LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#76 August 6 2012

Ngel

Re: Dota 2 - Game Thread

I created a Steam group called Lebgeeks, with the logo and everything

I have 5 of you guys on Steam (Omaraboumrad, Rkproceed, Vah_ze, az09za90za, mrclass) i invited them

Anyone else in here that i don't have, please send me a PM with you steam name, will make sure to send you an invite

'Internationnaly' means just go on premades for the moment, i am sure fun will be waiting for us 

And yes, between Skype and mostly every other voice chat client (i.e: ventrilo) Skype remains the best in my opinion

Lets play!

Ngel

#77 August 6 2012

xterm

Anyone lives around Jal El Dib can toss the game on a DVD so i can take it from him? I'm leaving Jal el dib in about 30 minutes.

#78 August 6 2012

Ngel

If you have any visit to Kaslik-Jbeil area, i'll do it

#79 August 6 2012

geekevo

And our team bites the dust. (I played awfully because my mouse seized to function properly)

#80 August 7 2012

MrClass

geekevo wrote:

And our team bites the dust. (I played awfully because my mouse seized to function properly)

Well the matter is that we need better coordination when ganking or when being ganked. Let's make a rule; after level 7, no more jungling; team regroup and ganking commences :)

#81 August 7 2012

rtp

geekevo wrote:

you seriously blaming the mouse

@MrClass

Depends on the picks, if you have better late, its better to turtle.

Edit:

but i usually really enjoy ganking. i think when we have a proper team we can coordinate the person who usually plays carry and support or ganker... just give it some time and communication i think we can enjoy our games more soon as we get to know each other roles and style of play.

Last edited by rtp (August 7 2012)

#82 August 7 2012

haidcar

any cares to share an invite with a fellow member?

#83 August 7 2012

Ngel

@haidar sure! steam name ?

@everyone else WE NEED COMMUNICATION! hence Skype and stuff. once we are on voice chat, 90% of coordination will be MUCH easier, we will be MUCH more aware of mostly everything

Since we are being 4 or 5 every game, let us agree who:
Supports: 2 players support WARDS! and MORE WARDS  and courier early, heal in-fight using mechanism, chose a support hero, etc
Carry: Maximum 2 carries, 1 mid and one endgame. they go top and bot with the support. support should only harras and let the carries farm
Tank: become hardcore  vanguard/pipe/good initiation

of-course, we switch roles everyone now and then until we know everyone preferred game-play and favorite heroes

we played poorly yesterday, but none of us doesn't know how to play, which is very good. its just a matter of time. i myself drolled couple of times ^.^ *winks* mrclass *winks* 

yalla, see you tonight on the battle field! (please get your microphones and headphones ready)

Ngel

#84 August 7 2012

rtp

@Ngel

how much does skype consume bandwidth?

i would suggest tri lane or somebody going woods i can woods with furion i need some practice with chen tho.

Last edited by rtp (August 7 2012)

#85 August 7 2012

Ngel

@rtp as i read, it should be around 10 to 15 KB/s which is pretty fair in my opinion

Tri-laning and wood are decided on the spot depending on hero selection

#86 August 7 2012

WizaRd

Yesterday I had the most fun ever in a pub game since I started on Dota 2.

Randomed pudge. Nuff said

#87 August 7 2012

rtp

Ngel wrote:

@rtp as i read, it should be around 10 to 15 KB/s which is pretty fair in my opinion

Tri-laning and wood are decided on the spot depending on hero selection

so thats around 18mb per 30 min ?

#88 August 8 2012

xterm

Got the game, I'll probably be online at around 8:30pm.

On a side note, I need some time to get used to it.

#89 August 8 2012

yasamoka

Guys instead of Skype, use TeamSpeak. Much more efficient.

#90 August 8 2012

ballad

dota 2 has an internal communication systems
I sometimes use it

#91 August 10 2012

xterm

Here's my review as of 5 public games played. I urge you not to get freaked out about the negative comments I'm giving and provide constructive replies instead. Also, I know that this is Beta so spare me the "This is beta wait til its out" comments. Criticism exists to improve Betas not to drown it.

About the gamer in me (hero based games only):
- I've been playing Dota long before Icefrog took over kept playing quite alot over the years, got involved in many local tournaments and organized some myself. For those of you whom are familiar with DOMNet, will know this to be true.
- I tried LoL and simply didn't find it to be my style. Dota is what I like so the logical decision was to try HoN.
- I started playing HoN since Beta and I'm still playing it today casually.

My computer specs:
i7 2600k, Sapphire Radeon 6970,  8GB Viper Extreme, SSD, PX2370 23" LED

My comments about Dota 2:

Misc

- Game size: 4GB is simply too much. I honestly don't know how or why it's so large, but it's quite annoying for someone in lebanon to download the game.
- Game requirements: This is something that should be handled, when i try to find a game, 9 out of 10 matches, some players are simply unable to load the game and we end up getting disconnected. Perhaps this is also an internet issue for some people but i presume it's the loading time rather the internet issue.

Pre-Match UI

- Game menu: It looks decent, I think they did a great job with it. It could use a little tuning especially on the part where they seem to use browser components rather native components.
- Match selection: It's decent as well, I like the display and the way the game provides you with the progress of the match lookup.
- Hero selection: It's simply aweful, perhaps there's another way to view the heros but that 'Card' style view is not friendly at all. I would prefer a Grid based view, with details (like the card view hero details) available on mouse over or on initial selection (before clicking pick). The top display of the currently hovered on heroes or the selected heroes should have a tooltip that shows the hero selected. I know that you can click and see what the hero is, but that shouldn't be the case. I should be able to quickly glance and know what heroes are picked.

