LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1326 August 31 2018

kfc
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

wollyka wrote:

I already contacted Ogero and they told me VDSL is available in my central (Mazraa) and that they can provide it to me if i switch to them. However, i am on the GDS network and not Ogero. So Ogero told me to ask my ISP about its availability.

call the central not ogero and tell them what IDM are saying

Offline

#1327 September 22 2018

kfc
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

wollyka wrote:

Then good luck :)
No they didn't tell me, however I am getting 14 on adsl

Try the speed test on the Ogero website. They recently updated mine from 7 megabits per second to 20!

https://www.ogero.gov.lb/speedtest.php

Last edited by kfc (September 22 2018)

Offline

#1328 September 22 2018

wollyka
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

The test on Ogero tells you what will be the potentially attainable (25 mbit for me) and not your actually speed.
Still nothing from IDM. Honestly, I am sick waiting for them. I think I will switch to Ogero VDSL.

Offline

#1329 September 23 2018

Aly
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

wollyka wrote:

The test on Ogero tells you what will be the potentially attainable (25 mbit for me) and not your actually speed.
Still nothing from IDM. Honestly, I am sick waiting for them. I think I will switch to Ogero VDSL.

If your area’s central office supports VDSL you shouldn’t think about it twice, it is worth it.

Last edited by Aly (September 23 2018)

Offline

#1330 September 23 2018

wollyka
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

Aly wrote:
wollyka wrote:

The test on Ogero tells you what will be the potentially attainable (25 mbit for me) and not your actually speed.
Still nothing from IDM. Honestly, I am sick waiting for them. I think I will switch to Ogero VDSL.

If your area’s central office supports VDSL you shouldn’t think about it twice, it is worth it.

Yeah, i asked IDM to switch to VDSL and every week they give me a lame excuse why the switch didn't happen yet.

Offline

#1331 September 27 2018

wollyka
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

Finally, i got upgraded after so much hassle
7672322982.png
I am synchronizing now at 26.4 Mbps but if i resync again now i can go up to 30 Mbps (For some reason the SNR margin is better now and the max line rate is around 31 Mbps)

Last edited by wollyka (September 28 2018)

Offline

#1332 September 28 2018

Toufic
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

Location / area ?

wollyka wrote:

Finally, i got upgraded after so much hassle
http://www.speedtest.net/result/7672322982.png
I am sync now at 26.4 Mbps but if i resync again now i can go up to 30 Mbps (For some reason the SNR margin is better now and the max line rate is around 31 Mbps)

Offline

#1333 September 28 2018

wollyka
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

Toufic wrote:

Location / area ?

wollyka wrote:

Finally, i got upgraded after so much hassle
http://www.speedtest.net/result/7672322982.png
I am synchronizing now at 26.4 Mbps but if i resync again now i can go up to 30 Mbps (For some reason the SNR margin is better now and the max line rate is around 31 Mbps)

Mazraa

The speeds vary during the day depending on the SNR Margin. I am still now at 26.4 Mbps but the SNR dropped to 5.8 (but the rate is till holding , no disconnections or abnormal errors) and my max line rate is now at 22 Mbps. So if the electricity is cut off or i resync the modem now, my speed will be around 22 Mbps.

Offline

#1334 September 28 2018

kfc
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

wollyka wrote:

Finally, i got upgraded after so much hassle
http://www.speedtest.net/result/7672322982.png
I am synchronizing now at 26.4 Mbps but if i resync again now i can go up to 30 Mbps (For some reason the SNR margin is better now and the max line rate is around 31 Mbps)

How far are you from the exchange?

Offline

#1335 September 28 2018

wollyka
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

kfc wrote:
wollyka wrote:

Finally, i got upgraded after so much hassle
http://www.speedtest.net/result/7672322982.png
I am synchronizing now at 26.4 Mbps but if i resync again now i can go up to 30 Mbps (For some reason the SNR margin is better now and the max line rate is around 31 Mbps)

How far are you from the exchange?

