LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 21 2018

Tech Guru
Member

RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

Get Rid of my used Asus 1080ti Gaming OC  on Saturday @ 650USD before the announcement , and my case is waiting the new comer , the 2080ti. - Lost about 33 %of its initial purchase value , if I sell.it today with the announcement of Turing it will be much higher lose

Nvidia RTX along with other innovative technologies nail it deep in "Turing" - BF 5 demo using RTX is awesome , AMD will cry deep.

Correction: The prices for the Nvidia GeForce RTX 20-series cards have been updated per Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang’s Gamescom keynote — it appears that the prices listed on Nvidia’s website were not final. The RTX 2070 will cost $499, not $599; the RTX 2080 will cost $699, not $799; the RTX 2080 Ti will cost $999, not $1,199. On Website they listed the Founder Editions.

In a demo called "Infiltrator" at Gamescom, a single Turing-based GPU was able to render it in 4K with high quality graphics setting at a steady 60FPS. Huang noted that it actually runs at 78FPS, the demo was just limited by the stage display. On a GTX 1080 Ti, that same demo runs in the 30FPS range.

More Cuda Cores ~ 21 %
14 Gpbs GDDR6 @ 352 bit bus ~ 616Gb/s vs 484Gb /sec on 1080ti memory bamdwidth
Tensor Cores
Ray Tracing Calculations
~16Tflops vs 11.3 on the 1080ti
12nm FF vs 16nm

Yes there is a leap

When RTX is enabled since Pascal lacks the Tensor Cores and RT Cores it will be difficult to cope with global illuminations and thousands of rays that needs very fast yet complex calculations. The cuda cores alone cannot cope with that while doing rasterization. Rasterization can make " fake lighting / shadows " while Ray Tracing makes them real. Awesome demos shown on BF 5 , Shadow of the Tomb Raider , Metro Exodus when RTX is enabled. The same when enabled on a 1080ti for example you will see a rough drop in fps Since Cuda  cores alone will not able to do

Rasterization + Heavy Ray Tracing Calculations simultaneously.


Battlefield V: Official GeForce RTX Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpUm0N4Hsd8

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Exclusive 4K PC Tech Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay3gT_UhzFQ&t=4s

Metro Exodus - Exclusive Gamescom Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wUfSsIv34M&t=2s

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: Exclusive Ray Tracing Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k12cf15VvV4&t=3s

Metro Exodus: Official GeForce RTX Video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Yn09UHWYFY&t=3s



CKes6ib.jpg

Last edited by Tech Guru (August 21 2018)

Offline

#2 August 21 2018

Raficoo
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

$1200 for the 2080 Ti.... good lord

I watched the entire event and while the whole ray tracing seems impressive in some ways, not a single comparison was shown between the traditional rasterization performance of Turing vs Pascal cards, only that it's faster vs Pascal in ray tracing elements. I mean, for the mark up in prices, you'd think the least they could do is give us a hint on how much of an upgrade we'd be getting. One rumour was that they're releasing these cards (even the Ti) so to obtain a much higher market share before 7nm cards show up from AMD next year, and also Intel teased they'd be releasing their own GPU in 2020 so Nvidia aren't taking any chances, heck, they might even release 7nm cards themselves just next year to make extra sure AMD won't cut again into their market

But in the end, for most I'd say it's better to wait until benchmarks are out on September 20 to see if extra prices are really worth it. I'm also interested to see how NVLINK will work given SLI is pretty dead atm

Online

#3 August 21 2018

enthralled
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

Regardless of benchmarks, new architecture needs time to mature in my opinion. I'll get a 1080 if I have to upgrade (when price go further down), otherwise i'll wait for the second RTX generation, most games will be utilized for the RTX architecture by then.

Offline

#4 August 21 2018

Madi
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

I strongly recommend not to sell your Pascal flagship, not for the 2080 ti. Wait for the benchmarks, see if the new RTX 2080 ti actually delivers double the performance since it's double the price. 20% increase in the Cuda cores aren't quiet enough for performance boost. The major headline was RTX, only for the ray tracing technology. Turn that off and the 2080 ti (just a guess) will have at most 15% increase in fps than your current card.

Offline

#5 August 21 2018

DNA
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

Guys it is not about the fps alone the rtx series can do things gtx wont do, even if you have a 1080ti bf5 performance versus rtx wont matter a lot will be like 30% less, but if turn on Ray tracing ingame am sure the game would be not playable even on lower resolution on  a 1080ti this new series is about new technology and not about 10fps or 20fps increase over 1080ti rtx has new technology that a 1080ti cant do. lighting in 3d is everything people who do rendering knows exactly that without ray tracing the objects or scene looks stupid with no realism whatsoever

Offline

#6 August 21 2018

duke-of-bytes
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

would this card be good for ethereum mining ?

