LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 16 2018

DG

Shipping to Canada

Hi,

I might be moving to Canada (Montreal) in the near future. I am considering shipping my PC (case and monitor) and my gaming chair which I bought recently.
Do you guys think this is a good idea (cost is acceptable and equipment will arrive in a good condition) or I am better selling everything here and buying a new PC + gaming chair once I get there ?
Thanks in advance for the replies.

#2 April 16 2018

MrClass

Re: Shipping to Canada

Depends how much did the whole thing cost you. I'd say anything less than 2000$ is not worth it. If I were you, I'd carry with me the gfx, mobo, cpu, and storage drives. Buy a new case and power supply when you get there.

#3 April 17 2018

DG

Do you think they will let me take these parts with me in a small suitcase on the plane ? Or would I have to wrap them carefully and send them in a big suitcase (the one you cannot bring aboard with you) ?

#4 April 17 2018

crazy

When I did it around 8 years ago, I removed the HDDs and graphic card from the case and put them in my carry-on. The case was in one of my suitcases with clothing around and inside of it, and the monitor in another one of my suitcases with some bubble wrap and clothing around it.
Arrived in a pretty good shape to MTL.

Now for the chair, I'd buy another one once you get there.

Last edited by crazy (April 17 2018)

#5 April 17 2018

nuclearcat

They might reject to take onboard with you, as some parts might be too sharp (and can be used as knife).
And that means you will have to leave them with security, imho very bad scenario, if it is some expensive GPU.

#6 April 17 2018

Flakk

Im not sure about the chair, but I recommend selling the PC and re-buy everything from Canada.
As nuclearcat said, its very risky to take PC parts with you on the plane, they might get rejected.

#7 April 17 2018

Papusan

Flakk wrote:

Im not sure about the chair, but I recommend selling the PC and re-buy everything from Canada.
As nuclearcat said, its very risky to take PC parts with you on the plane, they might get rejected.

Agreed, I'm selling my barebone built laptop because of this, its brand was considered "suspicious" (sager) and the laptop has unusual thickness (altho 5mm thicker than a 2015 macbook pro) as airlines are used to ultrabooks, maybe since they can't scan the battery capacity inside it was 74wh, either way I'm not even sure what would happen with pc parts, but thats just the airlines that I travel with back and forth. I still hear that the US tsa allows a node 202 case in a backpack as long as it pass the scan
Laptop got rejected and had to ship it with DHL for ~200usd

Last edited by Papusan (April 17 2018)

#8 April 18 2018

MrClass

Papusan wrote:
Flakk wrote:

Agreed, I'm selling my barebone built laptop because of this, its brand was considered "suspicious" (sager) and the laptop has unusual thickness (altho 5mm thicker than a 2015 macbook pro) as airlines are used to ultrabooks, maybe since they can't scan the battery capacity inside it was 74wh, either way I'm not even sure what would happen with pc parts, but thats just the airlines that I travel with back and forth. I still hear that the US tsa allows a node 202 case in a backpack as long as it pass the scan
Laptop got rejected and had to ship it with DHL for ~200usd

That's airline bullshit. Laptop thickness has nothing to do with security. The only thing they restrict is battery capacity. FAA approves anything with a battery less than 99wh, which is the max battery capacity that you'll ever find. 74wh should be totally acceptable.

Board footer