LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 15 2016

Fischer

Why can't we register .LB domains?

Why we can't register example.lb? Why only example.com.lb etc. I haven't sen any .lb. And are we the only country to have complicated domain name registration regarding its country code?

Last edited by Fischer (October 15 2016)

#2 November 1 2016

samer
Admin

Re: Why can't we register .LB domains?

It was a decision made by the LBDR, which is hosted by AUB. They decided to enforce a second-level hierarchy to the .LB TLD. I don't know why they made that decision. You could try and ask them.

are we the only country to have complicated domain name registration regarding its country code?

No, we aren't. There's a bunch of other ccTLDs that are hard to acquire.

#3 May 2 2019

beezer

I can't believe it's 2019 and we're still dealing with this bureaucracy. I just looked at registering some .com.lb as I've taken on some new projects and the level of stupidity to register a Lebanese tld is utterly ridiculous.

Okay, I understand showing them the company registration/trademark certificate, simple enough.

But then needing to write a letter and get it notarized and certified by the Lebanese Consulate is a joke!

You want to change nameservers? You gotta email them and they suggest doing it in two steps, one nameserver at a time. WHAAAT?!

I'm about to start this process as I have 3 domains to register and will update you on the simplicity/complexity of it all.

Last edited by beezer (May 2 2019)

#4 May 2 2019

Ari

why not using the simple .com instead of self torturing yourself with .lb?

#5 May 2 2019

beezer

The .com is registered already and someone is squatting on the domain and wants a few thousand for it. And I'm hoping that once I figure it all out, it will be easier as the steps will be known.

The first pointless thing that I've come across is that if you registered a trademark in Lebanon, but on the trademark use you don't exclusively specify that you want to use it online or to register a domain name then that trademark certificate is pointless. So for instance I have a trademark certificate that will be used on packaging, soap bars, etc. But don't have that I want to use it online, can't do that. Have to revise the trademark certificate.

On the upside I learned that registering the .com.lb is free or charge (savings of a whopping $9), however you never truly own the domain.

Last edited by beezer (May 2 2019)

#6 May 2 2019

Ari

wtf ! lebanon and its regulations keep shocking me day after day ! good luck man

#7 May 2 2019

samer
Admin

Sorry to hear that beezer. You best bet to avoid the bureaucracy is to have a look at the hundreds of new generic TLDs and hope one of them fits well with your company / products: https://iwantmyname.com/domains/new-gtl … extensions

#8 May 3 2019

beezer

Thanks, but it's gonna have to be .com.lb

After more careful reading, and starting the process to adjust the trademark certificate, I've come across that if your trademark is part of a logo then it's not applicable. So for instance Coca-Cola registers their logo using their special font, that doesn't mean if they apply usage to online media that it will be accepted.

No, they have to create a new trademark written in PLAIN letters. So, not using their font, but registering

cocacola

just like that and then putting the usage for online media to be able to register the domain name.

I wonder the impact this could have on most Lebanese companies here who have registered trademarks but not their name in plain Latin/English letters. I mean one would think that I have my logo registered then I should be covered, but apparently the logo and text are not related. I'm very interested to try and register abcmall, kassatly, and some others. lol. But in the case of kassatly, that is actually a family name and you are not allowed to register family names.

According to domain disputes and registering a domain, this seems interesting.

Domain names are registered on a "first come, first served" basis. It is not the registry duty
or responsibility to screen requested domain names to determine whether the use of a
domain name by an applicant may infringe upon the right(s) of a third party.

The company would have to take you to court and we all know how quick the court process is here.

Last edited by beezer (May 3 2019)

Board footer