LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 July 11 2018

dio

Microwave question

Hello!

Does anyone have an experience with Wise's microwave internet? If so, how is latency, download speed, etc. Any comments or recommendations?

Thanks

#2 July 11 2018

RandomMemory

Re: Microwave question

im installing one today from a reseller, their ping is very good, 70ms. But the person im installing from is kind of his own DSP. So yeah it depends if you take from parent company or from someone buying bandwidth from them

Last edited by RandomMemory (July 11 2018)

#3 July 11 2018

dio

RandomMemory wrote:

im installing one today from a reseller, their ping is very good, 70ms. But the person im installing from is kind of his own DSP. So yeah it depends if you take from parent company or from someone buying bandwidth from them

Im thinking of taking it from Wise, problem is cant test it, and I dont wnat to commit the $400 install fee and find out the ping is worse than 70ms.

#4 July 11 2018

Aly

I never tried Wise’s microwave connection, but i can tell you we have an IDM 50 Mbps up/down at work and it is pretty much stable, ping to idm is around 5-6ms and ping to Europe is 50-60 ms.
My cousin recently subscribed to Terranet’s microwave service 10mbps up/down (but through a reseller not directly with terra) his results are also similar and he is satisfied.
Even those fancy gaming lounges have microwave internet from local ISP.

#5 July 11 2018

dio

Aly wrote:

I never tried Wise’s microwave connection, but i can tell you we have an IDM 50 Mbps up/down at work and it is pretty much stable, ping to idm is around 5-6ms and ping to Europe is 50-60 ms.
My cousin recently subscribed to Terranet’s microwave service 10mbps up/down (but through a reseller not directly with terra) his results are also similar and he is satisfied.
Even those fancy gaming lounges have microwave internet from local ISP.

Awesome to know. Thank you!

May I ask why everyone is going through a  reseller and not directly through an ISP?

Last edited by dio (July 11 2018)

#6 July 11 2018

Aly

@dio simply because resellers are cheaper since they provide you with a shared connection and of course this is cheaper, for example my cousin took a 10 mbps up / down and the reseller promised him that he is going to reach his speed 90% of the times unless there is a huge load during peak hours (just like dsl up to speeds), he pays 200$ per month for this.
While corporate institutions need dedicated internet speeds 24/7 therefore they deal with the ISP directly and of course pay a lot more, if i am not mistaken my company pays around 3500$ per month for the 50 mbps up/down dedicated.

#7 July 12 2018

dio

Aly wrote:

@dio simply because resellers are cheaper since they provide you with a shared connection and of course this is cheaper, for example my cousin took a 10 mbps up / down and the reseller promised him that he is going to reach his speed 90% of the times unless there is a huge load during peak hours (just like dsl up to speeds), he pays 200$ per month for this.
While corporate institutions need dedicated internet speeds 24/7 therefore they deal with the ISP directly and of course pay a lot more, if i am not mistaken my company pays around 3500$ per month for the 50 mbps up/down dedicated.

That's strange. WISE offered me 8/3 solution for $200 a month. While the reseller offered me the same package for $250.

May I ask which reseller your cousin is using?

Board footer