LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1276 June 10 2018

wollyka

Re: Feedback for IDM

Yeah getting half speeds now in torrents (like they are throttling them). Http downloads are fine now
Fast.com showing very different results every time. All lower than 15 Mbps (more like 7 Max)

Last edited by wollyka (June 11 2018)

#1277 June 10 2018

wollyka

kareem_nasser wrote:
anayman_k7 wrote:

idm are having troubles since last night, disconnects and very slow internet even that the modem numbers are ok, I called them and they confirmed that and refused to give a timeline for the fix

Have the same issues since yesterday at night. If you check your speed on fast.com it shows 0 Kbps, and might jump to 40 Kbps. Your DSP is GDS? and what is your exchange area?

Today was worst then yesterday for me. I am getting max half my speed in torrents, websites are very slow. Only some http downloads are working fine with full speed.

Last edited by wollyka (June 11 2018)

#1278 June 11 2018

nuclearcat

Today several people told me that IDM is being DDoS'ed.

#1279 June 11 2018

wollyka

nuclearcat wrote:

Today several people told me that IDM is being DDoS'ed.

Inside sources?
Before all this, I think it was Thursday's afternoon, the connection went out for several hours. The modem was not synchronizing and getting PADO timeout errors.
When the connection went back, it was fine at first then the slowness began. It will be fine for some hours and very bad lately.

#1280 June 11 2018

nuclearcat

One of their customers told me, that they admitted that. Also they sent letter to several customers today.

#1281 June 11 2018

wollyka

nuclearcat wrote:

One of their customers told me, that they admitted that. Also they sent letter to several customers today.

Ah ok, thanks for the info.

#1282 June 12 2018

kareem_nasser

An official statement on the website

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT
Beirut, June 11th 2018

Dear Valued Customer,

During the past 4 days, our network experienced a sequence of unusual and extremely large volumetric DDoS attacks. These Cyber-crime activities were originated from thousands of distributed endpoints around the globe, and were targeting the Lebanese infrastructure in general and some of our subnets in specific. As a result your internet connection might have faced intermittent disruptions.

A team of highly qualified security engineers took the necessary measures and actions, with the coordination and assistance of top international security providers, to mitigate the impact of this Cyber-crime activity on our customers. In parallel, a dedicated team of experienced network engineers was continuously adapting the international circuits' usage according to the volume of the attacks.

The above described actions have significantly narrowed the impact of these attacks on your services in a timely and effective manner.

The Ministry of Telecommunication and IDM have notified the relevant authorities that are taking the appropriate actions to address this issue and pursue the matter to the full extent of the law.

We are very sorry for the wide effect caused by these disruptions on your service. Hoping to provide you with the best experience under all circumstances.

We would like to thank you for your usual understanding, and continuous support. IDM will keep providing you with regular updates.

Best Regards,
IDM S.A.L

#1283 June 12 2018

semaan

it's a DDOS on ogero

#1284 June 12 2018

The313

So does this mean it's fixed now? Or that's just an update on what is going on?

#1285 June 12 2018

nuclearcat

It is not about IDM exactly, but about this DDoS headache.
Before Kreydieh i suggested solution that will defend ogero from such issues, at old management they tried to setup, but failed and quickly gave up.
And 1 year ago again, for new management, i thought it is a chance to do things right, and offered help for ogero again and even met with some people there.
Guess what...
Some ogero managers want to buy multimillion appliance, and surprise that is totally useless for this type of attacks (i consulted about details with some tier global operators).
I guess they think, that if state pay this millions, it removes/outsource headache from them and someone outside will do all setup. They are wrong :)
I ran this solution (btw free) for several entities around the world, and even several lebanese ISPs, but without proper Ogero support it is costly for customers in Lebanon.
I dont offer anything anymore, especially for free (as people look to me like to idiot), i just keep supporting my existing customers.

Current situation: I know, that even a skilled kid can shutdown whole internet in whole country. Let's talk now about investments to any sector that need stable and secure telecommunications.

