LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#26 May 24 2012

AvoK95

Re: Free alternatives to pirated software

Thanks mate, but I need something for Windows.

#27 May 24 2012

yasamoka

AvoK95 wrote:

I need a program that converts DVD's/ HD DVD's/ Blue-rays into AVI files (Or any other file)
I also need it to convert it into something high quality.

Try Handbrake.

#28 May 24 2012

AvoK95

yasamoka wrote:
AvoK95 wrote:

I need a program that converts DVD's/ HD DVD's/ Blue-rays into AVI files (Or any other file)
I also need it to convert it into something high quality.

Try Handbrake.

LOVE IT!

#29 February 12 2013

AvoK95

Acronis True Image 2013 alternative ?

Acronis is a piece of software to clone hard drives.

#30 February 12 2013

Roudykh

DriveImage XML

#31 February 19 2013

NoReGreT

AvoK95 wrote:

How about http://clonezilla.org/ ?

#32 February 19 2013

AvoK95

#33 February 26 2013

AvoK95

I found this great tool for IT Technicians who want to install Windows and Office updates for clients but don't want to download them every time they install Windows.
It's called WSUS Offline Updater. It's a small yet very awesome tool. You pick the OS you want and the version of Office you want updates for, and it starts downloading them into a folder (or any directory of your choice), then you can install the updates without downloading them every time on every single computer you're working on. It's completely free, and it's a shame that very few people know about it. Try it, it's just GREAT!

#34 March 16 2013

AvoK95

A free ISO editing tool anyone ?

#35 March 16 2013

Ayman

It would be cool to build a windows program that you run on a fresh Windows install and fetches for you all the latest version of the free software and install them for you. The user could also remove/add from the default packages. Options like "express" and "minimal" installs could be available too depending on the user's preferences.

Lets prepare a list of all the software divided into different categories and I can work on it. We can host the project on Github for getting further collaboration is anyone is interested.

The tool can be very useful for computer technicians who build new desktops every day. They'd just have to run the utility which saves them time and helps consumers get to use open and free software on their PCs.

#36 March 16 2013

Joe

Avo, what do you mean by ISO editing? I'm not sure I get it.

#37 March 16 2013

AvoK95

Ayman wrote:

It would be cool to build a windows program that you run on a fresh Windows install and fetches for you all the latest version of the free software and install them for you. The user could also remove/add from the default packages. Options like "express" and "minimal" installs could be available too depending on the user's preferences.

Lets prepare a list of all the software divided into different categories and I can work on it. We can host the project on Github for getting further collaboration is anyone is interested.

The tool can be very useful for computer technicians who build new desktops every day. They'd just have to run the utility which saves them time and helps consumers get to use open and free software on their PCs.

Try Ninite

rahmu wrote:

Avo, what do you mean by ISO editing? I'm not sure I get it.

I have a Windows XP ISO image. I want to add a file or two in a folder, inside the ISO file. So that when I burn it to a disk, the files would be on the disk.

#38 March 16 2013

yasamoka

Ayman wrote:

I'm guessing here that having a tool which simply copies over the required registry keys and program files while maintaining latest versions of its software would be what you're talking about? If so, it could probably be done in a few hours in BASIC. A GUI, add software you need, it extracts them and adds them to its cache, etc...

#39 March 16 2013

Ayman

@yasamoka What I am suggesting is maintaining an up to date database of all free software for windows online. And a desktop the user runs on a fresh windows install, it checks what free software is available related to the categories chosen and the download urls for those software. Then downloads all those packages and when one is downloaded executes its installer in the background and monitors the process till its successfully done.

It can also be similar to Ubuntu's software center, but for free software on Windows. Users can install and update free software packages individually and search.

#40 January 4 2015

AvoK95

I would like to revive this topic.

I want to find an alternative to all the pirated software you guys use. Please post below so that I can find a free alternative. Here are a few:

- MS Office - LibreOffice, WPS Office
- Nero - CD Burner XP
- AV - AVG Free
- Photoshop - Gimp, Paint.Net
- Illustrator - Inkscape
- Premier - Lightworks
- WinRAR/WinZip - 7-Zip
- PowerDVD - VLC
- Free video editor and downloaded from any website - Freemake video converter
- Free audio converter - Freemake audio converter
- Free FTP client - Filezilla
- Free VM for professional use - VMWare Player
- Free VPN - Hotspot shield

Let me know if you use any other pirated software, so that I can find the free alternatives to those as well.

#41 January 4 2015

rolf

AvoK95 wrote:

For cloning I used to boot Linux (Ubuntu, normally) and use dd. I like the control it gives you, and you don't need much more if you know what you're doing.

Ayman wrote:

@yasamoka What I am suggesting is maintaining an up to date database of all free software for windows online. And a desktop the user runs on a fresh windows install, it checks what free software is available related to the categories chosen and the download urls for those software. Then downloads all those packages and when one is downloaded executes its installer in the background and monitors the process till its successfully done.

It can also be similar to Ubuntu's software center, but for free software on Windows. Users can install and update free software packages individually and search.

Nice idea. "Open source people" usually have a blasé attitude towards windows, and only adapt their software to Windows in the name of "freedom", but let's get real, most people use Windows, and it won't change until a good part of games (and I mean proper games) and software such as Adobe Photoshop runs under Linux with comparable performance and stability. So if you want to promote free source you have to accept and live with that, not live in an ideological bubble.

So, anyway, great idea.

Last edited by rolf (January 4 2015)

Board footer