LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 November 18 2016

LifeEngineer

Gaming headset

Hey all.

I have been using my modest Xiaomi Piston 3 earphones to play on my PS4. Of course it plays on stereo well.
It is regarded as one of the best cheap earphones (<30$). I like it, it fits well in my ears.

The question is, what do I benefit by using some affordable gaming headsets? Can I feel some real advantage/advancement?

I'm considering one of these two (since they are available locally without ordering anything from AliExpress):
http://www.macrotronics.net/product_inf … 300-p-9548
http://www.macrotronics.net/product_inf … 500-p-7976

Or from aliexpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SADES-S … 0.0.OQpUq9

I'm open to any other suggestions (local or from china).

#2 November 18 2016

ballad

Re: Gaming headset

get the kingston cloud core from pc&p

#3 November 19 2016

Satfoun
Banned

Yeah i have the Kingston HyperX Cloud 2, got them last year on christmas, and since then i got addicted to using them <3
But i dont know if you can call them cheap, they costed me 100$, there is the newer version, revolver, but i read theyre not as good as mine, and there is the newest cheap ones , the cloud core (51$) or you can get the old cloud 1

#4 November 19 2016

MrClass

I have the revolvers and had the Cloud 1 before. I recommend the Cloud 2.

Confused?

#5 November 19 2016

nosense

cloud core is not as good as the cloud 2 , I own the cloud 2 and tried the cloud core and it sucks compared to mine

#6 November 19 2016

MrClass

I also recommend getting a sound card with a built in amp. it will make your headset sound much much better. my revolver sounded very flat without a decent sound card. Got an Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus, cranked that amp to the max. it sounded 1000x better

#7 November 21 2016

anayman_k7

Get the HyperX Cloud Core, it is on promotion at pcandparts, 43$ before TVA, I got it 1 year ago, absolutely fantastic

#8 November 21 2016

LifeEngineer

Thanks guys for all your replies! Appreciate it! I'll check that HyperX!
@MrClass I'm playing on a ps4, so i don't think getting a sound card and amp is  possible ( i might be wrong though coz everything is possible in this tech world).

#9 November 21 2016

MrClass

LifeEngineer wrote:

Thanks guys for all your replies! Appreciate it! I'll check that HyperX!
@MrClass I'm playing on a ps4, so i don't think getting a sound card and amp is  possible ( i might be wrong though coz everything is possible in this tech world).

You can get an Astro A40 Amp

#10 November 21 2016

xterm

MrClass wrote:

I also recommend getting a sound card with a built in amp. it will make your headset sound much much better. my revolver sounded very flat without a decent sound card. Got an Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus, cranked that amp to the max. it sounded 1000x better

This looks like a beast but quite expensive, is it available in lebanon?

#11 November 21 2016

Satfoun
Banned

I am just using my ASUS mobo soundcard in it, the SupremeFX, and i guess this one is pretty cool too. The diffeerence between a laptop and my PC using those headphones is epic

#12 November 21 2016

anayman_k7

Personally I use the HyperX Cloud Core on my MSI Z97-G45 equipped with Audio Boost (Sound Blaster Cinema) and I'm very satisfied, I mainly plug it directly to the back audio ports of the board to have a filtered signal, I tested the front case ports and a noise can be heard when using it.

#13 November 21 2016

nas93

xterm wrote:
MrClass wrote:

Just so you know a sound card with a built in amp usually spoils your sound. How? Well, most motherboards these days have their audio processors protected by an electromagnetic shield to isolate the audio processor from external electromagnetic fields and you can still here static (Personal experience Z170A M5). The only way you can ensure you are getting the highest quality of audio is to get an external amp (Schiit) they cost a lot less than an overrated soundcard and sound better.

#14 November 22 2016

Satfoun
Banned

Yeah i kind of agree about that static sound, even if it is protected and bla bla bla
Anw the HyperX 2 has its own soundcard too, USB one, never tried it, but i guess it is good

#15 November 22 2016

MrClass

nas93 wrote:
xterm wrote:
MrClass wrote:

Just so you know a sound card with a built in amp usually spoils your sound. How? Well, most motherboards these days have their audio processors protected by an electromagnetic shield to isolate the audio processor from external electromagnetic fields and you can still here static (Personal experience Z170A M5). The only way you can ensure you are getting the highest quality of audio is to get an external amp (Schiit) they cost a lot less than an overrated soundcard and sound better.

Go try the Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus then come back with feedback. I dare say you will not have the same thought above. Onboard sound card are never great. Once you have a dedicated sound card, things will change alot.

#16 November 22 2016

nas93

MrClass wrote:
nas93 wrote:
xterm wrote:

Go try the Asus ROG Xonar Phoebus then come back with feedback. I dare say you will not have the same thought above. Onboard sound card are never great. Once you have a dedicated sound card, things will change alot.

The idea of plugging a card into the motherboard will spoil your audio, it's a fact. I am prejudging on the Asus card because I've never tried it but I can tell that it is geared towards gaming more than regular music. My question to you is have you ever tried an external amp? With some proper headphones?

#17 November 22 2016

MrClass

Yes gaming audio is different than music audio. Any audiophile knows that. An external tube amp is much more decent for sure; though it gets really expensive. The amp itself can cost as much as a decent headset (if not more). Yes I tried the Sennheiser HD800S audiophile headset. It costs 7000AED (around 1900$). You can also get with it the Sennheiser Amp for the same amount. But the super cost is not justifiable.

Here we are talking about gaming equipment not audiophile. it is a different league.

#18 November 24 2016

Die_Kapitan

Just get a decent pair of cans and a ModMic.

Board footer