Last edited by nuclearcat (June 12 2018)

#1286 June 12 2018

chosen2k

nuclearcat wrote:

It is not about IDM exactly, but about this DDoS headache.
Before Kreydieh i suggested solution that will defend ogero from such issues, at old management they tried to setup, but failed and quickly gave up.
And 1 year ago again, for new management, i thought it is a chance to do things right, and offered help for ogero again and even met with some people there.
Guess what...
Some ogero managers want to buy multimillion appliance, and surprise that is totally useless for this type of attacks (i consulted about details with some tier global operators).
I guess they think, that if state pay this millions, it removes/outsource headache from them and someone outside will do all setup. They are wrong :)
I ran this solution (btw free) for several entities around the world, and even several lebanese ISPs, but without proper Ogero support it is costly for customers in Lebanon.
I dont offer anything anymore, especially for free (as people look to me like to idiot), i just keep supporting my existing customers.

Current situation: I know, that even a skilled kid can shutdown whole internet in whole country. Let's talk now about investments to any sector that need stable and secure telecommunications.

Did you Tweet Kreydieh? Tweet him tell him that you found a way to shutdown the whole internet in the country and that you know the fix without the need of expensive harware.
Maybe he'll ask you for a demo :)

Last edited by chosen2k (June 12 2018)

#1287 June 12 2018

nuclearcat

Yes, i did talked year ago, he forwarded me for technical person. I talked with that technical person, and seems that guy was not interested at all in quick&free solution.
Just today i talked with new head of department responsible for this, might try my luck again. But honestly, i hope it is not one more wasted day for me.
And, i don't do attacks under any circumstances even for PoC, because it will affect not only ogero infrastructure, but many others, so it is very illegal.

#1288 June 12 2018

Red7

Are we sure it is a DDoS ? How is it that only IDM is affected ?
This seems a bit shady, like someone is hiding a fuckup or ignorance.

Last edited by Red7 (June 12 2018)

#1289 June 12 2018

Azachariou

It's not only IDM, Cyberia posted the same message on their website so it was probably a govt' approved statement with an "INSERT NAME HERE".

#1290 June 12 2018

nosense

Azachariou wrote:

It's not only IDM, Cyberia posted the same message on their website so it was probably a govt' approved statement with an "INSERT NAME HERE".

cyberia and idm are the same company

#1291 June 13 2018

nuclearcat

Yes, i am sure it is DDoS. Fortunately there is again hope, i will meet with Ogero team again and try to explain same idea as before, how this issue can be solved once and forever, and generally improve state of cybersecurity in Lebanon.

#1292 June 13 2018

arzleb

Azachariou wrote:

Cyberia , IDM and GDS are sister companies

#1293 June 13 2018

arzleb

صدر عن هيئة اوجيرو البيان الاتي:

“إثر تعرض الشبكة الهاتفية الثابتة في نقاطهاالرئيسية وبعض النقاط الفرعية، لعملية هجوم، مما يعرف فنيا باسم ddos ما قد يعرض شبكة الانترنت الى اضطرابات متقطعة، اتخذ الفريق الفني التابع للهيئة، إجراءات وتدابير فنية عالية جدا، بمساعدة كبار مزودي الانترنت في العالم للتخفيف من تأثير نشاط الجريمة الالكترونية ومكافحتها على الشبكة ومستخدميها، فضلا عن قيام فريق من مهندسي الشبكات ذوي الخبرةالمميزة بتكييف استخدام الدوائر الدولية وفقا لحجم الهجمات.

ان التدابير المتخذة من الفريق الفني، وبتعليمات من وزارة الاتصالات والرئيس المدير العام لهيئة اوجيرو عماد كريديه، أدت الى تضييق نطاق تأثير هذه الهجمات، في الوقت المناسب على خدمات الانترنت في لبنان”.

#1294 June 14 2018

Red7

Today no problem so far.

Last edited by Red7 (June 14 2018)

#1295 June 15 2018

kareem_nasser

arzleb wrote:
Azachariou wrote:

Cyberia , IDM and GDS are sister companies

As far as i know, IDM bought Cyberia a while ago and thus they are utilizing the GDS network (as in DSP).

#1296 June 18 2018

nuclearcat

Guys, connection was ok over this weekend on IDM?
I have one customer i support connected over IDM, complaining, but i am not sure if it is his issue, or global on IDM.

#1297 June 18 2018

wollyka

nuclearcat wrote:

I have one customer i support connected over IDM, complaining, but i am not sure if it is his issue, or global on IDM.

it was OK.

#1298 June 19 2018

kareem_nasser

nuclearcat wrote:

Normal here.

#1299 June 25 2018

wollyka

IDM is offering VDSL. They contacted me today to see if i am interested and in order t schedule a feasibility test. (I have already done one with ogero)

#1300 July 4 2018

Red7

Anyone else having issues connecting ?

Board footer