LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 22 2017

aboulfouf

New ADSL Modem

Hello I want to change my Cisco Linksys X3000 because I am losing the internet connection occasionally even if it is showing connected on the router page and I have to restart it so I can the internet connection back.
Which modem is most suitable for our connection, I am on Ogero 2 MB unlimited and I use it for PS4 online gaming.
Please give me your advice and experience.
Thank you,

#2 February 22 2017

H.S

Re: New ADSL Modem

Did you try to hard reset and reconfigure the modem?

#3 February 23 2017

ironman

this modem sucks, i do have the same model, and the same issue occurs with me as well

#4 February 23 2017

Georges00

Any TP-Link will work.
I had issues with Linksys aswell.

#5 February 23 2017

aboulfouf

Which TP-Link is the best?

#6 August 31 2017

MrClass

Guys anyone recommend a high end ADSL router that works fine (not Linksys)?

Thanks

#7 August 31 2017

wollyka

I find it that it is better to buy an adsl modem and a separate gaming router. I have the cheap technicolor T582n modem from IDM and I linked it in bridge mode to an Asus AC68U router. This router have multiple bands, support multiple devices without hiccups (12+ devices connected at the same time), QOS , etc..

#8 August 31 2017

TheLebGeek

Check out the TP-Link Archer VR900 it is really good and reviews are wonderful

#9 September 6 2017

shaybuss

I had a technicolor T582n modem for 2 years but it started going bad recently( overheating, randomly restarting throughout the day, etc..) So I got a TP-LINK W8901N and extracted the ppoe username/password from the old modem using the ADSL account recovery tool made by mokhtar.

The tool worked, however, when setting up the new router I put the ppoe username and password correctly but I'm still not getting internet. When setting up the internet on the router there were a whole lot of settings to change but I just used the default and typed in the ppoe details. Anyone can help me with this? I'm with Ogero.

#10 September 6 2017

wollyka

Did you check this thread for TP_Link? (maybe you need to change VPI/VCI)

https://lebgeeks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=12047

#11 September 6 2017

shaybuss

wollyka wrote:

Did you check this thread for TP_Link? (maybe you need to change VPI/VCI)

I tried it with VPI/VCI at 0/35 and it still doesn't work. When I called they said they don't know any other settings other than ppoe username/password and that I should bring my modem to the central. I'm worried that they'll take it and install a basic and barebones firmware like on my last router. It didn't even have features like router stats or QoS.

Last edited by shaybuss (September 6 2017)

#12 September 7 2017

tmash2

-

Last edited by tmash2 (February 21 2021)

#13 September 8 2017

vengeance666

On Ogero is it true that modems are mac binded ? That you can't actually configure a new modem out of the box without taking it to a CO ?

EDIT: Nevermind I figured out what I was doing wrong. Turns out I had duplicate pvcs and the modem for some reason went ape shit. Anyway just set the correct pvc 0/35 and set up your pppoe with bridge interface if available and you are set to go.

Last edited by vengeance666 (September 9 2017)

#14 July 13 2018

new_user

I want to buy a new dsl modem (preferably with no router since I have one already).
Any recommended brands or devices? What are the hardware specs that I should look for? Are there any features that i should look out for? (SNR tweaking maybe?)

#15 July 14 2018

xazbrat

new_user wrote:

I want to buy a new dsl modem (preferably with no router since I have one already).
Any recommended brands or devices? What are the hardware specs that I should look for? Are there any features that i should look out for? (SNR tweaking maybe?)

The answer will depend on where you are, how noisy your lines are, and how likely you are to get upgraded to VDSL or better soon.  In order to have a modem which will allow snr tweaking, you need to find one with a broadcom chipset.  If your line is noisy, for some reason, a lot of people recommend something from asus.

A good solid one pretty futureproof one though is the Archer vr600--it is about $130 here, or if you want one that is serviceable, try the TP-link series 896x or 9980 (difference is 5gh frequency I believe $35 vs $60) . 

Anyhow, good luck.  I am sure others will give opinion on which ones work for them and which ones to avoid.

#16 July 17 2018

new_user

xazbrat wrote:
new_user wrote:

The answer will depend on where you are, how noisy your lines are, and how likely you are to get upgraded to VDSL or better soon.  In order to have a modem which will allow snr tweaking, you need to find one with a broadcom chipset.  If your line is noisy, for some reason, a lot of people recommend something from asus.

A good solid one pretty futureproof one though is the Archer vr600--it is about $130 here, or if you want one that is serviceable, try the TP-link series 896x or 9980 (difference is 5gh frequency I believe $35 vs $60) . 

Anyhow, good luck.  I am sure others will give opinion on which ones work for them and which ones to avoid.

Are all modems with broadcom chipset guaranteed to have snr tweak working? How can I know if the modem I am going to buy has the broadcom chipset? It seems that they do not mention that in the specifications.

#17 July 17 2018

xazbrat

new_user wrote:

Are all modems with broadcom chipset guaranteed to have snr tweak working? How can I know if the modem I am going to buy has the broadcom chipset? It seems that they do not mention that in the specifications.

If you are going to buy it online, do your research and buy the ones with the broadcom chipsets.  If you are going to go in a store and buy one, just look up the specs really quickly on your phone (box usually won't tell you unfortunately).  I think in order to use snr tweaking, it has to be a broadcom chipset, but not all of them have that option explicitly laid out and/or the ISP's  may disable certain functions, but there are utilities out there to help.

SNR Tweaking

#18 July 21 2018

djunited

i need to change my ogero router since i am only getting 7 mbps on open speed plan even though i am less than 800 m from CO. i already applied to vdsl and they said someone will contact me but nothing so far even though i received confirmation that i am eligible for vdsl. i need to buy a modem to use with my current connection which is adsl but also be able to use it for vdsl. is there such amodem?

#19 July 21 2018

Mayyad

djunited wrote:

i need to change my ogero router since i am only getting 7 mbps on open speed plan even though i am less than 800 m from CO. i already applied to vdsl and they said someone will contact me but nothing so far even though i received confirmation that i am eligible for vdsl. i need to buy a modem to use with my current connection which is adsl but also be able to use it for vdsl. is there such amodem?

All vdsl modem are backward compatible, but i think you cannot yet change to vdsl, 7mbps is too low on adsl to change to vdsl, maybe after the cabinet near you is changed to fftc you can then change to vdsl.
I was getting 7 mbps, when they changed to fttc the speed changed to 20 mbps then i changed to vdsl, by the way after fttc change you don't need to apply on ogero to change to vdsl just change the modulation on your router, don't rely on ogero support they know nothing.

#20 July 21 2018

potato

Mayyad wrote:

All vdsl modem are backward compatible, but i think you cannot yet change to vdsl, 7mbps is too low on adsl to change to vdsl, maybe after the cabinet near you is changed to fftc you can then change to vdsl.
I was getting 7 mbps, when they changed to fttc the speed changed to 20 mbps then i changed to vdsl, by the way after fttc change you don't need to apply on ogero to change to vdsl just change the modulation on your router, don't rely on ogero support they know nothing.

He still needs a vdsl account for his pppoe connection.

#21 July 22 2018

Mayyad

potato wrote:
Mayyad wrote:

He still needs a vdsl account for his pppoe connection.

When ogero changed the cabinet to fttc, i thought that i should contact ogero to switch my account to vdsl, which i did and they told that i should apply for vdsl at ogero central, but i was not convinced so i changed the modulation to vdsl on my router and it worked ok.

Board footer