LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1226 November 4 2018

TechXero

Re: AliExpress in Lebanon

Well all I meant was AliExpress and all the likes have more downsides than upside. It only relies on the buyer if he or she is willing to put up with all the hidden stuff and extra charges. They don't make it easy for us to order online from AliExpress or other here.

And no DOT doesn't do it for free, they do charge I was just pointing out that if one needs something from online there are other means. DOT being one, there are others....

That's all am gonna say on this thread, am outta here....

#1227 November 4 2018

NuclearVision

To be honest, i find aliexpress more reliable than U.S. purchases/or even local, but again these carry different categories of products (quality, prices, nature of products).

IMO if you're willing to wait 4 weeks, aliexpress stuff usually take 2-3 weeks to get here, so why not, you can find some quality products over there, and recently, i'm starting to spot genuine brand products that are not available locally, but it's not unlikely that some are counterfeit. For example, huawei supercharging cable and earphones, the huawei service center said it cost 20$ each and i must preorder it one week before they get it.
I bought these from china 7$ each with coupons, arrived in 20 days, genuine stuff, qr code check.

One last note, i would never spend more than ~150$ online again. I'd rather pay 20%(yes!) more and buy it here.
Why? I bought an iPad from the U.S., package got here empty(got a letter from libanpost/customs as well), I have no garantee that my money will be given back, and worst part, there's nothing to do in case for some reason the platform decides in seller's favor. All in all, online shopping for high value items is not worth the hassle.

#1228 December 21 2018

boudz

i'm planning to buy oneplus 5T from aliexpress a great phone and the price dropped after op6 and 6t release
but the fact that i live in tripoli and have to go like 2 times to beirut to get the phone and register it and pay all the taxes
it seems like a loss for me
can someone tell me if the procedures remain the same?
going to beirut 2 times ? to the airport and to the ministry of telecommunication ?

#1229 December 21 2018

beezer

So first time I order through AE and now I see my item is held by customs and to contact them.

I ordered a WiFi programmable thermostat.

Do any of you think that's an issue or do they just want some money?

Last edited by beezer (December 21 2018)

#1230 December 22 2018

boudz

@beezer it is normal to see from tracking number that it is held by customs
i have ordered many items that showed holded by custom but at last it was delivered to me without contacting anyone
i have micro sd card that is held by customs it is normal in my experience if you havent ordered something suspicious don't worry

#1231 December 23 2018

nefe_lpmk

beezer wrote:

So first time I order through AE and now I see my item is held by customs and to contact them.

I ordered a WiFi programmable thermostat.

Do any of you think that's an issue or do they just want some money?

Normal procedure, you have to wait. Expect a 30-90 days delivery period, worst during holidays.

#1232 January 4 2019

ironman

Hey guys,

Anyone ordered a CPU from AliExpress?
Do we pay customs on arrival?

Thanks

#1233 January 4 2019

anayman_k7

ironman wrote:

Hey guys,

Thanks

I have ordered a xeon from Aliexpress for 30$, didn't pay any taxes

#1234 January 5 2019

wollyka

ironman wrote:

Hey guys,

Thanks

I think if it is less than 200$ and you ship through Aliexpress standard shipping/Libanpost, you won't pay taxes. I just bough an Xiami mi 4 box (around 60$) and no taxes were paid.

#1235 February 3 2019

infiniteloop

12 days and counting with the Lebanese customs for a phone cover!!!
Why on earth they are that slow? They used to take max 48h

#1236 February 3 2019

arached

infiniteloop wrote:

i have an item that sitting there from the first of January. after calling and complaining they told me that they gonna deliver it this week.
and i also have a phone cover that arrived to the Lebanese customs on 21th of January. it just ironing that they both took less time to arrive from china even in the high season!

#1237 February 4 2019

AVOlio

My item is sitting for 10 days now with the customs.

#1238 February 4 2019

chosen2k

I heard somewhere that they did a new procedure at customs for faster triage and faster release of packages. Sounds like its BS from your posts.

#1239 February 4 2019

Draguen

chosen2k wrote:

I heard somewhere that they did a new procedure at customs for faster triage and faster release of packages. Sounds like its BS from your posts.

complete B.S

i've ordered items since November 2018, delivery period jumped to 2 month with at least 2 to 3 weeks between customs and the acknowledgement that the items reached Lebanon.

Customs processing takes between 12 to 17 days for all my items.

#1240 February 4 2019

chosen2k

Damn. When i heard that i started a shopping spree. Now the wait begins

#1241 February 4 2019

infiniteloop

Dunno perhaps they were working only 1/3 of what they should because they were waiting for a new government, the last ministry of interior  was too absent in the last months, now with the new government perhaps public personnel will work again like they should

#1242 February 5 2019

AVOlio

arached wrote:
infiniteloop wrote:

i have an item that sitting there from the first of January. after calling and complaining they told me that they gonna deliver it this week.
and i also have a phone cover that arrived to the Lebanese customs on 21th of January. it just ironing that they both took less time to arrive from china even in the high season!

You called and complained to who?

#1243 February 5 2019

arached

AVOlio wrote:
arached wrote:
infiniteloop wrote:

You called and complained to who?

libanpost customer service. but of course, they had to screw it up. after agreeing on paying the delivery charge and delivering it today from 2 to 3 pm so that there's would be someone at home to answer, they managed to send it at 10 am when there's no one and so now i have to go to the branch by myself to pick it up or i have to call and complain again to make them send it to my work address w go again in this hassle. liban post at its finest.

#1244 February 6 2019

chosen2k

Delivery charge?

#1245 February 6 2019

Duath

when an item is showing as Held by costumes, is there any hope of receiving the item or should I just ask for a refund ?

#1246 February 6 2019

infiniteloop

it means it's sleeping in a room waiting for a cool customs guy to control it.
Wait till 7 days before the protection period is finished in AE and then open a dispute to protect yourself just in case

#1247 February 7 2019

LifeEngineer

@Duath, it means it's in customs now. It doesn't mean that it's actually held up by them. So wait. Some of my items stayed in that stated for up to 2 or 3 weeks and then got delivered to my house.

#1248 February 7 2019

arached

chosen2k wrote:

Delivery charge?

if it's sent as a "special delivery" they take 3000 or 5000 delivery charge.
Anw, i've went to the branch where it should be and they don't have it and now it's back to the customer service without having any clue about what happened or will happen to the parcel and can't get in touch with them because i have to wait to them to call me. libanpost at it finest.

#1249 February 8 2019

chosen2k

arached wrote:
chosen2k wrote:

Delivery charge?

if it's sent as a "special delivery" they take 3000 or 5000 delivery charge.
Anw, i've went to the branch where it should be and they don't have it and now it's back to the customer service without having any clue about what happened or will happen to the parcel and can't get in touch with them because i have to wait to them to call me. libanpost at it finest.

You need to contact them asap. There's a certain amount time they are allowed to hold on to the parcel after this time, the package will be returned to sender.

#1250 February 8 2019

infiniteloop

My item was released from customs 2 days ago, but now it's Libanpost who is taking its sweet time
And they asked why we leave this country...

Board footer