LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 22 2015

rolf

WebGL library - Four

Hello,

I'd just like to introduce this library, authored by someone I know.

https://github.com/allotrop3/four

I've only recently started to look into WebGL. From what I read, WebGL is not really a 3D API - you have to implement your 3D functions yourself (it won't draw a cube, etc. for you, you have to do it all by yourself). But I see that as a good thing overall, I hope they do not repeat the mistake with HTML and CSS which is to force on the programmer a particular paradigm of layout and a particular way of doing thing, not easily exposing the possibility to impement other layout engine.

If not for 3D WebGL allows developer to access the GPU, but it is still not as performant (substantially) as natively compiled code, so I have some doubts about it's interest.

There is also a shader language  - GLSL - which is a part of WebGL, I understand, but I don't know much about it.

Yet it looks like a nice toy, at the very least, but I'm pretty sure it would be more then that. Trying some demos inside your browser can be pretty convincing, and it does offer a new, more low level / less opinionated way of doing things (it can be even used for doing 2D and layout stuff) so that is interesting.

This somewhat minimal library (four) offers some abstractions. I've just looked at some of the code. Haven't tried it yet.

#2 October 22 2015

rolf

Re: WebGL library - Four

PS: this is a rather new library, so may be a little "rough around the edges"  and not have too many features.
It expect to be included at the end of the body tag. I had a problem when I tried to include it in <head>, like I normally do for libraries.

Board footer