In-Game

- Environment Graphics: Graphics are fine, it's what you'd expect from a game in 2012. I have no problem running the game at max resolution, max details and everything without a slight hiccup.
- Hero Graphics: They are extremely weak. They look like small blobs and they are very bulky, and the colors are not harmonious with the environment. Perhaps they wanted it this way but that doesn't do justice to the effort placed on the environment. I would choose to lighten up the character colors and have them mix with the environment.
- Hero Animation: All heroes look constipated in the game! Agility heroes do not 'act' agile.
- Attach Animation: This used to be a key power of a certain hero and right now, they all seem to have the same animation.
- HUD: Incredibly cluttered and things are all over the place.
-- 1: Hero statistics : Very large, It shouldn't be this big, it can be reduced by at least half.
-- 2: Abilities tooltips : Small grey text?
-- 3: Item images: Not crisp at all! very very blurry. Additionally, when you're moving items around it seems like you're dragging an image not an item. They should rework this, it's very ugly.
-- 4: Shop menu: It's not friendly at all, the shop graphics are quite ugly and the shortcuts are, well, hidden? (HoN Shop, P.S: this screenshot seems rather old)
- Gameplay: It's not bad. If we're comparing dota 1 to dota 2 then it's a definite improvement. They should however take into consideration what they were lacking in dota 1 and apply them to dota 2. The most notable issue that I think they didn't tackle, is the intelligence heroes scaling. (HoN solved this with: Spellshards, you can find it in Combative, first item)

I have more things to say but i'll leave them for later. All in all, I didn't find it quite hard to adapt to Dota 2 bar some delays i faced finding things on the screen.

Dota 2 is promising I just hope they don't release too early and make sure to look at the existing games and take ideas from them as well.

#92 August 10 2012

rtp

@xterm

- you can press Control to view the heroes in a grid

- intel hero shouldn't scale, if they did then the point of carry would be much gone, i think...

#93 August 10 2012

xterm

rtp wrote:

- intel hero shouldn't scale, if they did then the point of carry would be much gone, i think...

I miswrote, I wanted to say spell scaling not intel hero scaling.

On a side note, Intelligence heroes are perfectly capable of carrying (Akasha, Stormspirit...). They excel at mid game carrying.

Edit: A few notes:

Early Game: minute 0 to minute 10
Carries: Most int heroes, Some str heroes, Few Agi heroes
Mid Game: minute 10 to minute 25
Carries: Some int heroes, Most str heroes, Some Agi heroes
End Game: minute 25+
Carries: Very few int heroes, Few str heroes, Most Agi heroes

You have Physical armor and Magical armor. Heroes have a 25% (20?) base magical resistance which you can boost with a cloak for 550g to 40% (It's additive, no diminishing returns) so for the price of 550g you've already mitigated 40% of the magical damage dealt to you (Not to mention heroes with magic armor boosting abilities like antimage). Towards mid game you have black king bar which is a complete mitigation.

In terms of physical armor, it's costs quite a lot to get physical resistance, it has diminishing returns, it scales multiplicative and it can be reduced by a very powerful orb effect (Desolator). Ghost scepter has the downside of being vulnerable to magic.

#94 August 10 2012

rtp

xterm wrote:
rtp wrote:

I miswrote, I wanted to say spell scaling not intel hero scaling.

On a side note, Intelligence heroes are perfectly capable of carrying (Akasha, Stormspirit...). They excel at mid game carrying.

aren't the spells the same?

yeah true some hero can carry mid game and do decent damage even late.

#95 August 10 2012

xterm

rtp wrote:

aren't the spells the same?

Check my edit above.

#96 August 10 2012

MrClass

As rtp said, click on the CTRL button to see the grid view. Regarding intelligence heros, it depends what are they. Nuke intelligence heros own early and mid game. As you saw yesterday, puck was owning early game, and that was its glory time. They could have won the game in 20 minutes; but they delayed and made the game last for 60 minutes instead. If you play intelligence, you got to know that time is against you, the more you delay the game end, the more you will suffer late game. The contrast between early game heros and late game heros is nice. If in the end all heros are the same, then what's the point? Dota 2 does include an item that may help nuke intelligence heros last in late game; orchid. It silences and makes the hero take 30% more damage. Also you got aghaneims, which works for almost all intelligence heros (few exceptions), and for some heros aghaniems makes them really imbalanced (hello warlock!). Note that super carries have very low HP even in late game (unless you buff them with HP items rather than damage items), so intelligence heros can still do some remarkable damage even late game.

#97 August 10 2012

xterm

Orchid existed in Dota 1 as well.

Again, concerning intelligence heroes, I'm not disagreeing with you guys, take a look at the Edit. I'm talking about spells not staying static and having the ability to bypass magic armor a bit the same way desolator bypasses physical armor.

#98 August 10 2012

MrClass

I can't quite remember, does ghost scepter work on opponents or only yourself?

#99 August 10 2012

xterm

MrClass wrote:

I can't quite remember, does ghost scepter work on opponents or only yourself?

Only yourself.

#100 August 10 2012

rtp

@xterm

i agree that spells scale bad compared to physical damage...

i find BKB way to annoying since it starts at long 10 seconds,it just never ending.

Specially that its bought mid game where the spell casters are most harmful.

Board footer