LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 23 2018

jad594

VPN Questions for a noob

Hey guys,

I have some questions concerning VPN’s

1) Can I download a VPN for reducing my ping on fortnite servers?

2) If the answer to above is yes, which one do you recommend?

3) If the answer to both the above are yes and I do download a VPN, what is the risk associated with it? Is it possible to be hacked by the vpn provider?

I did some research and found this on VyperVPN (contradicting statements):

* VPN will not reduce ping unless there is packet loss by your ISP.
* This is the only VPN I’ve tested that gives me 0 packet loss and 17ms ping. It is not free, and somewhat expensive, thus explains the overall quality.

Thanks

Last edited by jad594 (May 23 2018)

#2 May 23 2018

Draguen

Re: VPN Questions for a noob

Unlikely, in easy words, your ping depends on the quality of the infrastructure and distance to the server you're connected to.

if your ISP uses weird pathways  instead of a straight line to the server you're connected, you might have a decrease of your ping latency by forcing your internet connection to pass by a specific (and sometimes better / shorter) road (your VPN server). However if your connection is more or less straighforward to the server, then you'll only add an extra step to reach the server which might in fact increase your ping.

a VPN will not change the quality of the infrastructure of your ISP and how your internet is delivered to your home, if it's shit, it's shit and there's very few things you might do to fix it from your side, unless you have interference but that's another discussion.

long story short, probably not, but these VPN usually give you a free month to try and cancel before starting to pay, just do that and see the results by yourself. i believe VyprVPN is a good VPN: https://www.techradar.com/reviews/vyprvpn

#3 May 23 2018

rolf

jad594 wrote:

Hey guys,

I have some questions concerning VPN’s

Hi Jad

jad594 wrote:

1) Can I download a VPN for reducing my ping on fortnite servers?

No you cannot download a VPN just like you cannot download "a Wifi".
VPN means "Virtual Private Network" so yeah it's a network, can't really download a network.
So basically I don't know what you mean by that. I am guessing you mean a "VPN client".

Regarding ping, going through a VPN normally does not reduce your ping and normally will make your performance worse. There are cases where it can make your performance better, if your ISP is restrictive but for some reasons give good priority to VPN connections. But these are exceptions and more like fortunate accidents so I would say don't really count on it.

jad594 wrote:

2) If the answer to above is yes, which one do you recommend?

I have set up a VPN provider on my VPS server using OpenVPN. It needed some tweaking for performance (very slow by default) but works now.
Anyway I don't know it really depends on what you want. Some providers are better for downloading torrents (although probably a seedbox is a better options), some are better for privacy, some are good for watching Netlix, which usually blocks all VPN IPs, some are good for testing the connection in different countries, some are cheap, etc.

jad594 wrote:

3) If the answer to both the above are yes and I do download a VPN, what is the risk associated with it? Is it possible to be hacked by the vpn provider?

Your VPN provider can "look" inside your traffic. It cannot read your encrypted (HTTPS) traffic, but it should be able to tell which domains you are visiting by listening to DNS and watching which IPs you are connecting to.

Regarding the risk of being hacked, keep your computer up to date and you should be safe. I would say the risk can be higher than just being on a private network.

jad594 wrote:

* VPN will not reduce ping unless there is packet loss by your ISP.
* This is the only VPN I’ve tested that gives me 0 packet loss and 17ms ping. It is not free, and somewhat expensive, thus explains the overall quality.

So you've done some research about ping.
If it's a TCP VPN then it can make ICMP and UDP connections more reliable by encapsulating them in TCP. But then I'm sure it will have a negative impact on performance because of the overhead.

So since Fortnite is a game, it probably uses UDP connections. If your ISP is really bad for UDP then a VPN over TCP maybe can help.

So go ahead and try a VPN.
But you should know that if you have a bad connection sometimes trying to "fix" that is like trying to turn mud into gold. So don't count on it too much.

jad594 wrote:

Thanks

You're welcome

#4 July 11 2018

rolf

OK I carried out a few tests today and thought I'd update this relevant thread.
I tested my various internet options, with or without VPN. it seems that my best option is 3G connection, and I think I prefer with VPN.
I didn't have a 100% consistent result, so it maybe be an illusion; but I had the feeling that the connection is kind of stable when going through my VPN server, plus I like the added privacy.
The ping is slightly higher (worse), the upload and download speed maybe 20% lower, however in practice the browsing experience is OK.

Last edited by rolf (July 11 2018)

#5 July 12 2018

Hybrid

The latency is mostly stable and low when the VPN server is located in a country that is connected to the IMEWE, for instance France

Board footer