LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 1 2016

Makaveli84

Hello World!

Yo, yo, waZZa GeEkS?! LoL/ROFL/LMFAO    ^_^

No, no, I kid with you. I'm new around here, and I promise that I shall abide by the rules, starting with this one:

[[Write your posts in proper English, like in an academic essay. Good: "Are you a geek?" • Bad: "R u a GeEeK?! LOL".]]

Anyway, I'm an old timer geek/programmer. Back in the 2000s, vbscript and VB6 were my goto (Get it? "goto" ;) RAD languages. When I was challenged to register on this site, I was glad to find that vbscript still runs on Windows 10!

LebGeeks.vbs

<< snipped >>

#2 March 1 2016

bermudapineapple

Re: Hello World!

Whalecum. You sound fairly intelligent. I look forward to seeing you around.

Last edited by bermudapineapple (March 1 2016)

#3 March 1 2016

Makaveli84

Thank you tt400. I'm sure I'll be more than whalecum here!

#4 March 2 2016

MAD

welcome to the forums :)

#5 March 2 2016

Joe

Hello and welcome

#6 March 2 2016

Johnaudi

Hello and welcome!

Please delete the post that gives the answer to other users though, copy-pasters are not welcome.
Good solution though.

#7 March 3 2016

rolf

Makaveli84 wrote:

I was glad to find that vbscript still runs on Windows 10!

vbscript. I did some vbscript programming long time ago. I have mixed feelings, hard to express. On one hand, it's a somehow friendly language.
I mean in what language can you write this:

If (i Mod X = 0) Or (i Mod Y = 0) Then

Did you see that? If this or that! And single equal signs! Finally something that makes sense.
Compare that to javascript:

if( i%X == 0 || i%Y == 0) {

On the other hand, I guess there is a reason why we're not all still writing BASIC.
I am happy with my JavaScript. In such cases I'd pop up a console (F12) and do write my little code there. It's very easy to get started on the server side as well, using node.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is welcome here, nice to have you.

BTW I still have a big book from back then, full of examples on how to use Wscript in an "entreprise setting" for doing maintenance (WMI provider) and all kind of similar things. I never read much of it. Do you think anyone would want it?

Last edited by rolf (March 3 2016)

#8 March 3 2016

Makaveli84

Johnaudi wrote:

Hello and welcome!

Thanks.

Johnaudi wrote:

Please delete the post that gives the answer to other users though, copy-pasters are not welcome.

Ahh, right. But how is that a problem when the challenge is a pre-registration one?

Last edited by Makaveli84 (March 3 2016)

#9 March 3 2016

Makaveli84

rolf wrote:

On the other hand, I guess there is a reason why we're not all still writing BASIC.

Well, "BASIC" is just a syntax. There's nothing inherently or intrinsically bad about it. For example, "BASIC" running on the .net platform (i.e. VB.net) is in theory just as powerful as its C# cousin.

rolf wrote:

BTW I still have a big book from back then, full of examples on how to use Wscript in an "entreprise setting" for doing maintenance (WMI provider) and all kind of similar things. I never read much of it. Do you think anyone would want it?

Probably not, for two reasons: It's outdated and in print-form.

#10 March 3 2016

xterm

Welcome!

Makaveli84 wrote:

Ahh, right. But how is that a problem when the challenge is a pre-registration one?

Introduction section is visible to guests. I snipped the solution for you.

#11 March 3 2016

rolf

@xterm just an idea: how about changing the challenge from time to time (or add random variation) then there would not be this problem?
It feels just a little wrong to tell a lebgeeker not to share their code.

Last edited by rolf (March 3 2016)

#12 March 3 2016

Johnaudi

rolf wrote:

@xterm just an idea: how about changing the challenge from time to time (or add random variation) then there would not be this problem?
It feels just a little wrong to tell a lebgeeker not to share their code.

It would be the same process, the registering user will keep on refreshing his page until he gets the question to which the solution is parsed on some thread.

#13 March 3 2016

hussam

I wouldn't have issues with reading things like 'y r u' instead of 'why are you' if I didn't have difficulties processing words written in two ways. It takes me a while to decode 'r' to 'are' or 'u' to 'you'. I have issues reading the word 'colour' too. Maybe I have some weird medical condition.

Also welcome to the forums. Your name is familiar. A Tupac fan?

Last edited by hussam (March 3 2016)

#14 March 3 2016

Makaveli84

I think everyone has an issue with the word "colour", starting with Britons and my browser's spell checker. Give me American English over British English any day!

A Tupac fan indeed, hence the "Makaveli" handle.

#15 March 3 2016

hussam

Nice. I used to listen to his songs in the 90s. I had posters and things. He was one of the best rappers ever. I have barely listened to any music from the 2000s and onward. 90s music was more my taste. The only thing I didn't like about tupac was when he sang with ice-t once. ice-t was making an effort and it was a slow song. tupac kept laughing in the middle of each word and wasn't taking it seriously. it wasn't a very classy move. I mean I still like tupac just as much but that particular moment was somewhat disappointing. But yes, one of the best entertainers in black art history.

Board footer