LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 23 2015

scorz

Debian/Ubuntu bugs

I have been a slackware user for a long time. Although, I decided a couple of days ago to test debian(8) (64-Bit) and ubuntu(14) distro (64-Bit).
I encountered a kinda severe problem with networking on both distro: VERY HIGH latency on LAN.
I can't remember the exact number of the ping reply but I am sure it was way above 1k ms!

(Routers configuration pages / web-server / sshd...etc took several minutes to load/connect -still in LAN-)

And of course, don't ask about Internet connectivity. Google.com took exactly about 10minutes to load.

Anyway, I have googled the issues and found lots of solutions but none of them worked for me.

What I did:
1- Disabling ipv6. (Using "ignore" from the network manager and then disabling it in kernel).
2- Tried patching/fixing the avahi-daemon bugs .
3- Tried different network interfaces, wired and wireless.
4- Tried different router/ap.
5- Tried different cables.
6- Re-installing drivers.
7- I can't remember what else...

I am pretty sure the secret is somewhere on the system since ubuntu is based on debian.
So my question is: Has as anyone run into the same problem?

#2 May 23 2015

rolf

Re: Debian/Ubuntu bugs

No.

Ubuntu is pretty buggy, and I was hoping to discuss this. Linux also seems kinda bloated.
Anyway it does work somehow and is an interesting OS.

Regarding your pesky little problem, I shall employ my awesome technical prowess and precious time to help you, mortal.

Is this problem causing any noticeable cpu increase? (top)
You're not running Linux in a VM are you?
This might have something to do with the drivers.
I've never experienced such stuff with Ubuntu. The trouble I usually experience are usually with my X session not initializing. I mess around quite a bit with the different display managers, etc. and sometimes updates seem to break things.
But the network stack works well.

PS: Have you checked Dmesg? I am guessing something is going wrong in the driver and is greatly delaying the packets.
Have you tried checked that any firewall is disabled (iptables)? Packet scheduling too? (tc)

Last edited by rolf (May 23 2015)

#3 May 24 2015

scorz

Hey,
First of all I owe you an apology for wasting your precious time
I didn't mention that in fact I removed the two distro and re-used slackware. I have posted this just to see if it happened with someone else

Anyway, no I ain't running VM and nothing was wrong with the drivers. Nothing shown on dmesg, no error loading module, no kernel message bla bla.. And like I have mentioned on the first post I tried several network adapters and even downgraded Kernel's version...
Maybe it was something wrong because of the 64-Bit?

I am running slackware 14.1 now and everything is working like a charm...
Had some problems with nvidia drivers, turned out I had to disable nouveau kernel driver.

#4 May 24 2015

rolf

That's very strange.
I dual boot with Windows 7 and Xubuntu (latest - amd64), but I don't use the ethernet adapter, I only use wifi, so I don't even know if I have this problem.
I find Ubuntu to be too distracting (and that's when it doesn't fall apart).

Last edited by rolf (May 24 2015)

#5 May 24 2015

scorz

rolf wrote:

That's very strange.
I dual boot with Windows 7 and Xubuntu (latest - amd64), but I don't use the ethernet adapter, I only use wifi, so I don't even know if I have this problem.
I find Ubuntu to be too distracting (and that's when it doesn't fall apart).

Why do you still use it then (if I may ask) ?

The first -and only- version of ubuntu I used was ubuntu 7.
X used to crash all the time and mostly all app also...

IMHO ubuntu just sucks.

#6 May 24 2015

rolf

scorz wrote:

Why do you still use it then (if I may ask) ?

I know my way around it, and know I'm likely to find not too old builds for many packages, and support stuff on the internet.
I tried Mint. Although I like the concept and their wiki is great and useful, I got stuck somewhere while setting up networking and gave up.
There are so many distributions, it's mind numbing.
Besides Ubuntu is not that bad. The innovation is also interesting.

#7 May 25 2015

scorz

@rolf I see. And yeah you're right its innovation is nice.
And it's like a "modern-OS", it's spreading everywhere: pc, servers, mobile, tabs.. It's more user friendly also than any other distro.
I remember i installed it one time on  the Nokia n900 (for fun's sakes).
It just lack a bit of stability, and since one of the reasons I migrated to Linux is stability(BSOD gave me cancer  ) I quoted before " ubuntu just sucks "

#8 May 25 2015

rolf

scorz wrote:

It just lack a bit of stability, and since one of the reasons I migrated to Linux is stability(BSOD gave me cancer  ) I quoted before " ubuntu just sucks "

I have to restart Ubuntu after an update. But to be fair not as often as Windows.
BSOD is a thing of the past I think. I haven't seen one in years.
The reputation of Windows not being stable are leftovers from Windows 98 and co, IMO.
Of course an OS can only be as stable as the underlying hardware and drivers.

Last edited by rolf (May 25 2015)

#9 February 9 2016

MrElie

In my opinion the default network interfaces are not always properly configured by default OS installation.
That happened to me many times.

What i suggest, is you either check the lO interface and the eth0 interface and reconfigure accordingly ( 99% sure this should solve the issue )

or you can go for a simpler solution as trying to find a different iso with minimal setup and configure the network interfaces.

I would've asked you to echo your network interfaces but apparently you removed it.

If you ever need help again you can shoot me a PM and I will gladly assist you.

Last edited by MrElie (February 9 2016)

#10 February 9 2016

scorz

@MrElie
It was a bug with debian. I can't remember what I was exactly but I guess It was solved.
Anyway I use slackware but like I've mentioned in my first post I was just testing it.

Board footer