LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#126 July 5 2014

longbit

Re: Feedback for WISE

between the CO's it is not fiber optic, not sure what they are using but it i snot fiber optic, excluding downtown which is fiber optic I GUESS...
but the traffic to us is fiber optic (talking about wise) , note that not all the CO's are connected to us... the customer traffic is carried by the DSP (Data Service Provider) and then to us.

#127 July 5 2014

InVader

longbit wrote:

between the CO's it is not fiber optic, not sure what they are using but it i snot fiber optic, excluding downtown which is fiber optic I GUESS...
but the traffic to us is fiber optic (talking about wise) , note that not all the CO's are connected to us... the customer traffic is carried by the DSP (Data Service Provider) and then to us.

What about this?

http://jo.pcm.gov.lb/j2014/j24/wfk/kit350-1.htm

#128 July 5 2014

andrew55

@longbit are you able to know how much speed you can give a customer before he/she applies to wise?

#129 July 5 2014

m_zeid

andrew55 wrote:

@longbit are you able to know how much speed you can give a customer before he/she applies to wise?

You can call Wise on 1261 or by email: info@wise.net.lb
They sure can do a feasibility test, IMO emailing them will be better in this case.

#130 July 5 2014

m_zeid

longbit wrote:

@m_zeid that is exactly why we are not making the 6-8 M plan easy to get (cost wise). the upgrade that was done it was only on international links, they gave us the upgrades that we've been asking for, for more than 1 year. the upgrade didn't include the local backbone between CO's, they added few CO's in some area's that didn't have dsl, that's all...
they talked about a local fiber backbone few years ago... but nothing yet.
hopefully the next step MOT will start working on good backbone/infrastructure.

That is very important, that they answer your requests!
I hope they finish the fiber backbone, and hope for Wise to install it's own DSP, that will rock!

#131 July 5 2014

andrew55

Thanks!

#132 July 5 2014

Aly

WISE already has their own DSP, its Pesco Telecom, both companies are owned by the same group, just like IDM and GDS.

#133 July 7 2014

longbit

@Aly true... but the optical fiber backbone is up to MOT... hopefully it would be the next step (i should have been the first step to do... )

#134 July 7 2014

InVader

longbit wrote:

@Aly true... but the optical fiber backbone is up to MOT... hopefully it would be the next step (i should have been the first step to do... )

Isn't the fiber backbone ready? According to the official gazette, it is:

http://jo.pcm.gov.lb/j2014/j24/wfk/kit350-1.htm

#135 July 7 2014

Aly

longbit wrote:

Yes I know ;) but I was answering the guy who said WISE should have its own DSP ... they already have.

#136 July 19 2014

Elied

Is there something going on with the WISE Box or is it just me who's getting a very low speed, I'm getting 20 kB/s instead of the usual 100 at all hours of the day sometimes even worse. I'm near the bikfaya area, and this is persistent no matter how much I try to move it around.

#137 July 20 2014

Jean-b

Same problem here with the Wise Box, getting barely 30-40 kB/s on youtube, maps, and almost all direct browser downloads, sometimes it is even slower.. BUT when I perform a speedtest I get 1.5 Mb download result and I have a speed of 160-170 kB/s using download accelerator or youtube downloader.. I'm in the Jounieh area btw. What's the matter @longbit ?

#138 July 21 2014

m_zeid

DSL 1M12>>2M55 the result is very weird
3638184337.png

Last edited by m_zeid (July 21 2014)

#139 July 25 2014

Aly

Wise 2Mbps:
3648126343.png

#140 July 26 2014

m_zeid

2Mbps the original speed or after upgrade?

why i have this very high ping?!!
3650167315.png

#141 July 27 2014

darkredbbb

m_zeid wrote:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3650167315.png

I have had about the same speed, when I'm supposed to be upgraded to 2 mbps on the 2M55 plan. I used to have the 1M12 before the upgrade.
3650761858.png
The WISE customer support tell me that I need to wait until I get my upgrade, which they have no idea when would happen...

On a side note, how was everyone's torrent speeds for the past week? I haven't been getting anything more than 3 kb/s on all of my downloads, even though they are popular torrents (200+ seeds on each.) I have a reason to believe that my Internet is being throttled by WISE themselves, even though I'm on a limited plan and barely past 50% of my usage.

#142 July 31 2014

longbit

@darkredbbb can you check torrent and let me know...

#143 July 31 2014

m_zeid

darkredbbb wrote:
m_zeid wrote:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3650167315.png

I have had about the same speed, when I'm supposed to be upgraded to 2 mbps on the 2M55 plan. I used to have the 1M12 before the upgrade.
http://www.speedtest.net/result/3650761858.png
The WISE customer support tell me that I need to wait until I get my upgrade, which they have no idea when would happen...

