LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 December 14 2012

ziadomran

Re: Installing OSX 10.8 on a PC

Thanks Astex , I will check in a second!

I tried Ubuntu once, didn't really like it..
By the way, can  we upgrade Windows 7 to 8 now ?
Is it worth ?

#27 December 14 2012

ziadomran

I didn't see my CPU in the website...

#28 December 14 2012

Astex

your PC is probably unhackintoshable.

#29 December 14 2012

ziadomran

I guess the best option is to buy a Macbook.. Where is the best place in Lebanon to find a store who sells Macbooks in a good price?
And we could detect if a Macbook is good or no? (if it's used)
I need someone with experience with Macbooks to help me.
What is the best; iMac or a Macbook?
Macbook Pro or Macbook Air?

#30 December 14 2012

AvoK95

An iMac is a desktop All-in-one system
A MacBook Pro is a regular laptop, pretty straight forward in terms of specs, the ones with retina displays are far better in image quality
A MacBook Air is a netbook alternative. The specs are pretty good though, but there's no optical drive, but it's VERY thin, like razor sharp thin..thinnest laptop in the world actually.

When buying a Mac, make sure the box is sealed with nylon.
You can look around the forum for good places. I heard Adkom in Dora is good.

Also, don't spam the topic with post after each other. Just edit your original post. This is not a chat client.

#31 December 14 2012

shekib82

anyone know where we can get iMACs in lebanon at a price that is comparable to the american price. they add about a third of the price in the regular mac shops.

#32 December 14 2012

elias.hourany

it is easy to be done dual boot windows 7 and mac OS x you need to download it from thepiratebay.se it's called hackintosh

#33 December 15 2012

riqmarmes

There are several ways of installing Mac OSx on a pc, hackintosh won't always work, and hardware maybe a problem (some motherboards won't be compatible and so on). There are many guides on youtube on how to make a hackintosh and there are many recommended PC builds that will work as hackintosh. http://www.tonymacx86.com/home.php   You should have went through this website at least once with just a little bit of research.

#34 December 26 2012

Mr.Issa

Hello,
Yesterday i managed to run OS X 10.8 on my laptop as well on my desktop PC.
First of all you have to download really big sized files. If you have access to an existing mac it will be around 4.5 GBs. If you don't it's around 10 GBs.
I'm gonna provide you the links and then you are at your own.

Download links: <snip />

If you don't have access to an existing mac you need to run a vmware image of OS X on your windows PC so you need to download : <snip />

Tutorial :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN5MvQdnsPc

This is the easiest method an the most end-user friendly.

Edit:

Requirements:

1. An 8GB USB flash drive or larger.
2. A copy of OS X 10.8 (you can buy it for 19.99 $ or find another way to get it)
3. Search for myHack 3.1.2 and download it. (it's mac app)
4. A running mac. ( If you don't have access to one will be a pain in the ass anyway pm me)

Steps:

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN5MvQdnsPc on an existing mac.
2. Create a new partion on the HDD of your PC.
3. Turn off your PC, plug in the flash drive and boot from it.
4. When the installer shows up go to utilities -> Disk Utility and format the destination partition the same way you did for the installer flash drive.
5. Go through the OS X installer steps and install it.
6. Restart when the install is done.
7. Boot OS X 10.8. You will have to search for some drivers and install them to make all your hardware work (the real pain in the ass).

Last edited by Mr.Issa (December 26 2012)

#35 December 26 2012

yasamoka

@Mr. Issa: no links to warez are allowed on these forums. Please read the LebGeeks Forums Etiquette.

#36 December 26 2012

Mr.Issa

I'm really sorry I didn't know that.
Anyway if anyone needs help I'm here.

#37 December 28 2012

Fischer

Frst tutorial.
Second tutorial part one, part two.

By the way, you can install macubuntu on any ubuntu or debian based os, there's also linux pear, which is based on ubuntu, and many mac look alike os.

Last edited by Fischer (December 28 2012)

#38 February 15 2013

core dump

well best and cheapest way to use osx on a pc under linux or windows is via virtualbox download the program (it's free) pop in the osxcd in your drive and create a new virtual machine running osx

#39 February 15 2013

yasamoka

core dump wrote:

well best and cheapest way to use osx on a pc under linux or windows is via virtualbox download the program (it's free) pop in the osxcd in your drive and create a new virtual machine running osx

I don't think it's that easy. Any links?

#40 February 15 2013

AvoK95

Watch "Hackintosh Pro Project! [Part 4: The OSX Install]" on YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4fpYnz … ata_player

#41 February 16 2013

core dump

yasamoka wrote:
core dump wrote:

I don't think it's that easy. Any links?

On the contrary actually it's very simple , you don't need links , i've had osx running on my pcs for more than 2 years under both linux (mandriva) and windows ,

how to do it ,
1) download virtualbox install it on your system
2) get a osx cd from any apple shop the real deal original cd seels for about 150,000 to 200,000 at ny apple dealer.
3) Depending on your pc dvd reader/writer , pop in the osx cd in your drive and when you start virtual box , create a new virtual machine and tell it to boot from cd , when it does you can easily install the osc in your virtual machine  .
4) alternatively , you get hold of an iso packager , creat single file iso image of the osx cd  copy that iso file to your pc and boot the new virtual machine from that iso file to install osx.

Bare in mind virtualboix is free stuff , however there's also a nicer program called vimware which works more or less like virtualbox but this one cost a bit of money , it is worth it.

Good luck

#42 February 16 2013

yasamoka

Ohh, nice!

I will try something similar then!

#43 June 12 2013

Fischer

@Neeeds you can install mac on a windows pc if you have the right hardware in your laptop, please read my answer. And you can get the Mac for free on torrent websites.

#44 June 12 2013

samer
Admin

This statement was correct over seven years ago. However, in the summer of 2006, Apple announced the shift from PowerPC to the Intel x86 architecture. A patched OS X can run on any hardware. You'll run into some problems, but theoretically, it should work fine.

Neeeds wrote:

Hello guys,
you can't virtulise Mac os on a Windows pc because the pc architecture isn't the same and Apple will not allow you to do it.
the only way to virtulise a Mac OS is on a Mac pc ( can't figure the use of it )
hope my post had helped you

#45 June 12 2013

Joe

On top of what samer says, any decent (not Virtualbox) virtualization solution will be able to emulate other architectures. Emulating PowerPC is super easy to do regardless of which hardware or operating system you're running underneath.

the only way to virtulise a Mac OS is on a Mac pc ( can't figure the use of it )

Even if that statement was true, there's still a lot of use cases where you'd like to virtualize a Mac inside a Mac. Off the top of my head:

• Testing a new configuration that may break your system.

• Installing a package in a sandboxed environment to avoid polluting your system.

• Develop a networking solution where you need working on 2 or more clients.

And these are just the obvious cases. You may come across specific business requirements that would have you running computation in a virtual environment. It's not that uncommon for me to run VMs inside other VMs.

Virtualization has many use cases, not just for the casual user to test a separate OS.

Board footer