LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 February 27 2018

mohammadk97

Re: What mobile phone are you using?

Nextbit Robin, been using it for over a year now, and it still runs smooth as butter. I may consider changing to the Razer phone 2 when it's released next year.

Last edited by mohammadk97 (February 27 2018)

#27 February 27 2018

nefe_lpmk

Using Samsung Note 5, still going strong.
Only setback is the natural battery life decay, wish it could be easily swapped (planned obsolescence?).

Looking to update maybe on Note 9.But seeing the newly released S9 Features, nothing added there is exciting for me.

#28 February 27 2018

NuclearVision

mohammadk97 wrote:

Nextbit Robin, been using it for over a year now, and it still runs smooth as butter. I may consider changing to the Razer phone 2 when it's released next year.

I read razer phones have modest camera and thats a con for me.

#29 February 27 2018

NuclearVision

nefe_lpmk wrote:

Using Samsung Note 5, still going strong.
Only setback is the natural battery life decay, wish it could be easily swapped (planned obsolescence?).

Looking to update maybe on Note 9.But seeing the newly released S9 Features, nothing added there is exciting for me.

yes exactly my feeling. Nothing new will be added. But this is particularly true in iphones.

#30 February 27 2018

NuclearVision

jad594 wrote:

Have you considered the OnePlus 5T? I believe phonefinity has some in stock.

https://www.phonefinity.net/oneplus/5t/

(Not sure if I just broke rule #6).

I definitely did. and it' on my list.

#31 February 27 2018

NuclearVision

LifeEngineer wrote:

S7 edge.
LGs are great value for money.
Samsung is king in market share/marketing and features.
Pixels are kings of pure android and fast updates.
HTC is also king in software optimization and fast updates.

hello. Would any of these or one more than others, Last for a couple of years without serious lag.
As another user pointed out we're not seeing much more features from year to year and phone durability is critical for me, something huawei has been advertising, they claim their phones will retain 90% of their initial strength if i shall say, after 18 months. I know it' probably not evidence-based, but i wish other manufacturers would take the same road.
Thanks again guys!

#32 February 27 2018

nefe_lpmk

NuclearVision wrote:
LifeEngineer wrote:

S7 edge.
LGs are great value for money.
Samsung is king in market share/marketing and features.
Pixels are kings of pure android and fast updates.
HTC is also king in software optimization and fast updates.

hello. Would any of these or one more than others, Last for a couple of years without serious lag.
As another user pointed out we're not seeing much more features from year to year and phone durability is critical for me, something huawei has been advertising, they claim their phones will retain 90% of their initial strength if i shall say, after 18 months. I know it' probably not evidence-based, but i wish other manufacturers would take the same road.
Thanks again guys!

Go for the Mate 10 Pro with the package gift.

It's the best phone for the money right now. You will be getting a flagship with great design, Local support, AI ship, good camera and good updates for 500-600$, instead of paying 1k+ $.

#33 February 27 2018

Xsever

nefe_lpmk wrote:

It's the best phone for the money right now. You will be getting a flagship with great design, Local support, AI ship, good camera and good updates for 500-600$, instead of paying 1k+ $.

I keep hearing this advice and yes for the money, the phone is amazing, but I hear a lot of complaints about Huawei not updating their phones for long enough.

#34 February 28 2018

NuclearVision

nefe_lpmk wrote:

What does it consist of? And where could i possibly buy it? Thanks!

#35 February 28 2018

LifeEngineer

NuclearVision wrote:

Thanks again guys!

Of course there are lots of concerns and issues with each brand.

If sustained speed/smoothness over a long period is a must for you, I would advise against Samsung and LG (being a user of both for a long time now).
Go for Oneplus, Huawei, HTC or a Pixel phone.

If a long update/support over a long period is a must for you, I would suggest a Pixel phone or an HTC phone only.
My friend received android 6.0 on his HTC M8. That is impressive if you ask me for a phone nearly 4 years old now (and 3 years old maybe when receiving that update) I've never seen samsung, LG, oneplus or anyone else do that. Heck, even maybe more impressive than Nexus/Pixel itself.
My problem with HTC is the high prices and lack of impressive hardware designs or software features.

#36 February 28 2018

Xsever

LifeEngineer wrote:

If sustained speed/smoothness over a long period is a must for you, I would advise against Samsung and LG (being a user of both for a long time now).

I beg to differ regarding Samsung. I've had my S7 since October 2016, it has 140 user apps, and I use it extensively, and it did not slow down and battery life is still great. I can't say the same about my LG G3 which I owned before the S7.

#37 February 28 2018

Draguen

Proud owner of an essential phone running android 8.1 (Official Beta) with Evie launcher.

The phone is buttery smooth and super fast. I keep on opening apps just for the pleasure of the instant reaction.

i got the phone during cyber monday (400 USD with the 360 cam) and used Phonefinity shipping services, paid in total 500 USD ( taxes +
shipping ) and including a cover

Huawei are great btw, i came from a mate 8 that was running great for a couple of years, it was still decently fast but i broke the screen many times so you gotta be careful

#38 February 28 2018

nas93

iPhone 5S been using it for 4 years, home button stopped working couple months back and my screen broke a week ago other than that 0 issues. It has served me well, probably going for an 8.

