LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 4 2018

rolf

Standard for electrical grounding in Lebanon

At my place, there is no proper grounding. Which means I get tiny electrical discharges and noise on the audio.
What is the average state of electrical grounding in Lebanese homes? And in offices?
Is it more common to have proper grounding than not?

#2 April 4 2018

nuclearcat

Re: Standard for electrical grounding in Lebanon

Never seen proper grounding and wiring for it

#3 April 4 2018

rolf

nuclearcat wrote:

Never seen proper grounding and wiring for it

Great! Thanks.
I miss proper grounding.
In Europe they have proper grounding everywhere.
One thing they do better in Lebanon is the water drains on the floor in bathrooms. You can just remove the lid on one of them and throw a bucket of water and all the crap will be washed away. In Germany, France, UK, I have never seen this. You must use a mop to absorb the water and find a way to pick up all the hair and crap.

#4 April 5 2018

nuclearcat

What people from outside noticed, everything get dusted quite quickly even outside cities. And hamsins, good luck mopping after them.
But when you dont have all that problems, throwing water is not justifiable and it will be just turning lot drinking water(remember in europe water from tap is drinkable) to waste.

And grounding is not done, most likely because construction guy dont want to pay for extra wire and proper grounding installation.
I am considering to do my own grounding (still need to talk with owner of building), because experimenting with laser tube and having chance for 30000V+ to go back to mains or across wires on table... well, not pleasant.

#5 April 5 2018

hkbazzi

Guys I bootlegged the electrical wire in my wall socket. It did take out the noise and the electricity passing through the components on my PC but I am not sure if it is safe

#6 April 5 2018

duke-of-bytes

you can ground your equipment yourself with easy , you do not have to ground all the building especially if it a pc or anything with lower power rating
per example all the vsat installations i did i grounded them properly (grounding holes , etc) but all the servers are ground to the metallic cabinet and this is connected to a small power diffuser

#7 April 5 2018

rolf

nuclearcat wrote:

What people from outside noticed, everything get dusted quite quickly even outside cities. And hamsins, good luck mopping after them.

Yes the dust is terrible in Beirut. I think it's greatly due to pollution, all that cement, no trees to absorb the dust. Plant and trees absorb a lot of dust.
I went to Zahle once and it was very dusty there, even much worse. But it was yellow dust (not weird gray-white). It is natural because of the semi-desert stone mountains.

nuclearcat wrote:

But when you dont have all that problems, throwing water is not justifiable and it will be just turning lot drinking water(remember in europe water from tap is drinkable) to waste.

That must be the reason. Yet it doesn't have to use more water. The difference is that you can use the squeegee which is that foamy blade thing. It pushes everything down the drain, much more efficient than a mop. I would have liked to have that option.

nuclearcat wrote:

And grounding is not done, most likely because construction guy dont want to pay for extra wire and proper grounding installation.

Maybe there is an ideology in lebanon where people think they are tough and smart and who cares about a few volts, and nothing bad will happen. In any case it makes for a lower quality of life.

nuclearcat wrote:

I am considering to do my own grounding (still need to talk with owner of building), because experimenting with laser tube and having chance for 30000V+ to go back to mains or across wires on table... well, not pleasant.

Go for it! Maybe there are cheaper options like external cabling.

hkbazzi wrote:

Guys I bootlegged the electrical wire in my wall socket.

I don't know that this means.

Last edited by rolf (April 5 2018)

#8 April 5 2018

duke-of-bytes

bootlegging is against building code and it is dangerous
bootlegging meaning connecting neutral cable from the house wiring to the appliance (like the pc case)
better is to use an rcb ( residual current breaker )

#9 April 6 2018

Xsever

The problem in Lebanon is that every electrical pole is supposed to be grounded so that any damaging current can only go between 2 poles maximum before going to ground, but that is unfortunately not the case.

When they are installing new poles, they either don't dig deep enough and/or do not fill the hole with the proper grounding material, and/or do not install the copper rod needed, and/or do not connect the copper rod to the pole via the proper wire.

All this is due to weak supervision and/or bribery so that the supervisor in charge of checking turns the other way, unfortunately.

#10 April 6 2018

hkbazzi

duke-of-bytes wrote:

bootlegging meaning connecting neutral cable from the house wiring to the appliance (like the pc case)

how do I do that? and where do I get it from? Does it suck up the excess electricity from my components? Will I feel electricity when touching the metal part of my devices?

#11 April 7 2018

duke-of-bytes

hkbazzi wrote:
duke-of-bytes wrote:

how do I do that? and where do I get it from? Does it suck up the excess electricity from my components? Will I feel electricity when touching the metal part of my devices?

please check this on rcb https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device
i am sure Katranji have these , but it is better to always check with a good electrician before

#12 April 7 2018

nuclearcat

I'm quite sure RCB is totally useless in this case and waste of money. It protects if you touch phase and serious current start to flow thru you from phase and kill you.
It checks inequality of current on phase vs neutral wire, if there is inequality (someone touched phase wire and current flows thru his body, instead of closed loop) - it stops phase. Thats fine when your ground works.

And yes, because there is no damn ground, as soon as you touch your pc, you get leakage over noise filtering capacitors (usually installed from neutral and phase to ground wire, this is typical SMPS circuit), and ground wire... is floating in typical lebanese house. And most likely your RCB wont trigger, because leakage current over this Y capacitors is ~3-4mA, and "whole house" RCD is usually in range of 30-40mA.

#13 April 16 2018

Papusan

Slightly unrelated, but to save others from trouble never have a floating ground, its very dangerous.
One of these "simfer" ovens in my house had a broken timer that connected phase to ground, I got electric shock when opening our aluminium built refrigerator thankfully no electrocution (wearing boots). Our kitchen TV also died with 3 prongs

Board footer