LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 16 2013

sailor

DSL installation time in Beirut

I applied for DSL 2 days ago, they told me it will take about 6 weeks to install it. Any idea on how I can accelerate the process?

#2 May 16 2013

yasamoka

Re: DSL installation time in Beirut

You can't do anything to make it faster. Except "wasta", that is.

Last edited by yasamoka (May 16 2013)

#3 May 16 2013

AvoK95

It usually takes 25days max. But they're just too lazy to do it faster.

#4 May 16 2013

makhoder

with "wasta" they installed here in less than a week

#5 May 17 2013

sailor

wasta where at the idm where i applied or at ogero

#6 May 17 2013

sailor

Avo if they told me 25 days i would relaxe and wait
but they told me 6 weeks which is too much

#7 May 17 2013

samer
Admin

Try tweeting to the minister. He seems to be helpful when it comes to these things.

#8 May 17 2013

rtp

You would be amazed on how much a $50 can accelerate the process.  Actually this is how every institution works in Lebanon.  You should always carry at least $50 in your pocket, you never know when you need to bribe somebody.  By bribary you would be stacking the corruption, you can always use the excuse of "everybody is doing it" or "shou we2fet 3alayeh", by doing so you would be a good Lebanese.  Ofcouse, you can always do the wrong thing and just wait.

p.s: The truth is that the people are corrupt which in turn corrups the government not the other way around.

#9 May 17 2013

Kassem

By telling you that you have to wait 6 weeks, they're actually telling you "show me the money". If people would stop feeding those bastards with the $50 bribe (or whatever number that is), maybe - and I say maybe - those lazy parasites working in the public sector would give up and start doing their job without waiting for a bribe.

The funny thing is they had the audacity to close down public institutions and ask for an increase in their salaries. They barely work 4 hours of the day (and I guess I'm being too optimistic), and they want to get paid just like those working AT LEAST 8 hours in the private sector.

#10 May 17 2013

scorpioxy

Not to go offtopic but I had an incident with Ogero people where they refused to do any work without a bribe. Even talking to their manager who basically told me to "take care of them". Trying to do the right thing gets you nowhere. The system is too corrupt for any fixing.

To OP, if you can get a hold of the people in charge of installations at your area. Tell them that you'll greatly appreciate it if you can get it faster and that everyone will be happy if they did. As in, tell them you'll bribe them if you can get it faster.

#11 May 17 2013

sailor

samer nice idea!
i did it and this what the Minister sent back  ( Send me your mob number Nabil please )
i gave him my mobile number and now am waiting to see if anyone from ogero or idm will call me
i will keep you updated

#12 June 4 2013

sailor

after 3 weeks of waiting time i called IDM today they said my application still at ogero, they are testing the line!
it should be done this week then they move to the second step which is the T1 buy then the installation time which takes 2 weeks
also the Minister didnt reply last tweet from him was : SEND ME YOUR MOB NUM IN DM ....
the problem is my mobi expire in 6 days and i dont want o pay 50$ to use the mobi for half month
any idea?

#13 June 4 2013

ranibalaa

You could get 3G 750MB for 20$ just for the half of the month remaining?

#14 June 4 2013

shant

Don't wait them to come, your account usually gets created within 3 weeks, just call them and obtain your username and password, buy a DSL router and configure it yourself rather than wait them to come and configure it for you,that's what i did

#15 June 5 2013

Gamer

ranibalaa wrote:

You could get 3G 750MB for 20$ just for the half of the month remaining?

you can get 4G LTE 750MB for 20$

4G LTE     Consumption     Price/Month*
Offer 1     750 MB     $19
Offer 2     1.5 GB     $29
Offer 3     3 GB     $49
Offer 4     5 GB     $69
Offer 5     10 GB     $99
Offer 6     20 GB     $119
Offer 7     40 GB     $149
https://www.touch.com.lb/autoforms/port … e/overview

and buy a router or USB dongle
https://www.touch.com.lb/autoforms/port … te/devices

#16 June 5 2013

sailor

shant wrote:

Don't wait them to come, your account usually gets created within 3 weeks, just call them and obtain your username and password, buy a DSL router and configure it yourself rather than wait them to come and configure it for you,that's what i did

They gave me the dsl router first day i applied i will call idm tomorrow to  check if they have username and password for me and try

#17 August 15 2013

sailor

finally i got my adsl a week ago
application date was in 15 may 2013
installation date was in 07 august 2013
12 weeks with 6 weeks difference (idm said it will take 6 weeks)
Thanks God i got it finally
thanks for guys who tried to help me

#18 August 15 2013

rolf

sailor wrote:

Avo if they told me 25 days i would relaxe and wait
but they told me 6 weeks which is too much

I wouldn't relax in any case, you can take their time and multiply by 1.5 or 2 and you would be closer to the most probably outcome in the future.
But then there are enough things to get stressed about in Lebanon, and you don't need more.

Maybe you're asking in the wrong place. Just ask the party in charge of the installation how it can be accelerated.

Kassem wrote:

By telling you that you have to wait 6 weeks, they're actually telling you "show me the money". If people would stop feeding those bastards with the $50 bribe (or whatever number that is), maybe - and I say maybe - those lazy parasites working in the public sector would give up and start doing their job without waiting for a bribe.

Or maybe if these lazy parasites would be paid a decent salary to start with?
Not that I know what they're paid, but it is usually the case when there is corruption, that it is also partly out of necessity.

Last edited by rolf (August 15 2013)

#19 December 3 2013

bermudapineapple

I was just going to make a thread about this.

I called IDM yesterday to tell them I wanted to apply for ADSL. I give the woman my old phone number and she realizes they already have all our information from our last subscription. I tell her to just start it on our new phone number.

Great. If they already have all our info, maybe it will not take too long?

She told me we would have to wait for at least 2 months... And so if sailor got his connection in 12 weeks when they told him 6, that means I'm getting mine in 4 months.

IDM are too kind.

#20 December 3 2013

ramy58

I don't get why others isps take so much time, ogero took 1 week to install my internet.

#21 December 3 2013

maulader

ramy58 wrote:

I don't get why others isps take so much time, ogero took 1 week to install my internet.

It's quite random from what I've seen. Ogero or no ogero, sometimes it's 3 days sometimes it's 2 months. I don't know what the reasons are for this randomness however, if someone has any thoughts please share.

#22 December 3 2013

bermudapineapple

I'm going to call Ogero tomorrow and see what they say. I'll just pick the best out of the two since there is not much difference in performance.

#23 December 16 2013

user

I find this odd because the OP lives in Beirut. I was once told by an Ogero guy(that installs the routers) that their policy is, they would rather lose a customer than do a long distance travel for one customer only(referring to my house in the mountains) because of gas prices and all.

But delays in Beirut is just ridiculous.

#24 December 17 2013

ramy58

Wow that's a really bad policy for an enterprise that belongs to the country.

#25 December 18 2013

bermudapineapple

I talked to Ogero and I live "in the mountains." They said it would take me 21 days to get the internet. That is much better than "2 months at least."

Board footer