LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 25 2018

NuclearVision

What mobile phone are you using?

Hey guys, title sums it up.
I recently gave away my iPhone 6 to a family member after 3 years of usage almost. I found a good deal on a huawei mate 10 lite and said i'll give it shot.
Turns out i like android! iPhones are sturdy but i found out you kind of get used of being limited, and don't know it anymore.
So i was thinking of investing in high end phone: I'm looking for names since on google its pretty much the same 3 phones: pixel, note, s8, mate 10.
I want something that lasts around 3 years with no noticeable lag just like my old phone! Battery was still good too!
Feel free to recommend or unrecommend any device! And thanks!

#2 February 26 2018

AVOlio

Re: What mobile phone are you using?

Still rocking my 4 year old note 4.
Bought some aftermarket 10,000mah batteries for it, they last me 20h straight of Heavy (heavy) usage each. (things you can do with removable batteries! Maybe that's why I never upgraded).

#3 February 26 2018

Xsever

I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S7 but it's running a Note 8 custom ROM. Don't feel the need to upgrade anytime soon since the custom ROM will get updated to Oreo as soon as it's out.

Last edited by Xsever (February 26 2018)

#4 February 26 2018

khanem

Pixel 2 xl. Smoothest phone i ever had and i had many before. weakest point is the screen but not a dealbreaker.

#5 February 26 2018

hkbazzi

s8+

#6 February 26 2018

dp0001

I in the same situation, seriously thinking about LG V30 (it has ridiculous features), I've been using the G3 for a couple of years and the one main feature I really can't stop using is the DT2W double tap to wake, just tap the screen to wake up and sleep - seriously hand when you're eating and reading an article :)

#7 February 26 2018

Hybrid

Proud owner of Xiaomi Mi5 Prime, working perfectly

#8 February 26 2018

silo_m8

Nexus 6p. I seem to have gotten a golden sample since I never experienced any of the known 6p problems

#9 February 26 2018

dio

Pixel 2 XL. Great phone, fast, smooth, camera is insane, quickest updates from Google. Downside is some phones have 1 speaker that buzzes (of course mine is 1 of em), and the screen takes some getting used to, but worth it.

#10 February 26 2018

RandomMemory

Nexus 5

#11 February 26 2018

Elied

silo_m8 wrote:

Nexus 6p. I seem to have gotten a golden sample since I never experienced any of the known 6p problems

Same boat as you. But planning to change soon as the battery isn't in the best shape anymore.

#12 February 26 2018

NuclearVision

Thanks for input guys.
I think my primary fear is from samsung's early galaxy line lagging. Pixel 2 xl seems like a nice phone but i couldn't find it here, even if i do it will be costly. Are chinese phones sold here? oneplus, xiaomi... Importing seems to be a hassle.
The s9 released yesterday is appealing but i tend to lean away from galaxy series.
Lg v30 seems like a good option. Any other sturdy phones in the market?

#13 February 26 2018

Prince

Using Huawei Mate 10 lite till this moment its perfect I have been using it since 3 weeks.

#14 February 26 2018

xazbrat

NuclearVision wrote:

Thanks for input guys.
I think my primary fear is from samsung's early galaxy line lagging. Pixel 2 xl seems like a nice phone but i couldn't find it here, even if i do it will be costly. Are chinese phones sold here? oneplus, xiaomi... Importing seems to be a hassle.
The s9 released yesterday is appealing but i tend to lean away from galaxy series.

The V30 is a good phone all round---it is a solid phone  which does everything well and has a lighter skin than Samsung or Huawei and will get upgraded rather quickly.  Another phone to consider (although not for everybody), is the HTC U11.  My brother and his wife have them and they both love the phones.

#15 February 26 2018

anayman_k7

Galaxy S6, once it stops working I'll switch to Hauwei, anything in the 200$-ish budget because if the phone will get boring in 2 years why pay 500$+ for it!

#16 February 26 2018

Xsever

dp0001 wrote:

I in the same situation, seriously thinking about LG V30 (it has ridiculous features), I've been using the G3 for a couple of years and the one main feature I really can't stop using is the DT2W double tap to wake, just tap the screen to wake up and sleep - seriously hand when you're eating and reading an article :)

Currently using the S7 but yeah I miss the double-tap to wake. However, using Nova Launcher, you can easily configure double-tap to sleep.

#17 February 26 2018

NuclearVision

Xsever wrote:
dp0001 wrote:

Currently using the S7 but yeah I miss the double-tap to wake. However, using Nova Launcher, you can easily configure double-tap to sleep.

About this feature: there's something incomplete about it, it dims ur brightness then locks ur screen, didn't like it. Huawei launcher has a lock button on home screen which i like

#18 February 26 2018

infiniteloop

S8 but I want to sell it asap, phone is working pretty well but I am bored

#19 February 26 2018

xazbrat

infiniteloop wrote:

S8 but I want to sell it asap, phone is working pretty well but I am bored

Bored, get yourself a banana phone  ;)

#20 February 27 2018

Flakk

LG G3 running lineage OS 14.1 nightlys
and a cheapo but insane battery life Samsung J7 Core (work phone)

#21 February 27 2018

yasamoka

xazbrat wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

Thanks for input guys.

The V30 is a good phone all round---it is a solid phone  which does everything well and has a lighter skin than Samsung or Huawei and will get upgraded rather quickly.  Another phone to consider (although not for everybody), is the HTC U11.  My brother and his wife have them and they both love the phones.

The LG POLED displays used on the V30 / Pixel 2 XL aren't up to par with Samsung's AMOLED displays, as far as I know.

#22 February 27 2018

boudz

you can buy a pixel 2 for 525$ in lebanon on phonefinity there is a sale
https://www.phonefinity.net/google/pixel-2/

#23 February 27 2018

xazbrat

yasamoka wrote:
xazbrat wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

Thanks for input guys.

The LG POLED displays used on the V30 / Pixel 2 XL aren't up to par with Samsung's AMOLED displays, as far as I know.

The Samsung AMOLEDs are recognized as being the best in the world--that's what Apple is using in its Iphone X.  No matter what may think of Apple, the display on that Iphone just blows people away (and so does the price tag apparently).

#24 February 27 2018

jad594

Have you considered the OnePlus 5T? I believe phonefinity has some in stock.

https://www.phonefinity.net/oneplus/5t/

(Not sure if I just broke rule #6).

Last edited by jad594 (February 27 2018)

#25 February 27 2018

LifeEngineer

S7 edge.
LGs are great value for money.
Samsung is king in market share/marketing and features.
Pixels are kings of pure android and fast updates.
HTC is also king in software optimization and fast updates.

Board footer