LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 7 2015

A.L

raspBMC or raspbian

Hello everyone,
I want to play a video in an infinite loop, on a big screen TV (kind of a public presentation), the laptop that I've been using broke and I thought what's better than a small sheap raspberry pi.
I've been looking online to know what operating system is best suited for my usage and I'm leaning toward the raspbian.
What do you think?
Note: the infinite loop is very important. I need it to be user friendly since I'm going to set it up and teach someone who doesn't know much about computers to turn it on and off.
Thanks in advanced.

#2 March 7 2015

Johnaudi

Re: raspBMC or raspbian

Raspberri Pi 2 is out and uses Windows 10, easiest OS you can get.
It is like a presentation with PowerPoint? If so, you can set a redirection in the last slide so it goes to the first.

#3 March 7 2015

A.L

i can't get my hands on a pi 2 at the moment, they are all sold out, and the new batch is coming next month, and i'm tight on time. my only option is to buy the B+ from katrangi. it was a powerpoint presentation and then i turned it into a video( i tried connecting a reciever that reads memory sticks before thinking of a raspberry pi).

#4 March 7 2015

Johnaudi

A.L wrote:

i can't get my hands on a pi 2 at the moment, they are all sold out, and the new batch is coming next month, and i'm tight on time. my only option is to buy the B+ from katrangi. it was a powerpoint presentation and then i turned it into a video( i tried connecting a reciever that reads memory sticks before thinking of a raspberry pi).

I'm not sure but if there's a media player on the RP then you can set it to Repeat, which is all you need, correct?

#5 March 7 2015

A.L

yes that is what i need, but i don't think it's as simple as that, if it was that simple i just want the how to from someone with experience in XBMC (for raspBMC or the how to in raspbian) if not, i want to know which is the most efficient way to do so?

#6 March 7 2015

A.L

i've installed raspbian, and looked online on how to play a video in a loop, and the search was a success, but i've encountered a problem.
does anyone of you know how to convert an mp4 video file to .h264?

#7 March 7 2015

Johnaudi

Just needed a quick search: http://www.h264encoder.com/

#8 March 7 2015

venam

--

Last edited by venam (September 9 2016)

#9 March 8 2015

A.L

@Johnaudi i did a more thorough search and h264encoder was one of my first trial but sadly it didn't work,
@venam ffmpeg might work but i don't have time to install it i found a program called yamb it did exactly what i want.
thanks all for your replies.

Board footer