LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 16 2018

Ezio

Psychology premed or data science

Hello everyone,
This ia my first post. Without further introduction, I'm a junior at AUB(gpa 83).I entered last year as a nursing student but found it soo simple so I dropped out in fall, in spring I decided to transfer to psychology as premed.
The Lebanese university opened a new major this year called data science, I admitted and got accepted (classes will begin next month).

I'm currently so confused between these 2 options and considering a third one. I'm weighing the pros and cons but can't get enough insight.

As for psychology premed:
Pros:
- I love helping people.
- consultants advised me to pursue med( i doubt they Know about data science)
- My parents want me to become a doctor because I'm smart and the only child.Simply they want me to do something BIG!
- I have a solid scholarship at AUB and I can study med without taking student laons(selling some properties..)
Cons:
-It cost a lot, around 150k with 1200$ starting salary
-I talked to many residents and doctors and most of them didn't suggest med(business oriented and stressful)
- I takes a lot of time and commitment and will hold back some aspects of my life.
- I'm not a competitive person and hate studying so I don't think I will do well in med school.

As for data science :
Pros:
One of the fastest growing professions with excellent salaries
Suits my personality(ISTP) well, also I love statistics and computers.
It costs like nothing at UL
The major is sponsored by SAS( a leading company in data science)
I can establish my life and pursue my goals faster.
Cons :
I dont know if i can continue studying abroad with UL degree. Especially that only 8% of data scientist has a bachelor only.
I will not benefit from the courses I took at AUB and will give away the scholarship
Uncertain if there is good employment rate for it in lebanon
Uncertain if the degree is recognized in countries like us or Germany (in case I wanted to travel)
Too good to be true

Third option is giong cs at AUB.
I'm currently in a cycle of analysis paralysis so any clarification or insight is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Ezio (September 16 2018)

#2 September 16 2018

rolf

Re: Psychology premed or data science

I know how it is. I am glad to have passed this stage even if I took bad decisions.
Agonizing over a decision is the worse.
I don't think I can give you an answer. I cant predict the future.
It depends on what you want.
You seem to feel a lot of pressure. Try to relax, ease the pressure, it's not the end of the world, and try to trust yourself. You can do it.
Good luck!

#3 September 17 2018

Ezio

Thanks for the response,
The thing is that I have changed my thought on medicine like 5-10 times. Each time I feel certain about medicine, I discover some shitty aspects in med and then change my mind. Gionng into med as a decision is so tough because you can't turn back if your expectations are blown. It requires full commitment and a lot of time and sacrifice.

Last edited by Ezio (September 17 2018)

#4 September 17 2018

Toufic

- Don't over do life, it's short, worth living and not meant to be spent stressing everyday
- Money isn't everything, but it's a mean to do things in life
- Do what makes you happy: meaning you're going to wake up everyday to do something, better be it something you love and that you're good at (let me correct that: something you can excel at and stand out from the rest)
- Either way you need to sacrifice but pick wisely what it is you will be sacrificing
- Whatever you're doing, going abroad later for your masters is much more valuable than staying in Lebanon. (i wish i had saved up the money spent on my master and invested it outside)

Good luck dude

#5 September 17 2018

Jerome

If it helps, I'm doing a masters in data science at USJ coming from an electrical engineering background (with some CCE courses). We're learning some statistics, some AI, and ways to model and handle data (https://fi.usj.edu.lb/pdf/esib/MasterDS.pdf).

My sister is doing med (8th? year), and yeah you are choosing a whole different lifestyle, its hard. Statistics is important for everything medical research, the students are stuck with SPSS or hiring someone to do the math for them.

CS or CCE at AUB will open up so many doors for you for work here, and in the US. Companies there usually require you do a year of study there first.
UL is recognized in Germany (check out https://anabin.kmk.org/anabin.html), the degree I don't know.

What I think, you need to ask yourself a bigger question. Please, read this amazing article, take your time https://waitbutwhy.com/2018/04/picking-career.html.

Personally, I try to achieve a combination of "things I really cared about growing up" + "things I find really interesting!". So its changing the world with science!

Last edited by Jerome (September 17 2018)

#6 September 18 2018

rolf

I just want to say, I think you're doing great to weight all the option. These are really nice options and wish that you will succeed in any of them.

Just one idea, maybe you can enlist a psychologist to help you reach a decision, and incidentally you can use the opportunity to discuss and learn more about a potential career in psychology.

Good luck again!

Oh and about degrees being recognized, it would be an issue if you want to pursue education abroad. You can probably find the information online. Maybe on this site for Germany: https://www.daad.de/en/

For work it is not such an issue, most employers just look and see that you have a degree.

Of course if you're in a medical profession, you need a license, and that's something else.

And one more thing, about "establishing your life and fast", in my experience, it didn't work well, It just got me to a place I didn't want to be, with little motivation left. Shortcuts hardly work, you don't want to be taking shortcuts in your life, you're worth more then that. Also chasing the money doesn't work that well in my opinion.

The reason being that you would end up doing things that do not interest or motivate you that much, and "chasing the money" or even "getting established" are vague and elusive goals. I believe it brings better success to have a clear and concrete goal.

Last edited by rolf (September 18 2018)

#7 September 18 2018

Ezio

rolf wrote:

I just want to say, I think you're doing great to weight all the option. These are really nice options and wish that you will succeed in any of them.

Just one idea, maybe you can enlist a psychologist to help you reach a decision, and incidentally you can use the opportunity to discuss and learn more about a potential career in psychology.

Good luck again!

Oh and about degrees being recognized, it would be an issue if you want to pursue education abroad. You can probably find the information online. Maybe on this site for Germany:

For work it is not such an issue, most employers just look and see that you have a degree.

Of course if you're in a medical profession, you need a license, and that's something else.

And one more thing, about "establishing your life and fast", in my experience, it didn't work well, It just got me to a place I didn't want to be, with little motivation left. Shortcuts hardly work, you don't want to be taking shortcuts in your life, you're worth more then that. Also chasing the money doesn't work that well in my opinion.

The reason being that you would end up doing things that do not interest or motivate you that much, and "chasing the money" or even "getting established" are vague and elusive goals. I believe it brings better success to have a clear and concrete goal.

Thanks rolf,
..today I met a psychologist at the uni.
It gave me great insight and better understanding of the situation and myself in general. It's not about which major is better, it is about the mechanism of decision making that most people (including me) are not fully aware of.
Hope you the best of luck,

Last edited by Ezio (September 18 2018)

#8 September 19 2018

rolf

I believe many of us struggle with decisions, I know I do.

#9 September 21 2018

NuclearVision

If you're not willing to study many hours a day, many days a month, All months of the year, then don't go for medicine. I'm going through this, I am not complaining as i know it pays off later and i was(am) willing to dedicate time for it.
Hope you go for the best : )

Board footer