Maybe around 700 to 800 m

Last edited by wollyka (September 28 2018)

Offline

#1336 December 15 2018

infiniteloop
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

Let me get things straight, unlimited night is 24$ + 11% + monthly plan??
It's waaaay too much then specially that it's from midnight till 7am instead of 11pm to 7am like adsl (4$)

Offline

#1337 December 29 2018

random_name
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

Hey, has anyone else faced slowdowns since thursday evening's "storm"? Im connected to choueifat's exchange and the snr dropped from 12 to 6, speed from 5 to 2 mbps and max rate from 9 mbps to 3mbps

Offline

#1338 December 29 2018

anayman_k7
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

I didn't face a drop down on the level of the SNR, but I noticed that the real internet test (fast.com) was worst than before

Offline

#1339 December 29 2018

wollyka
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

Yep, real speed is down. Steam downloads are very slow and some sites are not loading

Offline

#1340 December 30 2018

wollyka
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

Any anybody at IDM see if steam downloads are throttled after 11 pm? they are down to less than 1 Kb/s!!! During the day, the speed is fine and well above 2 MB/s, it is only at night that it happens!

Offline

#1341 December 30 2018

Hitman6267
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

I'm with IDM and on the Mazraa exchange.

(1) Is VDSL a guaranteed performance upgrade? The internet is always spotty.

(2) How can I diagnose whether an issue with the modem is degrading performance? Sometimes when the internet is bad, a modem restart fixes the issue.

(3) Anyone regularly Skypes with the states and can give feedback on quality? The quality is bad most of the time.

Offline

#1342 December 30 2018

wollyka
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

Hitman6267 wrote:

I'm with IDM and on the Mazraa exchange.

(1) Is VDSL a guaranteed performance upgrade? The internet is always spotty.

(2) How can I diagnose whether an issue with the modem is degrading performance? Sometimes when the internet is bad, a modem restart fixes the issue.

(3) Anyone regularly Skypes with the states and can give feedback on quality? The quality is bad most of the time.

1) yes but the upgrade depends on several variables. My speed varies between 22 Mbps during the day to 30 Mbps at night.

2)Use another modem if you have access to one.

3)I don't Skype with US so no feedback here, but skyping is fine here (Mazraa exchange too)

Offline

#1343 December 30 2018

Hitman6267
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

Anyone can provide me with a google maps with the location of the Mazraa central? I actually don't know where it is, and would like to check if I'm close enough for VDSL.

I'm assuming the process to switch from ADSL to VDSL incurs costs. How fast are they deploying fiber in Beirut? Wondering if I should wait.

I went on the speedtest page of Ogero, and inputted my number. It says I can get 19mbit. On what kind of service is that? Because we're for sure not getting that with IDM at the moment.

Offline

#1344 December 30 2018

wollyka
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

Hitman6267 wrote:

Anyone can provide me with a google maps with the location of the Mazraa central? I actually don't know where it is, and would like to check if I'm close enough for VDSL.

I'm assuming the process to switch from ADSL to VDSL incurs costs. How fast are they deploying fiber in Beirut? Wondering if I should wait.

I went on the speedtest page of Ogero, and inputted my number. It says I can get 19mbit. On what kind of service is that? Because we're for sure not getting that with IDM at the moment.

Mazraa Central (same building as Libanpost)
https://goo.gl/maps/k9hfPBX3q3u

When you request VDSL, they will do a feasibility test to see if it is doable. You don't anything,  only the price of a new modem.

It will take some time to process, they made me wait around 2 months.

Fiber should be in Mazraa in Q2 2019, but i don't think that it will be available before the end of 2019

19mbit should be the speed that you get  with VDSL. I got 25mbit and that is the speed that i get on average with VDSL

Offline

#1345 January 3

Toufic
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

Received a phone call from IDM after applying for fiber on their website again.

I live in hamra and i was told to fill a forum application and they would come and collect it for free with a down payment of 40$ out of 200$

2 month ETA for installation of fiber where i live.

Took the plan with 300GB (no unlimited or parental control)

Do you think it's enough ? i'm a heavy streamer and i couldn't find anything online related to consumption on ADSL vs consumption on fiber.

