LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 25 2018

jaqen h'ghar

Management Information Systems

Hello,

I was a Computer Engineering Major at BAU but I switched after my first semester because the Engineering Courses were too hard for me to deal with Especially since I was Sociology and Economics in School.

After 1 Semester in Engineering I switched to Computer science, 2 semesters passed but i'm still Struggling through, I'm thinking of switching to MIS and be done with it. Any Idea If i should switch majors and what are the job opportunities & salary?

Thanks in advance

#2 April 25 2018

Aly

Re: Management Information Systems

My humble advise, you shouldn't be thinking about it this way, it seems your are going for majors that you dont like therefore having a hard time passing the courses, and convincing yourself that these majors will get you a decent job and salary. Mate I know graduated engineers that are being payed shit while some other talented technicians are making several thousand dollars a month ...
You probably should choose a major that you like and where you can excel then a decent career should follow.

#3 April 26 2018

elserge82

Aly wrote:

My humble advise, you shouldn't be thinking about it this way, it seems your are going for majors that you dont like therefore having a hard time passing the courses, and convincing yourself that these majors will get you a decent job and salary. Mate I know graduated engineers that are being payed shit while some other talented technicians are making several thousand dollars a month ...
You probably should choose a major that you like and where you can excel then a decent career should follow.

Best answer you can get. Thank you Aly

Last edited by elserge82 (April 26 2018)

#4 April 26 2018

Guitaret

Computer science is an excellent choice and still a booming career worldwide. Computer science career is one of the highest paying majors and it pays well in all its applications. But you have to know/explain why is the reason you are struggling with this choice. Is it because some courses are not your best suit or you do not like programming? Have you taken a programming class and you did not enjoy a bit? Or maybe it is that you did not like the environment at this university. I mean you may struggle through college but still graduate and have a successful career, but if you did not enjoy any major course yet, you are probably not where you should be.

#5 April 26 2018

jaqen h'ghar

I decided to stay, I often Overthink stuff.
I'm good with the programming not Great but good enough,My problem is in other courses related to Math/Phys and such.

#6 April 27 2018

elserge82

jaqen h'ghar wrote:

I decided to stay, I often Overthink stuff.
I'm good with the programming not Great but good enough,My problem is in other courses related to Math/Phys and such.

Believe me, you will find such courses in every major you choose.Just do your thingy and challenge yourself with the other courses.
Good luck.

Jumping from one major to another wont help you much.It will make you lose your self confidence, not to mention the time consumed.

Last edited by elserge82 (April 27 2018)

#7 April 27 2018

rolf

My advice is do not do what I did which is try to take an easy and fast route, you will be bored to death with non-challenging stuff that you know or are not interested in and your grades will suffer.
At least I believe this applied to me, of course every one is different so take it as it is.

That doesn't mean that easy courses are bad. If sociology is your thing and you are finding it easy than it's OK and you can consider going for a social major. However something appearing to be easy and fast route to get a degree should not be the main reason for choosing it, when it comes to studies, that is what I believe.

Last edited by rolf (April 27 2018)

Board footer