Offline

#7 August 21 2018

Tech Guru
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

duke-of-bytes wrote:

would this card be good for ethereum mining ?


Logical speaking yes

More Memory Bandwidth , the highest and the best number of cuda core. As the trend shows

1080ti has a good hashrate , the 2080ti will be better not worse sure epecially in the memory peak bandwidth which boost mining .

Last edited by Tech Guru (August 21 2018)

Offline

#8 August 21 2018

Tech Guru
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

Update:


"Unfortunately, due to multiple non-disclosure agreements we signed, we can only tell you that Shadow of the Tomb Raider looks stunning with ray tracing turned on. Thanks to Nvidia’s RTX technology, shadows do indeed look more realistic – with different intensities everywhere depicted in a stony ruin in the rainforest. We also just gawked at the walls, looking them shimmer as light reflected and refracted off of them.

In terms of frame rate, Shadow of the Tomb Raider ran at a mostly consistent 50-57 fps, which is impressive giving the game is running on a single GPU and in such an early state – on top of all the new ray tracing techniques.
We also played a variety of other PC games that shall not be named, and saw performance run in excess of 100 fps at 4K and Ultra settings. Unfortunately, we also don’t know how much power these GPUs had to draw to reach this level of performance.

We’ll also note that the gaming PCs at Nvidia’s event were arranged in the worst way possible, with almost all the machines exhausting heat directly toward the next one behind it. So, we’ll likely see even better performance once we get a card into our isolated test bench."

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/nvidi … tx-2080-ti

Offline

#9 August 21 2018

ThunderGladiator
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

This is it. The power of Artificial Intelligence and deep learning are showing signs and signs of super intelligence in image recognition, and optimization. This is scary. It is like 4 generations ahead

Offline

#10 August 21 2018

Aly
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

Tech Guru wrote:

Correction: The prices for the Nvidia GeForce RTX 20-series cards have been updated per Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang’s Gamescom keynote — it appears that the prices listed on Nvidia’s website were not final. The RTX 2070 will cost $499, not $599; the RTX 2080 will cost $699, not $799; the RTX 2080 Ti will cost $999, not $1,199. On Website they listed the Founder Editions.

But prices are still the same on the Nvidia website till now, I also read that the lower prices that you mentioned above are for the third party manufacturer (Asus, Gigabyte, Zotac etc ...) and not retail prices.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/20-series/

Offline

#11 August 21 2018

Tech Guru
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

Aly wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:

Correction: The prices for the Nvidia GeForce RTX 20-series cards have been updated per Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang’s Gamescom keynote — it appears that the prices listed on Nvidia’s website were not final. The RTX 2070 will cost $499, not $599; the RTX 2080 will cost $699, not $799; the RTX 2080 Ti will cost $999, not $1,199. On Website they listed the Founder Editions.

But prices are still the same on the Nvidia website till now, I also read that the lower prices that you mentioned above are for the third party manufacturer (Asus, Gigabyte, Zotac etc ...) and not retail prices.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/20-series/

FE prices mate not the regular ones on NV webpsite. Founder Edutions has 90mhz OC -  Nope fpr the 3rd part are more than FE , except a Strix 2080ti ~ 1250USD here.

Offline

#12 August 21 2018

Tech Guru
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

Tech Guru wrote:
Aly wrote:
Tech Guru wrote:

Correction: The prices for the Nvidia GeForce RTX 20-series cards have been updated per Nvidia CEO Jensen Huang’s Gamescom keynote — it appears that the prices listed on Nvidia’s website were not final. The RTX 2070 will cost $499, not $599; the RTX 2080 will cost $699, not $799; the RTX 2080 Ti will cost $999, not $1,199. On Website they listed the Founder Editions.

But prices are still the same on the Nvidia website till now, I also read that the lower prices that you mentioned above are for the third party manufacturer (Asus, Gigabyte, Zotac etc ...) and not retail prices.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/20-series/

FE prices mate not the regular ones on NV webpsite. Founder Editions has 90mhz OC -  Nope fpr the 3rd party PCBs are more than FE , except a Strix 2080ti ~ 1250USD here.

