LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 5 2005

samer
Admin

the Lebanese Broadband Battle has begun

the Lebanese Broadband Battle has begun

all the major isps in  Lebanon are now offering broadband.

TerraNet - www.terra.net.lb
Cyberia - www.cyberia.net.lb
IDM - www.idm.net.lb

#2 January 6 2005

abougrej

Re: the Lebanese Broadband Battle has begun

as i said mentioned before in the "Fastest Internet Connection" thread....it's becoming available in Lebanon but in imaginable prices. I actually got the quotations of these providors and u'll be surprised when you find a diffrence of 300$ monthly for same services between two companies it's still unorganized.

#3 January 6 2005

samer
Admin

you can now get 128K for 45$/m.

#4 January 12 2005

abougrej

;) Exactly man but for home use only heheh 
i think internet cost in Lebanon will decrease a lot which might improve our work

#5 January 12 2005

karim soubra

it's about friggin time
hey can i get some info about that 45$ deal

#6 January 14 2005

samer
Admin

check those three sites:

TerraNet - www.terra.net.lb
Cyberia - www.cyberia.net.lb
IDM - www.idm.net.lb

#7 January 28 2005

waleed

well yes i've been told you can get the 128 KB thing for 50$/month + some 70$ for the installtion...
i'm considering getting one by summer,
i'm paying 40$ for an average 7 kb/s DL..and no FTF, nor webcam nor anything enabled !!!

#8 January 28 2005

samer
Admin

I got mine for 44$/m and almost everything is enabled (p2p, webcam, voice conversations, etc.) average 9.56 KBps.

WAN.

#9 January 29 2005

mezin

well my connection is actually pretty good average 18 kbps used to be 23 though with all the p2p and such .. but the big downside is the upload speed EXTREMELY slow

#10 April 20 2005

TSOG

Guys, you'd be surprised to know that there is no such thing as "disabled internet features". You see, what ISPs do, is simply install programs that prevent your computer from working at certain ports, or add forbidden definitions to their routing programs. That is how they think they can nail things. But trust me, if you set your mind to it, you can have ANYTHING enabled. I pay 20$ for internet with nothing as people say. No webcam, no audio, no P2P, no accelerator sessions... And yet, I enjoy those all. Heck, I even have audio conversations to Sweden. Hey, if I could do it, anyone can. One last thing. You CAN boost your download speed, without getting caught. That is why I'm sticking to my 20$ connection while everyone else is switching ISPs. I, don't care. Peace out!

#11 April 20 2005

rolf

cedarcom, a GDS competitor should be offering a wireless broadband in the near future in cooperation with fiberlinks networks internet provider.

And ss TSOG said, you can always get around limitations.

#12 April 20 2005

jayinferno

guyz ? do u have  GDS contacts?

Waleed: eh droureh yetla3 3al janneh mwarram ??  hehe

#13 April 20 2005

samer
Admin

You CAN boost your download speed, without getting caught

what type of connection do you have, and how are you managing to BOOST the DL speed ?

#14 April 20 2005

rolf

"You CAN boost your download speed, without getting caught"

Personally, I use an http-tunnel. some commercial options:
http-tunnel.com 5$/month
socks2http: totalrc.com 10$/month
I use them to get around the GDS traffic shaping system in which non-http traffic is given a low priority. by using the tunnel I give high priority to all my traffic , including p2p, internet radios, etc....
It's a shame I have to use such a trick even though I have a 512 connection. We're in lebanon...
One thing these commercial tunnels do not do is bypass the sessions limitation.
There are some tunnels technologies who can bypass the session limitations (iow they can multiplex), but they does not seem to be available subscriptions services for these, which means you have to set up your own tunneling server outside the ISP firewall, like a dedicated server in the US (100$/month), or maybe have a friend outside lebanon with a good connection install server software on his PC.
Anoyone out there willing to sell me bandwidth on a dedicated server?

That's what I do. I dont know what TSOG does.

#15 April 20 2005

mahdoum

talk about boosting a year old topic

#16 May 19 2005

chammoud

I have ordered a 512k Broadband from idm since April 12. I called and e-mailed idm and get the order confirmation but with no response beyond that. I called GDS and left a message to MR. Mdaower who's supposed to be the Field Director, but he  never cared to returm my message. So much for customer service.

Is there a better service I can get. For God sake it's not like these guys giving me a charity. I am paying them and still can't get what I want. I appreciate any advise of what my other options are.

#17 May 19 2005

mahdoum

That's the problem these days, it's hard to find good customer support anywhere, the only way to get what you want is to shout at them  by getting to talk to a manager or someone. Rolf'll be able to tell u since he has experience with the isp's.

#18 May 19 2005

rolf

I had the same problem. Somehow my father talked his way into getting the installation done within 2 weeks, although we're alone in the building.
Can you PM me your name and the region you live in, and I'll call the guy who installed it for me and ask him if he can do the same favor for you.
If he sais yes I'll give you his number and you can agree with him on the time, etc...

#19 May 22 2005

rolf

Man if you dont want to give your name, just give me the region, he'll be asking that for sure.

Board footer