LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 19 2018

infiniteloop

Alternative to OLX?

I am searching for an alternative to OLX, elmazad is nearly dead.
OLX is becoming a pain because:
-Way too many ads posted per day making yours insignificant
-Way too much African Spammers
-Way too much people who think a product A which costs 1000$ = product B which costs 400$
-Way too much people who want to make you beg to sell at a ridiculous price then don't buy at all

#2 April 20 2018

LifeEngineer

Re: Alternative to OLX?

I agree with all of your points but unfortunately, it's still the most popular out there, by far.
So posting on somewhere else is not gonna get the same exposure you have on that website.
Oh and I've stumbled on some, left and right, but they're also nearly dead so yeah, sorry can't help too much on that.

#3 April 20 2018

xazbrat

Yeah--there is al waseet and a few localized ones but they wont get near the exposure of olx.  If you are trying to reach a certain segment, try advertising in publications catering towards those individuals you are targeting, ie real estate publications for real estate.  It may cost a little more (not free obv), but at least you won't be drowned out.

#4 April 20 2018

Guitaret

@infiniteloop I totally agree with you but you are not fully getting the extent of the problem. Because OLX got so popular and abundant in products and sellers, it is now a benchmark valuation for everything you want to sell. It normalized the prices of everything everywhere in this country. You cannot escape its power by switching to another portal.

Example of a real-life scenario: If you go as far as putting a sticker on your car back windshield saying "Phone X for sale with Y GB of memory for 400$", the first thing a potential buyer will do is open OLX, search for your item and sort by price ascending and obviously will find prices cheaper than yours and will make a quick first assumption that you are selling too high.

Every seller is suffering from this: if you want to sell a car, some jackass will call and tell you that it is too expensive and that he just saw a similar one on OLX in Sour area for 3000$ less. What can I say; I guess this is one of the drawbacks of technologies & Internet being available to all.

#5 April 21 2018

infiniteloop

Back in elmazad times it was much easier to sell, perhaps it had more serious buyers, OLX made so much ads about their own website that too many cheap people think they have the rights to bother sellers by asking 1/2 even 1/3 of the published price.
If they see you agreed to lower  a bit the price they will ask for a lower price again and again and in the end they don't even buy.
As for African spammers, they should do like ''Leboncoin'' which is similar to OLX in France, they simply hide emails and phone numbers of the sellers to any ip outside France, OLX should do the same, or at least block African ips.

#6 May 8 2018

Mhdskr

infiniteloop wrote:

Back in elmazad times it was much easier to sell, perhaps it had more serious buyers, OLX made so much ads about their own website that too many cheap people think they have the rights to bother sellers by asking 1/2 even 1/3 of the published price.
If they see you agreed to lower  a bit the price they will ask for a lower price again and again and in the end they don't even buy.
As for African spammers, they should do like ''Leboncoin'' which is similar to OLX in France, they simply hide emails and phone numbers of the sellers to any ip outside France, OLX should do the same, or at least block African ips.

One thing that helped me a lot in greatly reducing the number of cheap people and spammers contacting me is disabling the option to be contacted through chat. I also mention in every post that I don't reply to sms. If someone isn't willing to make the effort to save my number and call me or at least politely contact me on whatsapp, then they're not worthy of my time either.

Last edited by Mhdskr (May 8 2018)

Board footer