LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#451 April 21 2019

Madslm

Re: Shipping from abroad (share your experience)

Tech Guru wrote:
Madslm wrote:

Hi,
Any one else not receiving packages from abroad, a have ordered few items from you about 2 months ago and haven't recieved them yet, knowing items from UK usually arrive in 2 to 4 weeks max.

I am have been ordering from Amazon USA store since two years by using my Shop&Ship account  - Aramex and I am receiving all my goods.

What service are you using mate ?

They usually send them with UK royal mail and delivered by lebanpost

Last edited by Madslm (April 21 2019)

#452 May 24 2019

NuclearVision

Libanpost started using Captcha for Tracking, and tracking apps no longer work, Like if we are 50 millions in Lebanon....

#453 July 16 2019

anayman_k7

ShopAndShip are trying to screw me over in the last order I made, I will try to keep it short, I made 2 orders in the last month, 1 of them was a RAM kit for 75$ from Google Express (seller was BestBuy), the order went all fine as usual, the estimated cost of the order from Customs
was 10$ and total Shipping + Customs = 16$.
The second order story was totally different, I ordered a Ryzen 2600 (139.99$) and 16 RAM Kit (64.99$), unlike all the times I used ShopAndShip I noticed that the 'Cost of Goods' on the order is 204.98$! A very accurate number and not an estimation, the biggest surprise was when the customs requested 50$!!! 40$ customs and 10$ handling, the order category was set to Electronics instead of Computer Accessores/Parts, using the Customs website to calculate the customs on a 320k LBP package (which is the amount stated in Aramex customs details), the result was 24$!

I contacted Aramex about it and the reply was that the order had no invoice with it, hence why Customs has to estimate the value.
Aramex are totally lying, the numbers confirm they know the exact amount of the order, and also the value of requested by the customs is much more than what it should be.

I am still waiting a final response from Aramex, otherwise I am escalating this case to the Consumer Protection.

#454 July 16 2019

kareem_nasser

anayman_k7 wrote:

ShopAndShip are trying to screw me over in the last order I made, I will try to keep it short, I made 2 orders in the last month, 1 of them was a RAM kit for 75$ from Google Express (seller was BestBuy), the order went all fine as usual, the estimated cost of the order from Customs
was 10$ and total Shipping + Customs = 16$.
The second order story was totally different, I ordered a Ryzen 2600 (139.99$) and 16 RAM Kit (64.99$), unlike all the times I used ShopAndShip I noticed that the 'Cost of Goods' on the order is 204.98$! A very accurate number and not an estimation, the biggest surprise was when the customs requested 50$!!! 40$ customs and 10$ handling, the order category was set to Electronics instead of Computer Accessores/Parts, using the Customs website to calculate the customs on a 320k LBP package (which is the amount stated in Aramex customs details), the result was 24$!

I contacted Aramex about it and the reply was that the order had no invoice with it, hence why Customs has to estimate the value.
Aramex are totally lying, the numbers confirm they know the exact amount of the order, and also the value of requested by the customs is much more than what it should be.

I am still waiting a final response from Aramex, otherwise I am escalating this case to the Consumer Protection.

I think your problem is with the Customs and not Aramex, as they are usually not directly involved in the amount of customs to be paid. They only charge you the shipping fees which are usually known the moment the shipment leaves Dubai.

Last edited by kareem_nasser (July 16 2019)

#455 July 16 2019

anayman_k7

kareem_nasser wrote:

I think your problem is with the Customs and not Aramex, as they are usually not directly involved in the amount of customs to be paid. They only charge you the shipping fees which are usually known the moment the shipment leaves Dubai.

Yes but I believe they are the responsible of resolving any issues that is caused by the Customs in this case, they are the party responsible about the package including customs clearance and the fact they used a false argument made the whole situation much more worse

#456 August 9 2019

NuclearVision

what does the followijg message mean?
Record item customs information (Inb) Retention Reason: Item handed over to customs authority for final delivery.

#457 August 9 2019

NuclearVision

I contacted Libanpost and they said i need to go down to customs at the airport.
Don't they usually do the clearance process and I pay due customs in nearest libanpost branch?

#458 August 9 2019

TokMe3HrsToSolveChallenge

NuclearVision wrote:

Record item customs information (Inb) Retention Reason: Item handed over to customs authority for final delivery.

This depends on what you ordered, is it some kind of drone?

#459 August 9 2019

NuclearVision

TokMe3HrsToSolveChallenge wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

Camping stuff: knife, sharpening stone, small military camo pouch..
Am i in trouble?

#460 August 9 2019

NuclearVision wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

Camping stuff: knife, sharpening stone, small military camo pouch..
Am i in trouble?

its probably the knife that made it get stopped, idk if you they will let you take them or no but if you go make sure you take some money with you in case they decide you can't take it they will make you pay a 100,000 lbp fine

#461 August 9 2019

NuclearVision

Did you have a similar experience?

#462 August 12 2019

NuclearVision wrote:

Did you have a similar experience?

nope but that is what I was told

#463 August 12 2019

does anyone know if I use shop & ship or onyourway.io from newegg to buy pc hardware will it be cheaper than buying it from pc and parts?

also does anyone know how to calculate the customs fee if i use shop & ship

Last edited by TokMe3HrsToSolveChallenge (August 12 2019)

#464 August 12 2019

MrClass

does anyone know if I use shop & ship or onyourway.io from newegg to buy pc hardware will it be cheaper than buying it from pc and parts?

also does anyone know how to calculate the customs fee if i use shop & ship

I fly frequently between dubai and beirut. Could get the parts for you (i only ask for a fee if the item is quite heavy or large; that's a favor I do for the Lebgeekers community). List what you need and we'll compare.

