LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 1 2015

Freddy98

Comp Sci or Comp Eng

Here is my dilemma : I want to pursue a career in programming , but can't choose between those two majors . I'm in grade 11 , and started programming two years ago . I'm currently working on a game which I'm programming in C++ and DirectX . Everybody from parents to friends and relatives is telling me to go with computer engineering because I will be titled "Engineer" and can enter the syndicate and get a higher paying job . But I don't want want to regret my decision . I know for sure that I love programming ( I spend most of my free time coding ,  didn't mind staying awake till 3 am for a whole week to perfect my SSAO shader , and love reading papers about graphics , AI, pathfinding , collision detection and implement something simpler from the algorithm in my game engine ) , but never worked with hardware to know if I'll like it or not . My cousin in her second year in computer engineering told me that computer engineers code a lot better than comp scientists (thus making the computer science program totally useless...) , and that for my grades (17/20) and passion I should "brainlessly" go for the computer engineering major . If I want to work mainly as a programmer , which of the two majors should I choose ?

#2 June 1 2015

rolf

Re: Comp Sci or Comp Eng

You are best placed to know what is best for you. You will soon be an adult and will be expected to know what is best for you.
Anyway my advice is look beyond that, unless the ambition of your life is to be a registered engineer (that is a respectful goal). But if you want more think further. Maybe one path will allow you to be an engineer but  put you in disadvantage on the work market (that includes the international work market, maybe one day you will have the opportunity to work in another country, what do you think?).
Besides you're going to spend lots of time and effort studying for this so let it be something you want and believe in.

#3 June 1 2015

rolf

Also, the market for programmer is tough out there. Staying up late to program in C++ is a great start but just a step in a long road.
You may know all this. You seem to be off to a good start anyway.
What is 11th grade BTW? In my school it was 5eme, 4eme, 3eme, etc.

#4 June 1 2015

Elied

rolf wrote:

What is 11th grade BTW? In my school it was 5eme, 4eme, 3eme, etc.

1ere aka the year before terminal.

@Freddy98 I'm not sure what your cousin is basing her statement on but the general accepted notion is that computer engineering is more Hardware oriented/practical while computer science is more Software oriented/theoretical. You should do more research and ask people who have studied and work in both fields. Do some digging online as well, there are a couple subreddits related to computer science and engineering that I think you might benefit from, ComputerScience for example.

#5 June 1 2015

Joe

Both curriculums will teach you to code, and both will require good programming skills to go through.

I think you should consider which job you want to go for:

• Computer Science is best suited for advanced academic careers. Like any other academic field, expect a lot of emphasis on other sciences (discreet maths mainly), a lot of writing, technical papers etc. This is also a great path if you consider going towards a PhD at some point.

• Computer Engineering is more geared towards the industry. Like other engineering fields, you will learn to manage time, budgets, technical descriptions of your products, and general project management skills. It's a great path if you consider going towards managerial positions later.

If I had to synthesize, I'd say that scientists will look for the absolute best way to solve a problem, while engineers will look for the best way to do it under constraints of time and budget (and a shit ton of other constraints). Of course the distinction is not so black and white. You can very easily start in one path and have the other's career. It's really up to you, and if you enjoy coding you'll be happy doing both.

#6 June 2 2015

Freddy98

Thanks for your replies ! I have made and I'm making a lot of research about the subject , and seem to be leaned more towards computer science . The only thing that bothers me is getting into the syndicate . And I have read that here in Lebanon recruiters prefer and pay engineers better for the same position ( don't know how much this is true ) . Once somebody told me that even the " mini market man " has a computer science degree ... I'm bothered about how everybody here sees computer scientists as nothing because they are not titled "engineers" . Well , I still have a year to make my choice , and thanks for your feedback !

#7 June 4 2015

anonymous

I'm still worried and concerned about my future. Wetnher to choose computer science or emgineer and I'm literally at the edge. Now I'm a senior and the university will start in about 4 months. Still not sure about what domain to choose and this thing that here in Lebanon, engineers are considered better than scientists and more preferred (although I disagree with such system) but you can always study, for example you study CS for 3 years, then when you're done you can start studying another major and CCE is the closest major, based on my information,  to CS. you're still young and life is still long infront of you, even if it took time , but dreaming and aiming goals is the solution for everything.

#8 June 5 2015

NuclearVision

As a computer engineer you will get to enter the syndicat.
As a computer engineer, you would probably find more rewarding jobs.
You also are an engineer.
I am not a computing student however most of the ones I know nag about their jobs.

In fact, you could find many topics about it here on the forum.
If you choose either of those, You might not like your very first job, i suggest you look for people who are working in the field instead of people studying these majors.
Based on personal experience, you don't need to pick a career based on your hobbies, you could always code parallel to your job, make sure it does not affect you, as careers are permanent, hobbies are not.

