LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 12 2015

Rodster

Advice on building a website

its been a while since i have been here, i have a bit of a dilemma and need your advice. A professor of mine approached me about building him a website, as he was impressed with my jsp website that i built as a final project( not the professor of that course ). i have few things i want to ask you guys.

1) if you were give then choice between jsp or asp.net to build a website what would you choose.( i have worked with jsp and asp.net for final projects before) advantages and disadvantages of each?

2) would you prefer to use CMS tools like drupal (never tried it but my friend says its super easy) instead of jsp and asp.net ?

3)should i ask for money? if yes how do you add up the costs?

#2 June 12 2015

rtp

Re: Advice on building a website

without any knowledge of the actual project, I would suggest wordpress

#3 June 12 2015

Rodster

ya i still lack the knowledge my self i am going to talk to him in a couple of day, but he did complain that the previous guy who did it in wordpress did an awful job and was looking to move beyond that.

but at least i want to be prepaired when he asks me how i am going to approach this project. i want to make my mind about the basics before i talk to talking to him,

Last edited by Rodster (June 12 2015)

#4 June 12 2015

samer
Admin

Unless you are doing it for course credit you should ask for money, even if the sum is trivial. People don't respect free work.

Moreover, anecdotal evidence shows that customers using a free plan of a startup running on a freemium model tend to be more needy (open more customer support tickets) and act more entitled. They have higher expectations of your product.

As for how much to charge, that depends on how much you can charge.
– How much do you need the project?
– What else is on your plate right now?
– How good is your work? portfolio, years of experience, reputation.
– How frustrated is your client and how serious are they about the project?

There's nothing wrong charging a low amount if you're using this as an excuse to learn wordpress. Just make sure to settle on a number that you are comfortable with.

Good luck.

#5 June 12 2015

rolf

rtp wrote:

Yes Wordpress is the answer for everything even cooking onions.

#6 June 12 2015

rolf

Rodster wrote:

Depends, if you want to offer it for free, then don't ask for money (duh), but otherwise ask to be paid for your time. And some of it upfront too.

#7 June 12 2015

rolf

Rodster wrote:

2) would you prefer to use CMS tools like drupal (never tried it but my friend says its super easy) instead of jsp and asp.net ?

Sorry about the modular replies.
Super easy sounds like an overconfident statement. Maybe if you follow their tutorial yeah it's probably super easy.
Anyway personally, in the real world, I prefer more minimal approaches, and I enjoy working without a framework as well.
Whatever you find suitable.

#8 June 13 2015

rtp

rolf wrote:
rtp wrote:

Yes Wordpress is the answer for everything even cooking onions.

You would be shocked on how well Wordpress can cook onions. You can always invent a knife (first you might need to invent the fire and the steel tho) and cut the onion yourself, or use a machine that does all the work for you, hello Slicer!

On a more serious note, not applied to hypocrites and idiots.  If your teacher just wants a presence online ie: Home; News; Gallery; Contact you are better of with wordpress unless you want to learn then using any other tool should be fine.  I would personally go with ASP.NET MVC since am a .NET guy.

#9 June 13 2015

Rodster

alright thanks for the replies i will update you guys tomorrow when i speak with him and get the full requirements.

#10 June 13 2015

Hybrid

If you're not planning to maintain it forever, don't use Wordpress.
People are always looking for vulnerabilities related to wordpress, its plugins and themes, and most of the time they succeed.

#11 June 15 2015

tbaba

1) if you were give then choice between jsp or asp.net to build a website what would you choose.( i have worked with jsp and asp.net for final projects before) advantages and disadvantages of each?

If I had the choice between ASP.net and JSP, I will definitly go to ASP.net since there is a big market for it with few number of developers comparing to Php developers. Besides, the salaries are 120 to 200% more than the PHP developers, ASP.NET is much more common in business environments, and people who know or even simply have the right buzzword on their CV, will get a pick of many jobs.

It depends on what are you thinking of, but you should know that most of CMS are written in PHP that's what you should take in considerations, at some point you have to learn a third language ;)

"if you're good at something, DONT do it for free" that's the rule that no one follows, it's up to you and your relation with the doctor.
If you want to take money, a simple profile website will cost 500USD to 1500USD based on the complexity of the website, number of pages, development time, etc..

#12 June 15 2015

user

The general rule is "stick to what you know" If you know jsp then do it in jsp. If you are more comfortable with asp, use that.

And I really am not a fan of wordpress. I am convinced that wordpress itself is a virus disguised as a CMS.

#13 June 15 2015

Joe

Several things to check to answer:

• Where will the website be hosted? Does the hosting environment provide Java/.NET?

• Who will administer the website? Does the sysadmin have Java/.NET experience?

• Which one you as a developper feel more comfortable with?

TL;DR: They're both very good and very reliable. Pick the one that the human team is more comfortable with.

I generally believe that using a CMS is highly superior to doing your website from scratch.

That being said, I would only recommend you learned to use a CMS if you're planning on becoming a full time web dev. In the short run, it will set you back and you'll waste time trying to figure out how to do what you need.

TL;DR: On the long term, using a CMS is clearly better. On the short term, it will hold you back a bit.

Samer is spot on.

Board footer