LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#151 July 8 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

Re: Feedback for IDM

it seems that the co can't handle it just like what ogero told me(my line can't handle it) and i needed 6mb speed and i'm only 1km away from the co and i live in ras beirut and my down attenuation is 23db and the up is 11db

#152 July 9 2014

sailor

rtp wrote:
sailor wrote:

did anyone call idm to check if we can submit application to change plans?

yes i called them you can. It will cost you 10,000L.L i think

yeah its correct i submit application for changing my plan from 2mb/40gb to 4mb/25gb
i paid 10,000 and they said next month i will get the new speed
i dont know if they will keep me on the same server after upgrading my speed
because i already fight with before to get real ip and to be on good server
my download is awsome always 250-270kb when using internet download manager

Last edited by sailor (July 9 2014)

#153 July 9 2014

NickTheQuick

sailor wrote:
rtp wrote:
sailor wrote:

did anyone call idm to check if we can submit application to change plans?

yes i called them you can. It will cost you 10,000L.L i think

yeah its correct i submit application for changing my plan from 2mb/40gb to 4mb/25gb
i paid 10,000 and they said next month i will get the new speed
i dont know if they will keep me on the same server after upgrading my speed
because i already fight with before to get real ip and to be on good server
my download is awsome always 250-270kb when using internet download manager

Unlimited plans don't get real IP. Only limited plans. I will have to wait for next month to get mine since I got the 2M unlimited plan automatically this month

#154 July 9 2014

andrew55

Anyone notice a "maximum attainable rate" increase? mine used to be around 10 Mbps and now it is 16 Mbps. Any ideas?

#155 July 9 2014

kfc

IDM's technical support told me today that i won' be getting back my stable and full 2 mbps untill all upgrades are finalized by the end of this month and that barely getting a 1 mbps speed is "normal" for the time being...

#156 July 9 2014

rtp

this FUP is so funny 4Kbps download lol

#157 July 9 2014

ggtks

Hello guys (this is my first post here, I actually signed up just for this thread),

Before the upgrade I was paying 50$ per month to IDM for 2 Mb/s and a total bandwidth limit of 20 GB (traffic up and down) and free bandwidth from 11 PM to 7 AM.

My speed topped around 100 kB/s which I didn't inquire about with IDM.
I downloaded for free between 11 PM and 7 AM, at the same ~100 KB/s speed. I got down to about 2.2 GB per night, which was great.
This netted me about 70 GB free per month, plus the regular 20 GB (effectively less since maybe 1/6th of the 20 is upload).
90 GB of content per month for 50$, pre upgrade.

As soon as the "upgrade" rolled around, I inquired about my speed and haggled it to maybe 200 KB/s, which is closer to 2 Mb/s (which is 256 KB/s). Now, I don't travel much, so 200 KB/s sounds like heaven to me.

The "upgrade" changed my plan to Unlimited with an FUP.

I used about 10 GB of bandwidth so far, and IDM killed my speed. Brought it down to a lovely 25 KB/s.

Now, according to the FUP, IDM plays with your speed when you use more than three times the bandwidth of the average subscriber to the plan you're using. This means the average subscriber to my plan used ~3.3 gigs of bandwidth in these 8 days, so it was about 0.415 GB per day. So that nets me ~12.5 gigs a month at best.

So by going "unlimited" I lost 77.5 GB of my data per month.

But wait, there's more!

IDM offers a 60 gig plan with 6Mb speed for 43$ a month.

So I'm getting a third of the speed and a fifth of the data I can get for less money.

But wait, there's even more!

Still, if I take the above mentioned plan, the unlimited hours at night (11 to 7) are still under an FUP.

/rant

EDIT: Fixed one of the mentioned plan speeds form 8Mb to 6Mb

Last edited by ggtks (July 9 2014)

#158 July 9 2014

nosense

@ggtks it's obvious by now and this happened to everyone on Unlimited plan , switch to limited plan next month and deal with it this month there's nothing you can do

#159 July 9 2014

ggtks

aliessayli2 wrote:

@ggtks it's obvious by now and this happened to everyone on Unlimited plan , switch to limited plan next month and deal with it this month there's nothing you can do

I plan on doing just that. I think I'll also replace the ol' Thomson router IDM makes you pay 50$ for with something that has a bit more control.

#160 July 9 2014

andrew55

I spoke with IDM tech support several times. They kept telling me that FUP only applies to the unlimited plans.. I downloaded 5 GB in one night and i didn't get FUP'ed.

Honestly I prefer Sodetel's approach to the things. Plus they don't have unlimited plans or FUP...

#161 July 9 2014

ggtks

andrew55 wrote:

Honestly I prefer Sodetel's approach to the things. Plus they don't have unlimited plans or FUP...

What is their approach? I hear mixed reviews from Sodetel.