Amazon US makes great deals so mostly it's hella worth it to buy online and bring back from dubai to beirut.

#465 August 29 2019

Does anyone buy supplements from bodybuilding.com? if so what shipping company do you use (aramex shop & ship or a forwarding company from the US?). Aprox how much do you pay for customs when you receive the items.

#466 August 29 2019

Aly

Does anyone buy supplements from bodybuilding.com? if so what shipping company do you use (aramex shop & ship or a forwarding company from the US?). Aprox how much do you pay for customs when you receive the items.

I do buy dietary supplements regularly from www.iherb.com, I make sure to pick local post or local post plus as a shipping method, I pay no additional fees (customs or taxes) but the problem with this shipping method is you are limited to 100$ max or (4 lbs weight), so you can buy light weight supplements (Vitamin, BCAA, Creatine, Pre-workout, Omega 3/6/9 etc ...) except the protein jars since they're heavy and exceed the weight limit.
I buy my protein from Lebanon.

#467 August 29 2019

xazbrat

If you know someone coming in from Dubai (many people do), ask them to bring them with you.  The prices are pretty reasonable at https://www.sporter.com/en-ae/ and they can bring it back with them.  They do afaik deliver to Lebanon, but they use DHL so while it may be cheaper than here, wouldn't save you as much.  If you can find something in a pouch like this https://www.sporter.com/en-ae/optimum-g … -100-whey/, would definitely be worth it.

Last edited by xazbrat (August 29 2019)

#468 August 29 2019

xazbrat wrote:

If you know someone coming in from Dubai (many people do), ask them to bring them with you.  The prices are pretty reasonable at https://www.sporter.com/en-ae/ and they can bring it back with them.  They do afaik deliver to Lebanon, but they use DHL so while it may be cheaper than here, wouldn't save you as much.  If you can find something in a pouch like this https://www.sporter.com/en-ae/optimum-g … -100-whey/, would definitely be worth it.

the thing is I wanna get their signature brand which as far as I know is only available at their website so If I use aramex shop and ship will they make me pay a lot of customs or 11% or will it just go through?

#469 August 29 2019

NuclearVision

Libanpost has a free? forwarding service. You pay shipping using usps, if anyone has experience with it please let us know. Link

#470 August 29 2019

AVOlio

NuclearVision wrote:

Libanpost has a free? forwarding service. You pay shipping using usps, if anyone has experience with it please let us know. Link

It's not free.

It looks just like shopandship and borderlinx from Aramex and DHL respectively.
But this one is more like borderlinx since they account for volumetric shipping.

Shopandship only accounts for the weight of the item no matter the dimensions.

#471 August 29 2019

NuclearVision

AVOlio wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

It's not free.

It looks just like shopandship and borderlinx from Aramex and DHL respectively.
But this one is more like borderlinx since they account for volumetric shipping.

Shopandship only accounts for the weight of the item no matter the dimensions.

How is it not free? The dimensions are there to calculate shipping from usa to lebanon which you obviously have to pay and  i don't see any other fees on the website. what am i missing?

#472 August 29 2019

AVOlio

Ah.

You meant a subscription.
Yea the service is free, but obviously you need to pay for the shipping and everything that tags along with it.

But if I were you, I'd subscribe to any of the s&s plans and save a lot since they calculate charges based on weight only and not volumetric weight.

Try doing what happened with me.
I tried to subscribe for the s&s basic plan which was like 40$ lifetime.
I logged in and everything, and reached the checkout page.
But I don't remember what happened, I got busy with something else and didn't actually pay for the subscription.

And what do you know, two days later, they sent me an email with a promotional code to get the subscription for free.

#473 August 29 2019

NuclearVision

thanks for the information

#474 September 21 2019

AVOlio

Well, I just shipped a Gaming monitor from Amazon with ShopandShip Aramex.
On the description page of the item, Amazon claims the shipping weight is 25.3lbs.

But actually, the package left Amazon fulfillment center at 29.9lbs.
When the package arrived in aramex facility in New York, they declared the package weight as 39lbs.

After many emails with their support team, they were able to check the weight of the package when it arrived in Dubai, and they coorected it to its original weight which was about 29.6lbs.

It was a long process, but s&s support was helpful.

I received the package today.
The following is what I paid :

Customs Clearance (as "tasfiyeh") : 110$
Shipping (29.6lbs as a regular s&s user) : 235$
Customs fees / taxes : 187$

Total :   532$

And you know what, I would have be fine with all of those payments.
But as it turns out, the monitor is defective!
So there you go.

I really don't know what I'm supposed to do now.
Whether I should return it and ask for a refund.
Or I should return it and ask for a replacement.
In either case, I'm gonna pay more money.

I will ask Aramex on Monday if they can assist me in any way regarding this.

#475 September 21 2019

new_user

Damn this sucks! It seems shop and ship is very risky. I have no idea what your best option is. It seems all your options are costly.

On a side note, I wonder if shops who sell monitors (like pcandparts for example) would agree to import special requests for their customers. If you offer to pay say 300$ for the service it looks like a win win situation.

Board footer