#39 March 1 2018

LifeEngineer

Xsever wrote:
LifeEngineer wrote:

I beg to differ regarding Samsung. I've had my S7 since October 2016, it has 140 user apps, and I use it extensively, and it did not slow down and battery life is still great. I can't say the same about my LG G3 which I owned before the S7.

I beg to differ on your begging :)
I'm on my 2nd S7 edge; the first one was used for like 8 months when I broke it and it was already running slow and battery degraded.
This second one is now in its 10th month I think and it slows down a lot sometimes and fully charge it at least twice a day; battery life has heavily degraded. Some apps take seconds to load; when phone is under a load, opening whatsapp takes sometimes 5sec or more; camera gets laggy; pressing video record button to record a video takes sometimes 7sec to start recording.

#40 March 1 2018

Gamer

iPhone 6 Plus, had it since 2014, screen broke a month ago (only issue).
My recommendation for Android Devices is to get Stock OS (an OS that doesn't have its own custom Android) this way you ensure you have the latest Firmware.

Having that said I recommend the One+ Series, 5T being the latest (Nov 2017), there might be 6 coming in the next few months. [Note: there was an issue with there OS which had some spyware]

#41 March 1 2018

NuclearVision

The only one plus i found in lebanon is for 680$, for the 8gb/128gb which is apparently an overkill. And of course there's no warranty...

#42 March 2 2018

ironman

Here is an interesting article related to OnePlus

https://www.howtogeek.com/340174/its-ti … m-oneplus/

#43 March 2 2018

rolf

LG G2. Kinda old, still working.
Android apps are mostly compatible, even though I'm running Android 4. I read that this phone will run Android 7 but I'd have to get some non-official ROM and I'm a bit worried about malicious stuff, plus it would take a little time.
Android is pretty good, compatibility and security wise. Since apps run inside some sort of VM, I am not too worried even thought I'm running an old version of the OS. I wish we could have Android on desktop, but with a different UI.

Last edited by rolf (March 2 2018)

#44 March 3 2018

Flakk

rolf wrote:

LG G2. Kinda old, still working.
Android apps are mostly compatible, even though I'm running Android 4. I read that this phone will run Android 7 but I'd have to get some non-official ROM and I'm a bit worried about malicious stuff, plus it would take a little time.
Android is pretty good, compatibility and security wise. Since apps run inside some sort of VM, I am not too worried even thought I'm running an old version of the OS. I wish we could have Android on desktop, but with a different UI.

You shouldn't worry about flashing a custom rom for your G2. Try out the lineage 14.1 rom for your phone it works great for a near stock android experience.

as for android on desktop check this out
http://www.jide.com/remixos

#45 March 4 2018

Salloum

I'm using a Note 8. Still going strong after 6 months, no lag at all (didn't even have to factory reset). Only negative points are the battery life and the looks of the device (just personal opinion. it's too long and big even for 6.3" screen). Not rooted, no custom ROM, but using substrate for overlays and changed the DPI under developer options, looks lovely. A true phablet.

#46 March 4 2018

NuclearVision

you're right the battery is just too small for the note 8.
Huawei wins in this category hands down.
edit: is the pen worth the difference from s series ?
Never tried a note before.

Last edited by NuclearVision (March 4 2018)

#47 March 4 2018

Johnaudi

iPhone X user here for over 4 months, I'm in love with iOS and I think Apple nailed this one. Despite media trying to push it down, I haven't personally found any problems with it except accidentally taking screenshots due to the buttons positioning whilst holding the phone.

Lots of different Android users I see here, I'm actually quite happy that this thread is indeed diverse in terms of phone users. (Unlike the usual iPhone vs Samsung scheme here in Lebanon)

#48 March 5 2018

Salloum

Johnaudi wrote:

iPhone X user here for over 4 months, I'm in love with iOS and I think Apple nailed this one. Despite media trying to push it down, I haven't personally found any problems with it except accidentally taking screenshots due to the buttons positioning whilst holding the phone.

Lots of different Android users I see here, I'm actually quite happy that this thread is indeed diverse in terms of phone users. (Unlike the usual iPhone vs Samsung scheme here in Lebanon)

iPhone X is great, but too small IMO. When they release a Plus version I'll be all over it.

#49 March 5 2018

Salloum

NuclearVision wrote:

you're right the battery is just too small for the note 8.
Huawei wins in this category hands down.
edit: is the pen worth the difference from s series ?
Never tried a note before.

The pen is quite handy. Using it more than I thought I would. The screen off memo feature is really amazing and I use it daily. The 100$ difference for S Pen and dual cameras is worth it. However don't forget that S8+ has larger battery...

#50 March 8 2018

khanem

Pixel 2 xl. Just flashed android 9 developper preview.

Board footer