LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#51 January 6 2019

Joe

Re: Racist Lebanon

duke-of-bytes wrote:

why can't i hate someone because of his race ?! i am asking about the why it is wrong ?

• From a rational point of view, it makes no sense to assume anything about an individual based on their race. In other word, you cannot assume that an individual is good at sports simply because they're black. It's factually wrong. It applies equally to negative stereotypes.

• From an emotional point of view, you're opening yourself up to hate somebody before knowing anything about them. Any time you open yourself up to hatred, you're making your life a little sadder. If someone you just met started hating on you because they had a previous bad experience with an Arab (or whatever race you are), wouldn't you feel a little sad for them?

• From a political point of view, History has shown again and again that systemic discrimination towards a single group of people leads to inbalances which in turn lead to instability, turmoil and disruption. If we want to build a stable society, it's vital that every individual feels like they have equal opportunity and aren't harmed by immutable characteristics.

• From a scientific point of view, the notion of race kinda doesn't hold up. Sure, in a vaccuum there are black people, european people, asian people or whatever. But that's a pretty shallow view of the world. If you look closer, almost everyone is the result of thousands of years of mixing and cross-breeding and nobody really is "pure" race. We're all a big melting pot of genes that come from all over the world, and the way globalization is going, we're going to keep mixing more and more. It's scientifically extremely difficult to determine somebody's race exactly, and trying to do so is futile really.

• From a legal point of view, it's only a crime to hate on somebody based on their race in certain countries in the world. The USA went through massive political turmoilin the 1950s where the population decided to show more aggressive sympathy towards the black population. Europe followed suit a few years later, as a symbolic atonment for their colonialist past. Lebanon, as far as I know, doesn't have any similar laws, because we have a different history, and a different past. Each country has its history, and it explains why we reached the current state of affairs.

TL;DR: Nothing prevents you from being racist. But if you think about it a bit, it should be obvious that it's the wrong way to go about it.

#52 January 7 2019

eWizzard

And if you subscribe to racism, don't come to LebGeeks.

#53 January 8 2019

rolf

duke-of-bytes wrote:

why can't i hate someone because of his race ?! i am asking about the why it is wrong ?

Why would you want to hate anyone? Is it fun now to hate people?

To answer, I don't care what you talk or think in private. I just don't want to see anyone disrespected or mistreated based on their race.

Last edited by rolf (January 8 2019)

#54 February 3 2019

Cage

rolf wrote:
duke-of-bytes wrote:

Why would you want to hate anyone? Is it fun now to hate people?

To answer, I don't care what you talk or think in private. I just don't want to see anyone disrespected or mistreated based on their race.

Sometimes people just hate because most of the time it doesn't need justification..

Board footer