LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 14 2018

boudz

Alfa university plan for all people

there is an offer in alfa for university students
5 gb internet 1000 sms and 180 call minutes with month of days for 15$
is there any way for activating it without being a current university student?
there is a person offering activation for 20$ and i wont pay him.  if someone know the method and can help

Screenshot_20180214-074416.jpg

Last edited by boudz (February 14 2018)

#2 February 14 2018

NuclearVision

Re: Alfa university plan for all people

My first impression is that he probably works in a university administration, he could send your name and number to alfa.
So basically it's impossible.
I could be wrong
edit: If you do the math, i believe it's worth the 20$/year if he's legit.

Last edited by NuclearVision (February 14 2018)

#3 February 14 2018

yasamoka

We had to fill out forms that our university submitted to Alfa so that our numbers would be allowed to subscribe.

This is completely unethical.

EDIT: clarification - by "this" I meant trying to cheat one's way to subscribe for the student plan.

Last edited by yasamoka (February 16 2018)

#4 February 14 2018

NuclearVision

yasamoka wrote:

We had to fill out forms that our university submitted to Alfa so that our numbers would be allowed to subscribe.

This is completely unethical.

Being a student my self i think it's unfair for other (average-poor) people, given the high prices.
Personally, I wouldn't mind others benefiting from this.

#5 February 14 2018

potato

Nope the person who is benefiting extra $5 in order to activate it on your mobile is not necessary working in university at all. It could be either this person found a bug in activating this offer. It could be someone in contact of both employees at alfa and mtc and hes doing it illegally. Or he's someone whos working in ministry of telecom and can actually do this for you also illegally. Either way ill tell you something to ease it for you
This person will be caught misusing this service.

#6 February 16 2018

NuclearVision

If either operators make the service available for everyone for 17 dollars. Do you think people will subscribe?
It doesn't matter who's getting the 20 dollars a year, in fact it doesn't matter who's offering this workaround, again, because simply there's no better alternative. Now if you tell me average people don't deserve this service for such a price, and thr operating bipoly shall continue to suck their money⁦, that's another story.

#7 February 16 2018

yasamoka

NuclearVision wrote:

If either operators make the service available for everyone for 17 dollars. Do you think people will subscribe?
It doesn't matter who's getting the 20 dollars a year, in fact it doesn't matter who's offering this workaround, again, because simply there's no better alternative. Now if you tell me average people don't deserve this service for such a price, and thr operating bipoly shall continue to suck their money⁦, that's another story.

They are offering a discount for students. You want to complain about pricing, fine. You can complain about pricing. Maybe even have a petition / survey to prove to them that more subscribers would emerge from price cuts to offset the potential loss per subscriber. But finding a loophole and using it to get a discount as if one is a student is fraudulent behavior that remains unethical no matter how you spin it.

#8 February 16 2018

nuclearcat

+100 to yasamoka
Additionally, if operators will discover and calculate that fraud has enough high impact, they will just cut this plan for students, and those young who are just starting their life and struggling to pay tuition fees and can't earn properly yet will lose way to save money.

#9 February 16 2018

quad

100% with nuclearcat and yasamoka.

By principle, I'm against illegal stuff, and what's getting our country in deep $h*t is this mentality of trying to circumvent rules and regulations...

Plus, as mentioned, Alfa/Touch closely monitor consumption, and if they figure out this "workaround", they will either fix it or (usually they do) just cancel the bundle all together.

So going along with this has one possible outcome:
- Smart@$$es who won't get the bundle for long;
- Possibility of students actually losing the offer.

Can anyone think a little bit and see more than their nose?

#10 February 17 2018

NuclearVision

Discount? 80 dollars worth of services for 15$.
@nuclearcat the young who are technical workers that didn't have the chance to enroll in universities, aren't they struggling to start their lives?
I'm not promoting this kind of workarounds, nor do I need it. I was just simply implying if they don't do something not necessarly equal but lets say a bundle having 50% of the student's bundle. People will seek workarounds and you can't blame them.
@quad deep shit mentality ? yeah thinking of the poor is deep shit. This is not theft, it's not even a robinhood kind of stealing. Is it fraud? yes it the system is being bypassed, unethical? In these cirumstances not imo.
Will they stop it if they figure out the workaround? If they do it'd be unethical and only show how incompetent they are.
Thinking further than one's nose? I think you're the one refusing to do this.

#11 February 17 2018

nuclearcat

NuclearVision wrote:

Discount? 80 dollars worth of services for 15$.
@nuclearcat the young who are technical workers that didn't have the chance to enroll in universities, aren't they struggling to start their lives?
I'm not promoting this kind of workarounds, nor do I need it. I was just simply implying if they don't do something not necessarly equal but lets say a bundle having 50% of the student's bundle. People will seek workarounds and you can't blame them.

This is called FRAUD. Period. You might get to jail because of it, in worst case, but in Lebanon most probably they wont sentence you.
Young who decided to take job, instead of education - in better position than those who considered education.
If they are that much poor, that they can't afford education, they should not waste their time in mobile, but keep mobile for bare minimum of necessary services, it is already $10-$15/mo, and try to save money for education. No education - most likely no future.
This is same way thinking i've seen at my homecountry and much more in Lebanon, when poor earn by some luck few hundred of bucks, and instead of putting them aside - waste them on renting fancy car(and frauding some discount, because you know, they are poor, and some people think it gives them green light for fraud) and going to club to catch few cool chicks. Such people dont deserve sympathy, they might be poor, but also they are going to be poor rest of their life, not because of fate, but because they are dumb.
And i know what i am talking about, even i have money, i dont have time to waste it for "$80 worth of services", shit like data heavy apps, as i keep my mobile just for important calls, most of them incoming, and i use internet only at stationary locations, wifi.
At some moment of my life, when i just finished school i had to suspend education, as i didn't had family support at all, no money for mobile, and even sometimes for public transportation (tough times for my country), sometimes i had to walk half night around the bay, tens of kilometers - to reach home.
When you are that much poor - your thoughts is not about entertainment on smartphone and $80 worth _optional_ services.
As result, in 1-2 years of hard work without distracting myself on entertainment shit - i earned enough for everything i need, while buddies was still looking to mommy and daddy wallets.

#12 February 17 2018

NuclearVision

this is contradictory. I agree this is fraud as i already said. We have gone way offtopic but to clarify: not everyone decides Not to choose education. We have been in a warzone for the past 40 years, i don't know about your home country, but i know people who work day to day for a living and have responsibilites towards their families. could you tell them in the eye not to use whatsapp and facebook and leave their 'mobile'.
You can't just take your situation and project it on everyone else, it doesn't work like this.
However i do respect what you went through to build your career.
Best regards!

#13 February 17 2018

nuclearcat

NuclearVision wrote:

We have been in a warzone for the past 40 years, i don't know about your home country, but i know people who work day to day for a living and have responsibilites towards their families. could you tell them in the eye not to use whatsapp and facebook and leave their 'mobile'.

I've seen extreme poverty in Lebanon and my country, comparable ones.
I did worse, not only told that in eye, but enforced that, and voted to fire those, who continuously doesn't understand when they need to work, and they prefer to have entertainment at worktime.

Last edited by nuclearcat (February 17 2018)

Board footer