LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 30 2018

sero

New clothing business in Lebanon?

On side of my current work (as software developer) I am planning to rent a store somewhere in Beirut to sell clothes.
Clothes will be of various brands (from US, Turkey, China and others) and will not be fake.

I won't have any supplier, instead I will be getting the items through shipping in small quantities.

My questions are:
1- what is the process to rent a place and open such store. Do I need to register a company? how do I pay taxes?
2- I will not be present in the store most of the time, so I was thinking of employing someone to stay at the place instead. what is the employment process? do I need to register this person in daman? provide insurance? What should the average salary be?
3- is it legal to sell any brand as long as its not a fake item or shall I inform the brand owner first?

#2 August 30 2018

nuclearcat

Re: New clothing business in Lebanon?

You might face severe penalties, if your goods are not imported officially.
Sure it might slip between fingers, but i know some people who got heavy fines.
If customs officer will visit your store and ask import or purchase papers for goods you are selling or proof of purchase from local supplier, what you are going to show him? And dont think they are fools, they know many tricks used in this matters.

#3 August 30 2018

beezer

In Beirut your best bet is to do it properly because the customs guys want to take something to their pockets and your way will only keep their poor children hungry because government wages aren't enough. /S SMH

You'll need to register a trade store and to employ someone you'll need to insure them. If they're not local, you'll need to sponsor them.

You can sell whatever your business license lists. You don't need an OK from the manufacturer unless you're trying to be an official store.

#4 August 31 2018

sero

@Beezer can you elaborate more on "register a trade store" please? How exactly do I do that? and what are the fees? tax i need to pay?

@nuclearcat interesting points, I didn't know this. My second idea of the store is to buy dresses (also from turkey,US,China... in small quantities) and rent them (instead of selling them). Will this also cause me troubles? Should I have a receipt for every dress? what if the dress is for a friend of mine or a personal belonging? Am i not allowed to rent it?

#5 August 31 2018

nuclearcat

sero wrote:

@nuclearcat interesting points, I didn't know this. My second idea of the store is to buy dresses (also from turkey,US,China... in small quantities) and rent them (instead of selling them). Will this also cause me troubles? Should I have a receipt for every dress? what if the dress is for a friend of mine or a personal belonging? Am i not allowed to rent it?

Not sure again about Lebanon, and person i usually ask advice not available now, but as in other countries, they are usually allowed to ask you for purchase papers of products you have on your shelves/product list, be it rent, sale or even equipment, even if they are bought from local dealer or manufacturer, and not imported.
And if your friend is not operating as fully legit business, this will just forward troubles to him.
At the end chain should end somewhere, or on legitimate manufacturing business or on legitimate import, and they might follow it till end if they smell anything wrong.

Board footer