LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 December 11 2017

silo_m8

I've always wanted to write about video games but...

I always felt the Lebanese gamers don't actually care to read anything beyond a review score and most of them don't even care since single player games tend to be pirated most of the time.
Am I the only one that loves to discuss video games beyond the "is it fun?" discussion.
Game design, game direction, narrative and story telling, etc...
Would anyone read?

#2 December 11 2017

LifeEngineer

Re: I've always wanted to write about video games but...

I definitely would.
Game making is an art. It's now one of the best and most rewarding entertainment sector in the world.
People usually fail to notice the huge amount of time, resources, and dedication/hardwork devs put into making a game; even a so-called "bad game".

#3 December 11 2017

silo_m8

LifeEngineer wrote:

I definitely would.
Game making is an art. It's now one of the best and most rewarding entertainment sector in the world.
People usually fail to notice the huge amount of time, resources, and dedication/hardwork devs put into making a game; even a so-called "bad game".

How would that discussion look like? A wall of text post on this forum? A blog with comments?

#4 December 11 2017

jibbo

silo_m8 wrote:

I always felt the Lebanese gamers don't actually care to read anything beyond a review score and most of them don't even care since single player games tend to be pirated most of the time.
Am I the only one that loves to discuss video games beyond the "is it fun?" discussion.
Would anyone read?

You might be interested in the discussions happening on https://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/ , there are usually good quality comments, as compared to /r/gaming/  and /r/games .

Maybe share your ideas there ?

#5 December 11 2017

silo_m8

jibbo wrote:
silo_m8 wrote:

Would anyone read?

You might be interested in the discussions happening on https://www.reddit.com/r/truegaming/ , there are usually good quality comments, as compared to /r/gaming/  and /r/games .

Maybe share your ideas there ?

I already share my ideas with people worldwide. I simply felt the need to know that like-minded Lebanese gamers exist and maybe have some meet up and gatherings and maybe carry the conversation live :)

#6 January 3 2018

mesa177

I would recommend you check out the Lebanese Game Developers FB page and attend their meetups. Sometimes we hold a conjoined workshop with them and Arab Arcade at Lamba Labs to discuss game development. 

You'd definitely have an interested audience there.

#7 January 3 2018

silo_m8

mesa177 wrote:

I would recommend you check out the Lebanese Game Developers FB page and attend their meetups. Sometimes we hold a conjoined workshop with them and Arab Arcade at Lamba Labs to discuss game development. 

You'd definitely have an interested audience there.

I'm looking to discuss from the consumer side. Do you think devs can have objective opinions about mechanics and game systems without affecting their opinions by discussing feasibility, difficulty of implementation, etc?
A consumer does not care how hard a dev worked on a system if the system is unintuitive or just bad. A dev might think about how hard it is and give it a pass. That opinion is not very valuable to a customer who is looking for results.
Dunno if you get what I'm getting at

#8 January 3 2018

vlatkozelka

silo_m8 wrote:

Would anyone read?

Why would you assume that we don't read? I read everything about a game + comments ,etc...

You should come work at my place, 40 nerds on the same table discussing why a certain mechanic is/isn't good

#9 January 3 2018

silo_m8

vlatkozelka wrote:
silo_m8 wrote:

Would anyone read?

Why would you assume that we don't read? I read everything about a game + comments ,etc...

You should come work at my place, 40 nerds on the same table discussing why a certain mechanic is/isn't good

You're making me consider switching jobs ;)

Board footer