LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 8 2018

rolf

Privacy laws in Europe

Some times ago, I registered a .be (belgium) domain mainly for my own use.
Because I like my privacy, I registered it under a fake name and address.
Out of curiosity, I looked up the domain data in the belgian whois, today.
I expected to see my fake name and address, but instead it would not show anything, with the following notice:

WHY ARE THE CONTACT DETAILS FOR A DOMAIN NAME SOMETIMES SHIELDED?
As of 25 May 2018, no personal data are to be shown on our website any longer in order to protect the privacy of individual persons. If the registrant is a private person, no contact details will be displayed, in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), the legislation regarding the privacy of citizens. E-mail addresses of companies and organisations are also shielded.

I don't know about you but I love this privacy stuff.

A few years ago, I registered my name and address with a few recruiters in Europe, and I used to get tons of emails about jobs, 90% of which I was not qualified for, so effectively very annoying spam.

When the GDPR went into effect, I started receiving an email from each of these idiots saying that due to regulation I was about to be removed from their mailing list, unless I respond to their mail to confirm that I want to keep receiving emails. I ignored every one of these mails and it felt good.

However I still receive a little job-related spam for some reason.

By the way, the cookie warning, on the other hand, is a bit dumb, in my opinion.

Last edited by rolf (August 8 2018)

#2 August 10 2018

ap4ss3rby

Re: Privacy laws in Europe

GDPR is a new regulation by the EU that is supposed to tell you what data is being shared by the service you are using so long as it has European customers even if the company is outside Europe and it forces them to delete all data upon request. It is defintely a welcome change from the past read the ToS(that nobody reads to begin with since they are a wall of text in legalese). In your case they couldn't reach you or knew you will ignore them so they said screw it let's delete the data we have on people who don't use the services we offer, and as such your email got deleted and your email address is yours again(kind off).

Last edited by ap4ss3rby (August 10 2018)

#3 August 21 2018

Joe

It is defintely a welcome change from the past read the ToS(that nobody reads to begin with since they are a wall of text in legalese)

I still don't read the GDPR legalese. I just click "I Agree" and move on... just like in the EULA days. People keep thinking that the solution to privacy is making me consent to abstract complex stuff... >.<

#4 August 21 2018

rolf

I agree, legal over complexity and micro management are common issue with EU and this is counter productive.
People should know and understand their rights to be able to defend them.
However I like the consequences  of the new laws so far

Last edited by rolf (August 22 2018)

Board footer