LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 20 2018

FadZ

Can I increase my phone line's maximum attainable speed?

So I tried the Ogero speed test for my phone line (I'm a Sodetel user, my speed's been around 1.3 mbps for a while/used to reach 1.8), and the result they gave is a top speed of 2 mbps. My question is can I do anything to improve it? Would changing the wire from my home to the phone box on the street have any positive effect?

NLTOHxF.jpg

Another problem I noticed is that the phone started to have really loud background noise as long as the modem was on, and both the phone and modem haven't changed positions ever since I installed so there's nothing in the surrounding wiring that changed. Additionally, all phones are now displaying an exclamation mark whenever they connect to my modem wifi, despite having an active internet connection from it.

I just thought all these factors together might indicate that something in my copper wire has gone wrong.

#2 May 20 2018

xazbrat

Re: Can I increase my phone line's maximum attainable speed?

Theoretically it is possible, but since you have noise on your line now, get a tech out to your place and have him try to find out the cause.  In the meantime, remove the phone(s) and filters and check how much your speed changes.  If it changes somewhat significantly, changing the filter may give you a quick and inexpensive boost.  Technically you aren't that far from your theoretical speed, and the expense of a new line for potentially a 0.5 mb/s isn't cost effective.  If you maximum potential speed were 10 mb, then you could look at that option.

Board footer