Offline

#1346 January 3

nosense
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

Toufic wrote:

Received a phone call from IDM after applying for fiber on their website again.

I live in hamra and i was told to fill a forum application and they would come and collect it for free with a down payment of 40$ out of 200$

2 month ETA for installation of fiber where i live.

Took the plan with 300GB (no unlimited or parental control)

Do you think it's enough ? i'm a heavy streamer and i couldn't find anything online related to consumption on ADSL vs consumption on fiber.

300 gb is no way near enough for a heavy user on fiber

Offline

#1347 January 3

Toufic
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

aliessayli2 wrote:
Toufic wrote:

Received a phone call from IDM after applying for fiber on their website again.

I live in hamra and i was told to fill a forum application and they would come and collect it for free with a down payment of 40$ out of 200$

2 month ETA for installation of fiber where i live.

Took the plan with 300GB (no unlimited or parental control)

Do you think it's enough ? i'm a heavy streamer and i couldn't find anything online related to consumption on ADSL vs consumption on fiber.

300 gb is no way near enough for a heavy user on fiber

Do you have any kind of link that could help me calculate an estimate ?

I do a lot of downloading and streaming.

The fiber unlimited night quota is for 24$ from 12:00 till 7:00 compared to 4$ on ADSL from 11:00 to 7:00.

And you can't even get that for the lower plans (only eligible for 300Gb + plans)

Offline

#1348 January 4

xazbrat
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

Toufic wrote:
aliessayli2 wrote:
Toufic wrote:

Received a phone call from IDM after applying for fiber on their website again.

I live in hamra and i was told to fill a forum application and they would come and collect it for free with a down payment of 40$ out of 200$

2 month ETA for installation of fiber where i live.

Took the plan with 300GB (no unlimited or parental control)

Do you think it's enough ? i'm a heavy streamer and i couldn't find anything online related to consumption on ADSL vs consumption on fiber.

300 gb is no way near enough for a heavy user on fiber

Do you have any kind of link that could help me calculate an estimate ?

I do a lot of downloading and streaming.

The fiber unlimited night quota is for 24$ from 12:00 till 7:00 compared to 4$ on ADSL from 11:00 to 7:00.

And you can't even get that for the lower plans (only eligible for 300Gb + plans)

I have 2 mb unlimited and use 300-350 gig a month and do a lot of streaming too, and have it set to the lowest quality so I minimize any buffering.  I suppose you could pay the extra $24 per month and do lots of your downloading then, and it might work out.  Just remember, if you get close to your cap, you will blow through it, not inch towards it.  That's the good and scary thing about VDSL.

Anyhow, am jealous nonetheless.

Offline

#1349 January 5

wollyka
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

Toufic wrote:

Received a phone call from IDM after applying for fiber on their website again.

I live in hamra and i was told to fill a forum application and they would come and collect it for free with a down payment of 40$ out of 200$

2 month ETA for installation of fiber where i live.

Took the plan with 300GB (no unlimited or parental control)

Do you think it's enough ? i'm a heavy streamer and i couldn't find anything online related to consumption on ADSL vs consumption on fiber.

It won't be enough. I have VDSL (not fiber) with speeds around 25 Mbps and in my house, we consume around 200 GB without counting the unlimited night. So i am guessing that 300 GB on fiber will be barely enough and you have to do a lot of micro-managing.

Offline

#1350 January 6

Tech Guru
Member

Re: Feedback for IDM

I have Fiber Sakiat  Al Janzir ( 200m from Ogero CO)

ISP: IDM

Heavy User too , 300 GB is not enough at all. Switched to 1TB ( 1000 GB Plan) with unlimited nights.

Average Speed ~ 100Mbps

100Mbps = 0.0125 GB/sec

1000 GB/0.0125 = 80000 sec

80000 / 3600 = 22 hours (regular day usage without unlimited nights)  the 1000 GB will be finished on a 100Mbps Speed.

Last edited by Tech Guru (January 6)

Offline

Board footer