LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 23 2013

ch-b

Anaglyph glasses with blue ray 3D movies?

if not what type of glasses should i get?

Last edited by ch-b (May 23 2013)

#2 May 23 2013

yasamoka

Re: Anaglyph glasses with blue ray 3D movies?

That is anaglyph 3D. It relies on tinting certain areas (edges) red and blue and uses red (magenta) and blue (cyan) glasses to filter out these colors from one another. The result is each eye gets a different image. This is a basic form of 3D. It's mostly ineffective (paperish 3D), and might hurt the eyes (take off your glasses, you can only see red with one eye and blue with another).

Remember, the purpose of 3D is to show different images for each eye, with each eye getting the same image as you would otherwise in 2D mode (same clarity, colors, brightness). This means that the most effective 3D methods are those that show entirely different images for each eye, and as such, require shutters to shut off the glasses alternatively. This is active 3D.

Frame 1 is shown, the right eye is closed, Frame 2 is shown, the left eye is closed, and so on. That's the 3D that Blu-Ray movies use. They usually have 24 frames per second, per eye.

Now some TVs, like some LG TVs, have a passive 3D mode. They are fed 3D content; however, they do not alternate frames, as passive 3D means that the glasses used are not shutter glasses, they are polarized glasses. They filter out certain light. What these TVs do, I guess, is combine the two frames in such a way to work with the passive polarized glasses. Inexpensive glasses means this method is useful if there are multiple watchers. However, it's not as effective as active 3D.

The active 3D TVs have an emitter and the glasses are expensive, but these give the best 3D effect.

So you need a source which supports Blu-ray 3D movies, and either a passive 3D TV, an active 3D TV, or a 3D monitor. Active 3D monitors / TVs should be capable of 60Hz per eye, meaning 120Hz in 2D mode.

PC 3D monitors are two types:
1) Nvidia 3D vision monitors: these are compatible with Nvidia's 3D vision. They are 120Hz.
2) General 120Hz monitors: these can be used with AMD's HD3D and Intel implementations (if they exist, I don't know). They might also support Nvidia 3D vision (or to be more accurate, Nvidia 3D vision might support them; it will support all of them if all it requires is a 120Hz monitor).

There is a VESA standard (and a VESA 3D port) for 3D emitters, and I guess for glasses as well. That's something I'm trying to figure out. If you get any information about that, let me know.

Board footer