LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 January 3 2015

joem

Antivirus (kaspersky pure vs Eset Smart Security)

Dears,

Which one do you prefer and for what reasons?

PS: I read many online comparatives but I prefer users/technical on hand advice.

Thnx

#2 January 4 2015

Stygmata
Banned

Re: Antivirus (kaspersky pure vs Eset Smart Security)

Forget both ...get bitdefender total security or my favorite comodo internet security complete ( they have a service called GeekBuddy that fixes any problem, security or otherwise, using remote assistance. Also they have  Virus-Free Guarantee money reimbursement if malware gets past Comodo and caused damage or theft related expenses ...I remember they have a great backup utility too )

#3 January 4 2015

Johnaudi

AVG Free is what I use, amazing and free.

#4 January 4 2015

NAM

I know MANY of you will think of the best antivirus out there .. i've been using norton 360 hacked for 3 years and not a single virus affected my PC, a week ago i went with the bit-defender offer "6 months free" but still haven't tested it yet with usbs, and still not a single virus attacked, because i'm a smart internet user even when it comes to cracks and torrents.

There is no "best" antivirus if you don't know how to browse and what to download.

#5 January 4 2015

Stygmata
Banned

NAM wrote:

I know MANY of you will think of the best antivirus out there .. i've been using norton 360 hacked for 3 years and not a single virus affected my PC, a week ago i went with the bit-defender offer "6 months free" but still haven't tested it yet with usbs, and still not a single virus attacked, because i'm a smart internet user even when it comes to cracks and torrents.

There is no "best" antivirus if you don't know how to browse and what to download.

I never used an anti-virus and all is good

#6 January 4 2015

AvoK95

There is no best Anti-Virus or best Anti anything. You are never protected 100%. To have maximum protection, you need to have your Windows and software up-to-date, and an Anti-Virus (Like AVG Free) and an Anti-Malware and spyware (Like Malwarebytes)
Pirated software can make your PC very vulnerable, because you wouldn't have any updates + the crack would make it just as vulnerable as well. That's why half of the PCs in Lebanon are infected.

Back to the topic.

I never recommend buying security software. Especially when they're a full suit. Because Kaspersky might be good as an Anti-Virus, but it might suck as an Anti-Malware/Spyware or firewall (This is just an example)

To compare such software , all you need to do is just look at their virus detection rates. Whichever is higher, is better. Free security software is more than enough for most people.

To have proper security you need to:
- Buy your software and keep it up to date.
- Keep Windows up-to-date.
- Don't use pirated software.
- Don't click on ads that seem too good to be true.
- Use free security software.

Also, this topic already exists: https://lebgeeks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=13899

Last edited by AvoK95 (January 4 2015)

#7 January 4 2015

joem

Dears,

I thank you all for your input which I do understand and agree; there is no 100% safety with any known antivirus
I went for some antivirus comparative both in the American and French world (I lived years in France);
It seems that Trend Micro, Bitdefender and kaspersky beats them all.

Now, my personal experience goes like this:
'Client1: PC couldn't log to ebanking; tried different antivirus, including nod2, still couldn't log in; tried Kaskpesky, found one threat, remove it then PC logged to ebanking.
'Client2,3,4: PC with kaspersky found a threat; couldn't remove it; installed nod32, threat found and removed. this happened in 3 different cases with em
'Client5, PC with nod32, got infected from a usb memory, nod32 did not find any threat, kaspersky found it and removed it.

Now, the issue that in Lebanon, people tend to care to have a 'known antivirus' (part of our famous-to-be culture) that's why I tend to go for Kaspersky if client accept to pay; If not, I go for Eset.

#8 January 4 2015

geekevo

Well I was dealing with an autorun worm yesterday, was a bit lazy so i loaded up nod which didn't find anything . Kaspersky caught the vbs script the worm was executing but didn't get the worm. Ended up removing the worm manually and deleting all the scripts i could find. Then I let kaspersky handle all the rest. Was really disappointed with nod.

#9 January 4 2015

AvoK95

What I do with my clients is, I just take out their drive, stick it in my PC, scan it manually, and delete the viruses, then plug it back to their PC and run repair commands like SFC, then chkdsk

#10 February 14 2015

Alloushi

I'll tell you my honest review,
I have used both in the past and before we say the Best anti-virus let's get into facts and such, when new encrypted virus get spread on the internet and gets analyzed and sent to AV companies, basically what AV companies do is pay to get these samples and from my own experience ESET was the first to get these samples, those samples are disturbed by Anti-virus scanners such as jotti,virustotal etc.

Nevertheless, Kaspersky don't delay analyzing virus that much BUT in my opinion Kaspersky has a strong runtime and scantime and keep analyzing what's happening on your computer better than ESET.

Board footer