LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 October 3 2013

amkahal

What to know : Developing PHP Web App

Hi Guys,

I have the chance to sign a contract to build a PHP web application, and i have a PHP solid background but didn't code PHP since 2 years, my .NET background is much stronger.

My question is what is the shortest path to start building my web application, i mean what are the best tools to start ?

it's an app for car insurance company, some data entry, some reports with a simple a good design and of course connected to a mySQL DB.

i need your help urgently dears, because i really need the payoff of this project.

Thanks in advance.

#2 October 3 2013

rtp

Re: What to know : Developing PHP Web App

learning any framework will requite time.
Codeigniter = easy learning curve
Yii = most complex

If you want speed, i think your best choice is to ditch all framework.

#3 October 3 2013

rolf

The shortest path is to start slow.
Go the easy, fast and dirty way, you will have a running app in 1 month, then spend 3 months debugging it and trying to make it work properly.

I code directly. The tools I use are Sublime text editor, and HeidiSQL for managing the database. For testing you can use WampServer.
I use Filezilla FTP client for uploading files, and Git (with Git GUI) for version control (when necessary).

Some persons prefer to use NetBeans or Eclipse as IDE, I prefer doing without it's complexity.

All can be downloaded and used for free.

Of course, Firefox + Firebug or Chrome + developer tools.

Complexity is your enemy. Common sense is you ally.

Last edited by rolf (October 3 2013)

#4 October 3 2013

rtp

wamp for php bundle ( php + mysql + phpmyadmin )
phpstorm for ide ( not free, crack?)
firefox add on : firebug,fireftp,web development tool, ruler, rainbow color

#5 October 4 2013

amkahal

Ok, thank you all, but that leads me to another question, is there any PHP IDE has built-in datagrids and other controls with fair design?

#6 October 4 2013

NoReGreT

If you know what MVC is and have a solid PHP background, then you can learn a framework in no time. I highly recommend to go with a framework, since this is a project for a client, not something for you to use. It will save you a lot of headaches concerning upgrades and security issues at a later stage. Once you get hang of it, you will see how fast and easy changes and additions will be.

I personally use CakePHP for any PHP web app that I might do.

#7 October 7 2013

amkahal

Guys, is there anyone ready to help me via any chat program, has PHP experience?
i have some questions to ask, but need discussion, so i prefer chat over forum in this case, and i really appreciate.

#8 October 30 2013

saeidw

Ok, so this post is maybe 4 weeks too late, but I hope you find this information useful.

First, I really really recommend going through PHP: The Right Way before you make any big decisions about architecture, framework, or any of that stuff. The site will give you a good idea of the current status of development with PHP in this millennium. It's very important to have an idea of what's out there, what others are using, and what the common ways of getting things done are.

Second, use Composer. Composer will make managing external libraries and components a breeze for you. It'll give your project some structure, you'll have some common ground with other PHP code, and that's always a good thing.

Third, enable error reporting WITH notices during development. Preferably, have the errors show up on the page so that you'll know something is wrong, because something will always be wrong and you'll get burned for not catching things from notices during development.

That's about it, let me know over private message if you have questions and maybe we can set up a chat or something!

Board footer