On a side note, how was everyone's torrent speeds for the past week? I haven't been getting anything more than 3 kb/s on all of my downloads, even though they are popular torrents (200+ seeds on each.) I have a reason to believe that my Internet is being throttled by WISE themselves, even though I'm on a limited plan and barely past 50% of my usage.

yeah speed dropped like 30KB, but i was wondering why there is a big difference between us? anyhow...
yeah, i can't download torrents too, 0 KB, 0 seeders, 0 leachers and yes they are popular torrents of 2014 movie found on kat.ph

#144 July 31 2014

m_zeid

one more thing, browsing was more "snappy" now not especially facebook, too slow

#145 July 31 2014

Truepeace

I also noticed the slowdown for torrents this month, I have 2M45 plan but I still get the 0.90mbit speed (waiting for the upgrade) so my download speed should be minimum 100kb/sec, however with torrents even the very popular ones with a lot of seeders, my speed never gets past 5kb/sec, I tried port forwarding, changing my ip to a DMZ one, it did not change anything (just once I got full speed)
HOWEVER, I always get a speed of minimum 70kb/sec and it reaches sometimes the 90kb/sec or 100kb/sec as soon as I connect to my VPN and I tested this several times.
I called WISE asking them if they're throttling my bandwith for torrents and the staff told me that "akid ma bya3mlo hek chi", I didn't want to tell him about the vpn  thing since I suppose he won't know what to reply but I think I'll email this to the support team.
What do you think?

#146 August 1 2014

m_zeid

Truepeace wrote:

I also noticed the slowdown for torrents this month, I have 2M45 plan but I still get the 0.90mbit speed (waiting for the upgrade) so my download speed should be minimum 100kb/sec, however with torrents even the very popular ones with a lot of seeders, my speed never gets past 5kb/sec, I tried port forwarding, changing my ip to a DMZ one, it did not change anything (just once I got full speed)
HOWEVER, I always get a speed of minimum 70kb/sec and it reaches sometimes the 90kb/sec or 100kb/sec as soon as I connect to my VPN and I tested this several times.
I called WISE asking them if they're throttling my bandwith for torrents and the staff told me that "akid ma bya3mlo hek chi", I didn't want to tell him about the vpn  thing since I suppose he won't know what to reply but I think I'll email this to the support team.
What do you think?

I think that Wise is letting us down.
They are banning torrent protocol! even ogero didn't do that.

The first month of the upgrades now finished, and we got the quota, that was really awesome!
but still nothing regarding speed, and to make things worse they banned torrent

I hope things get fixed soon

#147 August 1 2014

darkredbbb

m_zeid wrote:
Truepeace wrote:

What do you think?

The first month of the upgrades now finished, and we got the quota, that was really awesome!

They're definitely throttling torrent downloads. I called the support again and they said that they're having trouble with torrent connections, hoping to fix it soon. But in all honesty I think they simply didn't manage to get the upgrade on bandwidth, at the same time promising customers with more GBs that they can't possibly provide at the moment. Or maybe that makes no sense and I'm just being paranoid.

Either ways, boo WISE, get your shit together. I can't see what else we could do at the moment but wait.

#148 August 2 2014

m_zeid

darkredbbb wrote:
m_zeid wrote:
Truepeace wrote:

What do you think?

They're definitely throttling torrent downloads. I called the support again and they said that they're having trouble with torrent connections, hoping to fix it soon. But in all honesty I think they simply didn't manage to get the upgrade on bandwidth, at the same time promising customers with more GBs that they can't possibly provide at the moment. Or maybe that makes no sense and I'm just being paranoid.

Either ways, boo WISE, get your shit together. I can't see what else we could do at the moment but wait.

yeah, we can't do anything but waiting.
But I think our connections, we the wise clients, are still better in shape than of other ISPs

#149 August 4 2014

longbit

wow wow wow....
been away a while but am here now, let's right to fix this...
first of all, @m_zeid what's your plan ?
am checking the torrent issue atm.
we ar enot letting anyone down... the thng that this migration and upgrade can be a bit of a mess at first.

Last edited by longbit (August 4 2014)

#150 August 4 2014

m_zeid

@longbit
I don't know man, i got no plans, god help you :)
but here is the deal:
First I assure to you that things ARE getting better, browsing now is better, I don't know if you installed squid servers like before but anyway browsing is now good.
Second, I was little concerned why latency is high inside Lebanon! pinging to cedarcom's server in beirut (I'm in Tripoli) will be 120ms at it's best. I think it should be ~70ms max
Can we do something about this(connections and routing to other ISPs)? or this is a nation wide problem (infrastructure) and it's out of our control?
I don't care about their server on speedtest.net but wondering if this high latency exist between different users using diferent ISPs inside lebanon, which will affect our VoIP and gaming experience...
3rd, a big problem is stability regarding latency and speed, during the day I can achieve 70KB/s and sometimes 80 at its best, but after 9:00 pm it will reach as low as 40. I'll let the latency numbers after 9:00 pm for your imagination :)

finally, torrent. till this moment the problem still here. BTW some people only use torrent and don't provide HTTP downloads for others like Debian for example. I'm waiting to download the DVD iso :)

keep up the good job mate, hope for good news
take care

Board footer