Last edited by Tech Guru (August 21 2018)

Offline

#13 August 21 2018

anayman_k7
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

It is early to decide to sell your current 10 series card, don't fall to the marketing gimmicks and wait for the real reviews, the price increase percentage is too damn high
https://youtu.be/NeCPvQcKr5Q

Offline

#14 August 22 2018

Tech Guru
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

ubUiwav.jpg

cmoWj7I.jpg

Offline

#15 August 22 2018

Tech Guru
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade


"Powered by Turing’s Tensor Cores, which perform lightning-fast deep neural network processing, GeForce RTX GPUs also support Deep Learning Super-Sampling (DLSS), a technology that applies deep learning and AI to rendering techniques, resulting in crisp, smooth edges on rendered objects in games."


This Specific Advancement in computer graphic rendering , to utilize Airtificial Intelligence & neural network is a big leap compared to static methods.

Sources:

NVIDIA RTX Features Detailed for BFV, Shadow of the Tomb Raider, Metro Exodus, Control, and More Games. -Wccftech

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-rtx-feature … led-games/


NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Performance Previewed – Delivers Well Over 100 FPS at 4K Resolution and Ultra Settings in AAA Games, Ray Tracing Performance Detailed - Wccftech

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx … k-100-fps/


Hands-on with the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti: Real-time Raytracing in Games. -Anandtech

https://www.anandtech.com/show/13261/ha … raytracing

Offline

#16 August 22 2018

anayman_k7
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

playing Tomb Raider at 30 fps with RTX Enabled isnt a thing people should be hyped for, 30 fps ffs

Offline

#17 August 22 2018

Tech Guru
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

anayman_k7 wrote:

playing Tomb Raider at 30 fps with RTX Enabled isnt a thing people should be hyped for, 30 fps ffs


Due to some unoptimized pre-release version of the game/driver. Let's also not forget it's the dev's that need to optimize for ray tracing.  I'd this is true, I remember the last time a tomb raider g was me released it was unplayable for sometime.  I also get a feeling it's a hit piece to gain clicks while they can get it.  Of it talked about several games I'd be a little worried, but 1 game that may or may not be true.  Not worried at all. A lot of people arent understanding that,  there taking this moment to sh... on something they know nothing about.

Real test benchmark will rule out , though Anandtech.com will rule out this info here and there , I will take with with a grain of salt.

Last edited by Tech Guru (August 22 2018)

Offline

#18 August 22 2018

Tech Guru
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

Tech Guru wrote:
anayman_k7 wrote:

playing Tomb Raider at 30 fps with RTX Enabled isnt a thing people should be hyped for, 30 fps ffs


Due to some unoptimized pre-release version of the game/driver. Let's also not forget it's the dev's that need to optimize for ray tracing.  I'd this is true, I remember the last time a tomb raider g was me released it was unplayable for sometime.  I also get a feeling it's a hit piece to gain clicks while they can get it.  Of it talked about several games I'd be a little worried, but 1 game that may or may not be true.  Not worried at all. A lot of people arent understanding that,  there taking this moment to sh... on something they know nothing about.

Real test benchmark will rule out , though Anandtech.com will rule out this info here and there , I will take  with a grain of salt.

Offline

#19 August 22 2018

Raficoo
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

So Nvidia finally gave some information on what the new RTX 2080 can do compared to the GTX 1080 at 4K resolution:
NV-GeForce-RTX-2080-Performance-Games.jpg
NV-GeForce-RTX-2080-Performance.jpg

And there's this video of the user claiming it's RTX 2080 Ti vs GTX 1080 Ti in games using Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS), might be real or not, video quality is crappy though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMbh6zFrzto

Online

#20 August 22 2018

Tech Guru
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

Pascal owners  will be missing ray racing and DLSS is not a software gimmick it needs Tensor cores and neural networking it's a revolutionary thing in the gaming world , when a game has high resolution data the gpu will use AI to create a native 2160p rendering  image without any upscaling or checkerboarding shit at a lower cost performance hit.

2080ti vs 1080ti ~ 1.5x performance in none DLSS games and 2x in DLSS Games, gladly I sold my 1080ti Strix @650 the passed Saturday before Turing announcement. Its already obsolete in all terms and truth hurt yes but I lost 33 %of its initial purchase value. Tech is evolving , nobody can say sh.. about next gen since they  perceive that their old gen tech comes in par. Wishful thinking has no room on how tech is moving.

Last edited by Tech Guru (August 22 2018)

Offline

#21 August 22 2018

Tech Guru
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

It is a baseline yes for a new leap , next gen will be more efficient sure with a further die shrink. However they  managed after an era of engineering  to put three kind of different task oriented cores representing three technologies in one chip. That is a leap  since these tech were available for very expensive pro level rendering enterprise solution hardware now we have an end customer graphic card like Rtx 2700 @ 550 usd coming in par with a previous + 10000 usd triple V120s to do ray tracing and deep learning calculations. Relatively the TDP of the 2080ti is not very high for the number of different cores it has.

