LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 2 2015

A.L

Windows 10

hello everyone,
I've got a notification on my windows 7 saying get windows 10, it is for free, as announced before by microsoft. My question is: is it worth the upgrade from windows 7 to windows 10? and is windows 10 as horrible as windows 8? ( for me windows 8 is horrible)
thanks.

#2 June 2 2015

hassansaleh31

Re: Windows 10

I don't know why everyone think that windows 8 is horrible maybe because you are used to windows 7 but if you use windows 8 for sometime you will also get used to it and it's new features.
It is always good to keep up with new updates because updates are made to make the user more comfortable and have more options.
So for me i always recommend updates on anything (pc mobile phones applications) and have some time to get used to it.

#3 June 2 2015

Freddy98

I think that it will be better than Windows 8 , especially that they got rid of the Metro UI , and resurrected the Start Bar , and added plenty of new nice features ! We can't know for sure if it will be good or bad before testing it , but microsoft is trying to do the same thing that they did with Windows XP and Windows 7 , by making DirectX 12 incompatible with Windows 7 and 8 .

#4 June 2 2015

haidcar

@hassansaleh31 win 8 is horrible to say it nicely.

The OS has split personality disorder, take for example doing a simple task of changing settings in win 8, you will have to juggle Metro UI settings from the right, and control panel.

and the Metro apps, whats up with that. I have been to the store not a single useful app, they all look half baked apps some are simply web view of of sites.

Btw if you plan on buying a 3K or 4K display laptop, forget it. windows scaling is utter garbage UI elements are all over the place, text is blurry mess and the experience is just plain bad ( still not fixed in win 10)

#5 July 29 2015

Tech Guru

Any One has Windows 10 rolling out on his system by the official notification  - I already registered back 1 month ago (Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit User) I am waiting some one who actually used the official role out that is released today , since I have several questions on compatibility / performance / etc.. before I decide to upgrade.

Last edited by Tech Guru (July 29 2015)

#6 July 29 2015

Ramnesia

I currently have a pirated windows 8.1 but I want to buy windows 10 home, any idea how can i get it when it is available  ( not from Microsoft lebanese store), because i think it is gonna be priced here for 273000LL as window 8.1 is priced. US price is 120$

#7 July 29 2015

bogdan22

Ramnesia wrote:

I currently have a pirated windows 8.1 but I want to buy windows 10 home, any idea how can i get it when it is available  ( not from Microsoft lebanese store), because i think it is gonna be priced here for 273000LL as window 8.1 is priced. US price is 120$

Buy it from g2a, its about 30$ and legit. I bought one myself. Or if you are a student you can get it from the direct source with a discount.

#8 July 29 2015

Tech Guru

@Ramnesia

If you poke and prod Amazon a bit, it will reveal its soft underbelly. This is where the Windows 7 and Windows 8 licenses are kept. Amazon offers a confusing range of prices for Windows license keys; presumably relating to the presence of actual Microsoft sanctioned products delivered directly by Amazon, and individual vendors undercutting what now seems quite a large layout for two aging operating systems. There are also a number of “open-box” offers, bringing the price as low as $30 in some cases. Shift to a genuine Windows 8.1 than register for the free upgrade for windows 10 from July 29 2015 to July 29 2016.  Also, you can G2A - One of the largest global marketplaces for marked down Steam-keys is also home to a number of legitimate Windows 8 license keys, covering Standard, Professional, and Enterprise, in both 32 and 64-bit flavors.

#9 July 29 2015

A.L

I think i've got windows 10 downloading in the background, i have a notification that says that windows update is downloading an update and it seems very large since since yesterday it only downloaded 3 %

#10 July 29 2015

Ramnesia

Buying and Updating to Windows 10 from windows 8.1, I am only concerned about hardware changes in my system because I have read  somewhere this would break the license forcing you to buy windows 10 later on ( Not sure).

