment simultaneously updated with a "Held by customs" and "Started customs clearing process"

I've had this before with many other items that eventually cleared up just fine.
I'm giving it a week from now, if it doesn't clear I will contact LibanPost if they don't contact me.

I ordered a Xiaomi phone

#18 October 3 2018

hkbazzi

themike10452 wrote:
hkbazzi wrote:

Xiaomi Mi 8 from Gearbest yeah

what about you?

My shipment took too long, it just departed from dubai to lebanon at 2:35am, I ordered the phone on September 25th

Last edited by hkbazzi (October 3 2018)

#19 October 4 2018

NuclearVision

please explain to me: if libanpost clears the customs for your phone, that doesn't mean you don't need to register it in MoT right? also, eill libanpost collect the charges on delivery?

#20 October 4 2018

Hybrid

NuclearVision wrote:

please explain to me: if libanpost clears the customs for your phone, that doesn't mean you don't need to register it in MoT right? also, eill libanpost collect the charges on delivery?

They used to collect the charges before

#21 October 4 2018

LifeEngineer

I called Libanpost yesterday asking about this matter specifically and the girl who responded told me that "We as Libanpost are only responsible for the delivery of items and if an item needs to be stopped at Customs (meaning if it didn't make the customs clearance like a smartphone would do) we don't interfere and we don't perform any action".

From that I concluded that probably nothing has changed.

#22 October 4 2018

Salloum

A bit unrelated, but if anyone has paid customs for a phone bought from abroad after it already entered the country, I'd love to hear your experience (mainly how easy it was and how much you paid and on what basis you paid that much). Thanks!

#23 October 5 2018

LifeEngineer

Salloum wrote:

A bit unrelated, but if anyone has paid customs for a phone bought from abroad after it already entered the country, I'd love to hear your experience (mainly how easy it was and how much you paid and on what basis you paid that much). Thanks!

More info in here:

#24 October 5 2018

themike10452

hkbazzi wrote:
themike10452 wrote:
hkbazzi wrote:

Xiaomi Mi 8 from Gearbest yeah

what about you?

My shipment took too long, it just departed from dubai to lebanon at 2:35am, I ordered the phone on September 25th

It's a OnePlus 6 from GearBest.

I placed my order on Sept 29 but it was the weekend, so my order was not processed until later.

screenshot

#25 October 5 2018

themike10452

LifeEngineer wrote:

I called Libanpost yesterday asking about this matter specifically and the girl who responded told me that "We as Libanpost are only responsible for the delivery of items and if an item needs to be stopped at Customs (meaning if it didn't make the customs clearance like a smartphone would do) we don't interfere and we don't perform any action".

From that I concluded that probably nothing has changed.

I called them last week and they told me LibanPost does cooperate with MoT, and will start handling smartphone customs on October 1st. She said I can call back in October to have more info, but since my shipment is handled by Aramex I won't be calling back.

Last edited by themike10452 (October 5 2018)

Board footer