Offline

#22 August 22 2018

Tech Guru
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

AMD, in the graphic cards line ,lacks in perfomance / innovation in the graphic cards line. They will keep the approach of " catch me a year later" with the Navi and Vega 20 7nm releases. Look.at the Vega 64 it has ~ 13 Tflops FP32  yet the 1080ti has ~ 11.3 and beats in almost all AAA titles across all resolutions. AMD must core hard to change their core engineering of their chips.

Look at the 2080ti vs 1080ti as a raw rendering rasterization on paper

21 % increase in cuda cores
616 GB/s vs 484 GB/s memor bandwidth
~ 14 Tflops of FP32 vs 11.3

That is not a big leap in paper specs , yet Nvidia with their shift to 12nm FF vs 16nm on Pascal , made a leap in efficiency and SMs The streaming multiprocessors (SMs) are the part of the GPU that runs our CUDA kernels , for that the leap in rasterization performance  without RT or DLSS.

Offline

#23 August 22 2018

Tech Guru
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

Raficoo wrote:

So Nvidia finally gave some information on what the new RTX 2080 can do compared to the GTX 1080 at 4K resolution:
https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/upl … -Games.jpg
https://cdn.wccftech.com/wp-content/upl … rmance.jpg

And there's this video of the user claiming it's RTX 2080 Ti vs GTX 1080 Ti in games using Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS), might be real or not, video quality is crappy though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMbh6zFrzto

If you take with the recent graph a linear performance trend the 2080 is faster than the 1080

~ 1.45 -  1.5 at 2160p without DLSS and ~ 2x with DLSS Compatible games same will follow with the 2080 vs 1080ti , thus the video has some creadibility backed with the demo that Nvidia showed in their conference as Gamescom - In a demo called "Infiltrator" at Gamescom, a single Turing-based GPU was able to render it in 4K with high quality graphics setting at a steady 60FPS using DLSS , actually it was ~ 78 bu capped by the 60hz panel being played at. Huang noted that it actually runs at 78FPS, the demo was just limited by the stage display. On a GTX 1080 Ti, that same demo runs in the 30FPS range.

Offline

#24 August 24 2018

anayman_k7
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

DLSS = Rendering in lower resolution and then upscaling
The performance chart provided by Nvidia was inspected by Hardware Unboxed, for a certain reason Nvidia also tested using HDR enabled which was tested to affect performance on the 10 series card which they could have solved with the 20 series, the benchmark chart provided by Nvidia which came late for some weird reasons still not provide a clear information about the performance on the 20 series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoePGSmFkBg

Offline

#25 August 24 2018

Tech Guru
Member

Re: RTX 2080ti - Nvidia "Turing" Upgrade

anayman_k7 wrote:

DLSS = Rendering in lower resolution and then upscaling
The performance chart provided by Nvidia was inspected by Hardware Unboxed, for a certain reason Nvidia also tested using HDR enabled which was tested to affect performance on the 10 series card which they could have solved with the 20 series, the benchmark chart provided by Nvidia which came late for some weird reasons still not provide a clear information about the performance on the 20 series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoePGSmFkBg


"Just Buy It: Why Nvidia RTX GPUs Are Worth the Money"

https://www.tomshardware.com/…/nvidia-r … th-the-mo…

Done Get Rid of the 1080ti Strix and waiting to the 2080ti Stix to drop in my case. No time for " fake convincing" that no need to upgrade skip to 7nm and give myself assumptions : RT is a gimmick , No great leap in performance , DLSS is a gimmick , 30 fps in Tombraider with RT in 1080p etc since I don't want to lose in a sell value and saying all sh..t for the new gen.

Turing is a  leap with a fast moving tech.

My next post will be mocking post for those who still perceive that Turing =1.3 Pascal in pure rasterization (without DLSS / RT ). Benchmarks will be revealed sooner or Later ?

Look at the 2080ti vs 1080ti as a raw rendering rasterization on paper

21 % increase in cuda cores
616 GB/s vs 484 GB/s memor bandwidth
~ 14 Tflops of FP32 vs 11.3

That is not a big leap in paper specs , yet Nvidia with their shift to 12nm FF vs 16nm on Pascal , made a leap in efficiency and SMs The streaming multiprocessors (SMs) are the part of the GPU that runs our CUDA kernels , for that the leap in rasterization performance without RT or DLSS.

Last edited by Tech Guru (August 24 2018)

Offline

Board footer