#11 July 29 2015

nosense

why would you buy it if Microsoft is giving a free upgrade even for pirated windows ?

#12 July 29 2015

Tech Guru

With Windows 10, although nongenuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license. Nongenuine Windows is not published by Microsoft. It is not properly licensed, or supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner. If a device was considered nongenuine or mislicensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered nongenuine or mislicensed after the upgrade.

#13 July 29 2015

nosense

Tech Guru wrote:

With Windows 10, although nongenuine PCs may be able to upgrade to Windows 10, the upgrade will not change the genuine state of the license. Nongenuine Windows is not published by Microsoft. It is not properly licensed, or supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner. If a device was considered nongenuine or mislicensed prior to the upgrade, that device will continue to be considered nongenuine or mislicensed after the upgrade.

So I guess I will update and see what happens, I got the icon but still didn't get a notification that it's ready to download

#14 July 29 2015

Ramnesia

aliessayli2 wrote:

why would you buy it if Microsoft is giving a free upgrade even for pirated windows ?

I am actually gonna update windows 8.1 non genuine to windows 10 on my  laptop as soon as i get home before doing anything to my desktop and see how thing gonna work on this pirated windows.

#15 July 29 2015

Kazouza

A.L wrote:

I think i've got windows 10 downloading in the background, i have a notification that says that windows update is downloading an update and it seems very large since since yesterday it only downloaded 3 %

Any idea how to stop it? Even though it' already at 40%, I seriously don't want to upgrade for now...

#16 July 29 2015

nosense

Ramnesia wrote:
aliessayli2 wrote:

I am actually gonna update windows 8.1 non genuine to windows 10 on my  laptop as soon as i get home before doing anything to my desktop and see how thing gonna work on this pirated windows.

keep us updated

#17 July 29 2015

Ramnesia

Kazouza wrote:
A.L wrote:

Any idea how to stop it? Even though it' already at 40%, I seriously don't want to upgrade for now...

You can keep downloading it and choose not to update.

#18 July 29 2015

Kazouza

Ramnesia wrote:
Kazouza wrote:
A.L wrote:

You can keep downloading it and choose not to update.

Yeah but I've already exceeded my download capacity for this month.
Not to mention the size it's taking from my ssd.

Last edited by Kazouza (July 29 2015)

#19 July 29 2015

Die_Kapitan

Ramnesia wrote:

r/microsoftsoftwareswap is your friend, you can get a Windows key for like 10 bucks.

#20 July 29 2015

Tech Guru

Initial Windows 10 Gaming Review (None Direct X 12 Titles - No Major Titles Yet Released - Expected to start rolling out end of this year):

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/ … rformance/

Certain Bugs here and there , but its a great upgrade. 3GB Compressed & 14-18gig after installation

#21 July 29 2015

Tech Guru

Note to anybody availing of the free update to windows 10, if you cant find the download yet go into search, type cmd, enter wuauclt.exe/updatenow and press enter. This should start the download if you have already reserved your free copy. Also be sure to have updates automatically applied.

#22 July 29 2015

Ramnesia

Ramnesia wrote:

Buying and Updating to Windows 10 from windows 8.1, I am only concerned about hardware changes in my system because I have read  somewhere this would break the license forcing you to buy windows 10 later on ( Not sure).

Found an answer for this Here

#23 July 29 2015

A.L

@ kazouza i didnt try it but maybe if you press the windows logo ( the one that you used to reserve windows 10) if ou open the left menu in there, in the lower left corner there is a view confirmation button click on it then click cancel reservation try it it might work.
if not just google it.
hope i could hel

#24 July 29 2015

bermudapineapple

Is it a good idea to update instantly? Shouldn't you wait around a month or two for Microsoft to iron out all the major bugs and flaws? And also for the third-party developers to adapt their programs and drivers?

#25 July 29 2015

Ahmad Toutounji

anybody reserved and got the upgrade(downloading or so)?

Board footer