#9 June 6 2015

Freddy98

Which one has better job opportunities in Lebanon ?

#10 June 7 2015

rolf

NuclearVision wrote:

Based on personal experience, you don't need to pick a career based on your hobbies, you could always code parallel to your job

In theory, yes.
In practice, if you want to pay the rent and have a life on top, you will have to have lots of dedication to your work.
That will not leave much time for your "hobbies" and you will most probably not reach a satisfatory level in these, if you hobby is something like C++, 3D or other advanced programming.

Of course some people manage to do a lot during their free time. Freddy98 is actually the example of that, he stayed up late to work on his code, etc.

My personal experience is different. I did start coding like this, as a way to pass time, a hobby if you want. Now I do it because it helps in paying the rent and expenses, and I do of course derive some satisfaction from it. I have some personal projects that I want to work on but never find the time to work on them.

It surely is possible to do it in parallel, but in the long run? Think of it.
If you really care about something don't just make a hobby out of it.

#11 June 8 2015

ali.ba

If you're into software and web development, then go for computer science, why? because it takes less years and its mainly focused on software and web, but never ever think that what you take at university is enough, its never enough, its just the basics, you must use your time during summer to learn new programming languages and develop some software and web apps on your own.

If you're into networking, telecommunication, or hardware, then go for engineering, it takes more time but it allows you to work on the previously 3 mentioned fields, plus you get the chance to join the syndicate of engineers in Lebanon = first class insurance. It's also good for continuing your education outside Lebanon.

#12 June 9 2015

rolf

rolf wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

Based on personal experience, you don't need to pick a career based on your hobbies, you could always code parallel to your job

In theory, yes.
In practice, if you want to pay the rent and have a life on top, you will have to have lots of dedication to your work.
That will not leave much time for your "hobbies" and you will most probably not reach a satisfatory level in these, if you hobby is something like C++, 3D or other advanced programming.

Of course some people manage to do a lot during their free time. Freddy98 is actually the example of that, he stayed up late to work on his code, etc.

My personal experience is different. I did start coding like this, as a way to pass time, a hobby if you want. Now I do it because it helps in paying the rent and expenses, and I do of course derive some satisfaction from it. I have some personal projects that I want to work on but never find the time to work on them.

It surely is possible to do it in parallel, but in the long run? Think of it.
If you really care about something don't just make a hobby out of it.

I want to comment on that. My opinion changed.
I am thinking working with computers was like a hobby to me, but now that I'm forced to it's not the same.
Maybe what is a hobby should stay a hobby.

And I do see people who work and still have time for a hobby. But those who work a full time job and get paid well, I guess they don't have the much time. But you can still find time, like on weekends.

Now again, like I said, 3d shaders is a bit advanced and time consuming too.

I guess both points of views are valid.

Last edited by rolf (June 9 2015)

#13 July 4 2015

Tech Guru

From Experience  @Freddy98

- Go for Computer Science (I finished at LAU and chose your electives wisely (OLAP Tools / Advance Data Bases /Artificial Intelligence / Neural Networks / OOP /  Networking / Computer Organization / File Processing = the Last Three will give you a Hardware Overview in addition to an Assembly Language course will not hurt.

After you finish work for 2-3 years in the domain for practical experience then go for: 

-Then Go for Some Professional Certifications such as:
Computer Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
Information Technology Infrastructure Library v3
Microsoft Operations Framework 4.0
Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer (MCSD)
Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE)
Oracle PL/SQL Developer Certified Associates

After you fulfill your CV for BSc Computer Science  + Some Professional Certifications + Couple of Years of Experience you will be ready to apply for MS for example or Oracle  --- At this journey you can attain an MBA for gain some management aspects and you will a cross functional (IT + Management) potential CTO / Director / Consultant  in some big companies not necessarily IT  bounded rather consultancy to such as McKinsey , Strategy& (Formerly Booz & Company but PWC Purchased), Bain & Company etc...

titled "Engineer" and can enter the syndicate is not a norm to get paid in the Telecom/Engineering Industry ;
I know my friends who followed that approach with a BSc in Computer Science as a Start  & now getting paid USD 8000/ Month at Microsoft/Oracle; you may have a look at their LinkedIn profiles to have an overview about their educational/career history & progress.

https://ae.linkedin.com/pub/rola-khoury/53/639/8ab
https://ae.linkedin.com/pub/kareem-okeili/14/533/27a
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/mazen-abdallah/18/302/5b2
https://lb.linkedin.com/pub/ihab-issa-m … 81/1b8/445 (My Profile)

Last edited by Tech Guru (July 4 2015)

#14 July 8 2015

NuclearVision

@rolf i don't want to quote and have a full page of quotes.
But your last post is really honest and original.
Kudos.

Board footer