LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 13 2014

rolf

Pair work

Hello,

I'm a freelancer and I'd like to try the practice of "pair programming". Basically, just be two working on the project instead of one person.
What I think would be a good model is you (my potential pair) work with me on my project for one hour, then I work for one hour with you on your project.

I'm not in Lebanon so it would be online with a real-time collaborative editing platform ( like codiad or something based on etherpad ) and skype or something to that purpose.

Of course if we're in the same city then meeting is an option as well.

There are many advantages to working in pair, but it has to be with well-matched individuals.

This thread serves both the purpose of finding potential pairs and discussing the topic, especially from a freelancer's perspective.

Last edited by rolf (September 13 2014)

#2 September 13 2014

Joe

Re: Pair work

For the record, Pair Programming refers to a specific way of working in pairs. It involves 2 programmers working on the same lines of code. You could read up on it if that's what interests you.

Another cool way of working in pair is having one person writing tests and the other person writing just enough code to pass these tests, as a binomial TDD process.

If you're thinking about each programmer doing a part of the project, be careful not to step on each other toes. Set up proper interfaces and avoid overlap of work as much as you can. Also, try pairing with someone familiar with domains you may not be very comfortable with (for example, security, multimedia, deployment and system admin, ...).

Good luck :)

#3 September 14 2014

rolf

Re: Pair work

Thanks for the tips. I meant more or less that. What matters to me is to make the writing code process collaborative work, so if not working on the same line of code, at least the same file. I didn't mean distribution of work in the sense where each coder is responsible for different parts of the codebase, although that also has interesting aspects and I'm a little flexible. My current projects are too small to justify such delegation, anyway.

Last edited by rolf (September 14 2014)

Board footer