LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 June 18 2013

ChristianKallas

Starting an Android application with Eclipse

Hello,

After learning Java recently, I've tried to download the Android SDK in order to make a mobile application.

With my poor internet connection it took me a lot to download the tools and the Jelly Bean SDK  and I also installed Android in Eclipse.

But the problem is that when I go to Eclipse and then > New > Project > Android project Application
there's that form to fill and the problem is with "Compile with" I can't select anything and without it I can't continue by clicking next!
That's the exact picture about the issue:

Compile Wtih Error

I tried to check the issue on Google and online but all I found are problems with other forms and not Compile with and this is an image showing that the Android SDK is properly installed (Correct me if I'm wrong)

Android SDK

I hope anyone can help me with this, and I'm sorry if it's a stupid small trick that will solve the issue but I tried to figure it out and didn't work. I'm running Ubuntu in case it's related to the issue.

Thanks,
Christian

#2 June 18 2013

Fischer

Re: Starting an Android application with Eclipse

i don't think you can compile with openjdk, do you have java jdk installed?

there's also an eclipse bundle created by google, that has everything you need to get started. But you don't need it if everything is set up correctly.

if you don't know how to install java jdk then please tell me which ubuntu version you're using so i can help you.

#3 June 18 2013

ChristianKallas

No I only have JRE Installed!
I'm running Ubuntu 12.10
So it's all because I don't have Java JDK Installed ?

Thanks

#4 June 18 2013

Fischer

yes you need to install jdk, jre only runs java apps

#5 June 18 2013

Fischer

sorry, my laptop battery was dying and i was kinda busy, so here i'm answering again to add these 2 links that will help you install java jdk on ubuntu. here and here

if you have any question you know where to find me :)

#6 June 19 2013

ChristianKallas

It just worked, I downloaded the JDK 7 and installed it correctly and I also fixed the path for the Android SDK in Windows > Preferences in Eclipse!

Thank you

Board footer