#162 July 9 2014

andrew55

I have no experience with Sodetel but from what i read and hear, they rely on satellite connections hence their high pings. However, they told their subscribers that they won't upgrade speeds before August b/c of the ministry and they didn't offer any unlimited plans where they throttle your speed after downloading 3 GB!

#163 July 10 2014

partam

IDM is down this morning
even their website  is not reachable on 3g

#164 July 10 2014

andrew55

True.. also their tech support...

#165 July 10 2014

H.S

Connection just got back, there was no connection on my PC nor my cell phone, however there was a connection on my PS3, I could sign in to the PSN and browse the internet using it's browser!

#166 July 10 2014

Tikamak

Why don't we all revolt?
The minister thinks the lebanese people are happy with this crappy internet "Upgrade"

Oh how the lebanese fail at everything ...

#167 July 10 2014

sailor

guys i have Technicolor TG582n
it doesnt connect automatic to dsl so each time i reboot or turn it on i have to login and hit connect manual
any idea?

#168 July 11 2014

ggtks

sailor wrote:

it doesnt connect automatic to dsl so each time i reboot or turn it on i have to login and hit connect manual
any idea?

This is the wrong place for your question (probably) but I'll tell you this: The shitty TG582n IDM made me buy stopped working suddenly. I opened it up and it looked like some components got burnt. I'm using the old Thomson ST585 they made me use in 2009 and it's better than the Technicolor.

Mess around in the settings until you find something along the lines of "log in automatically"

#169 July 11 2014

sailor

ggtks wrote:
sailor wrote:

any idea?

This is the wrong place for your question (probably) but I'll tell you this: The shitty TG582n IDM made me buy stopped working suddenly. I opened it up and it looked like some components got burnt. I'm using the old Thomson ST585 they made me use in 2009 and it's better than the Technicolor.

Mess around in the settings until you find something along the lines of "log in automatically"

I reset and it works fine

#170 July 12 2014

anthonyf96

As the new plans came i subscribed to 2mbps unlimited knowing that some fair usage policy will be applied (i read all terms on IDM's site).
I woke up early today and noticed that my download speed dropped to 0.12mbps. I called the support and they informed me that this is due to the fair policy which they applied because i used 1.5 gb per day for 4 days in a row. However here comes the problem:
-The plan 2mbps 45gb costs 19$ which means that its subscribers get to use 1.5gb per day for only 19$.
-They applied the fair policy because i used 1.5gb per day which is allowed for any 45gb subscriber. Plus i m paying 50$ which means i must not only get 1.5gb per day but even 3gb. I called them and told them about this. Their cold reply was that these are the rules and that they can't change anything about it.
WHICH MEANS I M PAYING MORE AND GETTING LESS.

I personally find it unreasonable and unfair.
What do you think?
It's pure Ripoff IDM!!!

#171 July 12 2014

Truepeace

If everything you wrote is correct this means that the 2M45 user has a much better plan than the 2MU user since they are both allowed to have an average of 1.5gb/day with the only difference is that one of them pays 19$ and the other pays 50$ so you are litteraly losing 30$/month
Plus they reduced your speed to 0.12mpbs which is disastrous.
I think an IDM staff should check this...

#172 July 12 2014

andrew55

You're absolutely right. They shouldn't offer those unlimited plans in the first plan. However, this seems to be a good market strategy for them hoping that they will get more E1s in the future to accommodate their new unlimited plans. That hasn't happened yet. So till now they have to set a low limit on unlimited plans because subscribers with limited plans who are the majority are heavily affected. For example, my speed after 11 pm goes below 1 mbps even though i am on the 4M 50 GB plan.

Honestly, I wouldn't tolerate such a speed and i would definitely threaten to leave them if they didn't address the issue.. I am still tolerant of their slow speeds after 11 pm and the only thing holding me back is Ogero's horrible tech support and the 1-2 month delay before subscribing to another ISP!

#173 July 12 2014

anthonyf96

You are right. But i can't switch to other ISPs because i can't stay 2 months without internet. Plus the unlimited plan limits must be reasonable: EIther reduce their price or higher the limits.
I found this in IDM's site :''If an account’s usage exceeds the limits IDM deems fair and reasonable for a residential broadband service during given periods, these limits being THREE TIMES the computed average subscriber consumption for the subscriber’s specific account type''.
If IDM is respecting its own terms it means that the computed average is 500mb which is even less than my old plan usage which was 20gb=666mB/day and less than the 19$plan.
TOTALLY a RIPOFF IDM!

#174 July 12 2014

Truepeace

So if they really followed their terms (the three times thing) you should have got a minimum of 45 gb (the normal user of 2M package) x 3 (the limit of the policy) = 135 gb for the whole month.
Very silly FUP and very useless and nonsensed unlimited plan...

#175 July 12 2014

hussam

The unlimited package is a marketing gimmick. Users want the safety of not reaching their limit even though it is a fake feeling since Internet in Lebanon is still metered.... ISPs use that to sell those packages.

Last edited by hussam (July 12 2014)

Board footer